PDA

View Full Version : SNO-FLY VIII (Midge Swap) Officially Closed (List Is Full)

Alpinefly
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Fall is here, though it is hard to imagine right now in Tucson, Arizona (& NO IT IS NOT A DRY HEAT). It is at this time each year we look toward the Holiday Seasons, and also time for the Annual Sno-Fly Midge Swap. Thanks to the many great veteran Midge Tyers over the years, & Rick Takahashi's book Modern Midges, which came out last year, this swap has become well known and a showcase for modern cutting edge Midge Design .
Last year we had two list of tyers, and still some had to be turned back (I certainly apologize to those that were unable to get on the list last year). Here is your opportunity. I must let you know that the list fills up fast, so sign up. You will be glad you did.
I hope this year, that each one of you on the list will research your local midge hatch (Diptera, Chironomid, etc.) & work to copy a local species. The midge pattern you tie can be any size that will copy a Midge at the Larva, Pupa, Emerger, or Adult Stage.
Deadline to send these midges in will be December 6th. This gives you plenty of time.
Make sure if you sign up on this list, you will commit (NO CHUFFERS ALLOWED) !!!
All Midges should be Toe Tagged with Name & Size, Your Name & e-mail address.
You can post the recipe on here.
Please send your midges in a Bubble Mailer (It protects the lovely Trout Candy you created).
Include another Self Addressed & Stamped Bubble Mailer inside. I promise your package will be returned promptly & with your midges well protected & undamaged.
Each year, one of the boxes are donated to Casting For Recovery (the women have always appreciated our donated box). I would also like to add a donation box for Project Healing Waters (our Veterans deserve this). THANKS & I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR MIDGE CONTRIBUTION !!! :cool:

1. John Larson (Alpinefly) SWAPMEISTER #16 Virtual Horse Fly; #32 Dead Virgin Pupa; #30 Dead Virgin Cripple
2. Andrew Baird Received
3. Roy Christie
4. oldman RECEIVED
5. Jax RECEIVED
6.garethl RECEIVED
7. Niklas Dahlin RECEIVED
8. Michael Johnson Received
9. Mike Hampe (crackleback) RECEIVED
10. Salmonid Received
11. avril RECEIVED
12. troutguy Received
13. Donated Box to Casting For Recovery
14. Donated Box to Project Healing Waters

oldman
10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
i would like to take part in the midge swap but i can't add my name to the list my name is dick wemmell my e-mail address is creativetyers@aol.com i go by the name oldman. if you could help me out i would appreciate it tight lines the oldman

AndyBaird
10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Oh yes, here we go!
I'll be working on something fresh and new using a hook steeped in US midge tying history... Mustad 94840 #28
A pattern for those who work the top 2" of water.
Thanks John, REALLY looking forward to this!

Andy

PS @ Roy, how many Sno-fly swaps have you done now?

Roy
10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
dunno, Andy, six? seven?
lots anyway.. and here's another one.

John, it's good to see Sno-Fly alive and well
Thank you for the invite.
Mine will be on a 94840 also, another 28

Hi, Dick, welcome to Sno-Fly VIII

cheers,
Roy

Alpinefly
10-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Welcome to Sno-Fly Dick !!!! We have plenty of spots left to fill. Jax is joining as well, but will be donating his box to a charity Fly Fishing organization (he says he has never tied midges in Scottish anger before; hmmmmm does that mean blood red Chironomid ??? lol :P ). Please feel free to share your midge knowledge on this post. I like to try to make this educational :ugeek: . Again, everyone come back with a fantastic box of midges (a pretty nice Christmas present). I may be a bit slow on response since my computer is in for repairs (some hacker on facebook got past my firewall with a virus & crashed it good :x ). Let's just say Andy :think: that Roy is a Veteran Sno-Fly tyer (pretty much has been in every one of these swaps from what I know). Got about 7 spots left I believe.

AndyBaird
10-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Mine will be on a 94840 also, another 28

yeah.... didn't think they made them anymore, must be few knocking about ;)

Alpinefly
10-11-2010, 01:12 PM
94840's are the standard Mustad hook (especially for Dry Fly); Mustad still puts them out. I still use them once in awhile. I have been wishing that someone would produce a long shank hook in #32, #30, 28, etc.

oldman
10-14-2010, 10:10 AM
my flies are ready please let me have the address so i can mail them tight lines dick

Alpinefly
10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow Dick, ya don't mess around, & the list is not even filled yet. You definetely get the first to show award !!!!!! :clap:
Hey guys, we got plenty of spots left on this list. I don't want to end up having to post on another site as well, since I feel we have great tyers on this site !!!!!!! SIGN UP !!!!! You have plenty of time to get these done (with a deadline of December 6th). You also come away with a fantastic box of midges for your effort !!!!!
Cheers & Tight Lines !!!!!!
John (Alpinefly) :cool:

oldman
10-16-2010, 12:48 PM
JOHN I'M NOT TO GOOD AT THIS COMPUTER! I SHOULD SHOOT IT AND PUT BOTH OF US OUT OF OUR MISERY. CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DOWNLOAD A PM. WOULD YOU PLEASE SEND ME ADDRESS TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS. CREATIVETYERS@AOL.COM TIGHT LINES DICK (OLDMAN)

Alpinefly
10-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Will do !!! We still have plenty of spots to fill in this midge swap !!! I would like to keep it posted on smallstreams, but if I do not get any more responses in a week, I will also post on another site as well. Sooooooo.........SIGN UP !!!!!!!!!

garethl
10-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi John,

Just read your PM, and you consider me signed up :D I'll tie a batch of size #24 chironomid emerger's which have been doing the business here in South Wales when the trout either get a little picky or are gorging on emergers.

Will be in touch shorotly for your address.

G :)

Alpinefly
10-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Cool, & welcome aboard !!!!! We have 5 spots left on the list to be filled !!!!! :cool:

AndyBaird
10-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Excellent! Nik and Gareth signed up... Serious players.

MikeHampe
10-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I saw your post about this over at flytyingforum.com and said I'm in over there. For good measure I guess I should say I'm in on here too. I was in on this swap last year and had fun tying them and even more fun fishing the flies I got back. I'm tying sort of a reverse shuttlecock in size 22 or 24.

-Mike
P.S. My screen name is "Crackleback" on flytyingforum.com.

Niklas Dahlin
10-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Thankīs for the invite John... Looking forward to participate in this one, you learn alot by playing with the small stuff. Will make a Swedish diptera pattern, maybe with some quill in it.

Later
Nik

Alpinefly
10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Excellent !!!!!!!!! We have 3 spots left on the Sno-Fly list !!!! Nice to have plenty of veteran Alumnae. Looking forward to some awesome midge patterns !!!! :cool:

Alpinefly
10-19-2010, 08:00 PM
THE LAST THREE SPOTS ON THE LIST HAVE BEEN FILLED !!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS SWAP IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELCOME ABOARD TO SNO-FLY VIII
MIDGE SWAP !!!! :clap: :clap: MIDGES WILL BE DUE DECEMBER 6th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Look Forward to seeing many great Midge patterns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers & Tight Lines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John (Alpinefly) :cool:

Alpinefly
10-20-2010, 06:43 PM
I received a very package of very nicely tied Chironomids from oldman !!!! Thanks for the hard work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpinefly
11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Gareth had a very good question as to the cost of shipping Flies from UK to USA (including the self address/self stamped return bubble mailer). I personally have counted on the Post Office to calculate cost (& and it never has been expensive). Maybe some of you tyes from the UK can better answer Gareth's question !!!!!

Jax
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi John; My Flies are tied and should be airborne by tomorrow.

Enjoyed tying some small stuff again. It was fun. Jax

reelsister
11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Flies are ready. Where do I ship? avril

Alpinefly
11-07-2010, 12:47 AM
http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/Alpinefly/?action=view&current=clip_image002.jpg

This is the link to Jax Blushing Midge (picture). Am not sure how to post pic from Photo Bucket.

Recipe:

Jax Blushing Midge

BODY : Light Brown Antron Yarn
RIB : Dark Brown Copper Wire
Wing : Light Brown Antron Yarn
Thorax : Peacock Herl from Sword
Head : Translucent Red Glass Bead with Silver in Hole
Hook : Kamasan B160 # 16
Thread : Benecchi #?

Alpinefly
11-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Really nice work avril !!!! I PM'd ya the addy to send midges to !!!!

Niklas Dahlin
11-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Flies ready to get airborne... Was thinking about making a Dipter pattern but changed my mind to a "Lazy manīs Black Gnat" that I have been considering for a while.

Partridge SLD #20
Pecock herl stripped (sealed with superglue)
Black Whiting saddle

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy245/Mulhonken/Catskills/lazyblackgnat.jpg

Later
Niklas

MikeHampe
11-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I just finished tying my flies and am ready for an address. I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow.

-Mike

AndyBaird
11-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey Sno-fly crew... deadline is approaching :shock:

My offering is now tied, will tag, pack and post this weekend.
Thought long and hard about what to share, and decided on this generic adult midge that fishes well on the local burn AKA Roy's burn.
During early through late evening from mid Summer to the season's close, the air fills with small, light coloured midges - white, grey and pale yellows. The red tailing is purely a trigger - and it works. The mallard flank fibres suggest a trailing shuck. Light dun hackle aids visibility, and whilst I usually clip the hackle so the fly rides low and hook ups aren't diverted by stiff, genetic hackle, I'll leave that to you - drift with, clip and drift without. The extended tails certainly stabilise the fly during the drift on a full collar hackle.

Ghost Midge (Flesk):
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/VooDooBiology/28ghostmidgeFlesk3.jpg

Hook: Mustad 94840 #28
Thread: Uni Trico 17/0
Body: dubbed with natural mole, to add a little form and texture
Tailing: Microfibbets, red-brown (curled lightly between thumbnail and index finger)
Shuck: Mallard flank, two barbs
Hackle: Whiting Bronze grade midge saddle, light dun

Offline and out...

Alpinefly
11-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Wow !!!!!!!!!! Every thing is looking real sweet !!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
I have been playing around with a lot of different new designs !!!!!!!!!!
Might even throw in the Virtual Horse Fly, as well since that also counts as a Diptera !!!!!!!!!!
Major tying shift after cranking out 8 dozen BLM Nymphs !!!!!!! LMAO :crazy:

MikeHampe
11-16-2010, 03:15 PM
[attachment=0:26e5xy0c]midge.jpg[/attachment:26e5xy0c]
Here they are.
Backwards Shuttlecock
Hook: TMC 2488 #24
Thread: 14/0 olive
Abdomen: Olive stretch tubing
Thorax: Dark olive SLF dubbing
Wing: CDC
I have a hard enough time threading my tippet to these little hooks with a clean eye much less with a bunch of CDC in the way so I started tying them backwards to keep the eye clear. Just remember to degrease your tippet.

-Mike

garethl
11-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Looking fantastic guys!!! Mine went in the post today, fourteen size #24 chironomid emergers which work very well on my home streams and rivers :) Hope you like!!

http://www.ffisw.com/images/smallstreams/101117_chironomid_emergers.jpg

http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/101020_chironomid_emerger.jpg

Hook: Varivas 2200BL-B, #24
Thread: Sheer 14/0, black
Body: Tying thread
Wing/Shuck: Micro Flash, pearl
Wing: Three CDC feathers, natural
Thorax: Squirrel dubbing, natural

salmonid
11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Need an addy. Will finish up this weekend and get them out!

Alpinefly
11-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I am slobbering, just plain slobbering (I am sure the trout will too) with all the great midge patterns I have seen so far. Have been very busy at the vise with fly orders. I also received some great news 3 days ago and feel rather blessed (nice with Thanksgiving coming up). Brian Wise of Feather craft called me. frankly it was rather funny that he e-mailed me saying he needed my phone number to give me and others updated information. At this point a few of you are still scratching yer hackles saying "Huh" ??? Brian not only works for Feathercraft, but hosted the 2010 Fly Tying Competition through Feathercraft Fly Tying and Rainy's. So the phone rings with a number of a 417 area code. Not knowing who's number that was, I did not answer. Brian leaves me a message to call him. I e-mail him back telling him sorry I missed his call and to call me back when he can (Hmmmm... enough of the phone tag right ???). Brian calls me and starts out with , "I feel like a radio DJ, you know, the ones that call telling someone that they won their contest.....Yada Yada Yada". I went, ohhh, it's Yada Yada Yada (laughing & still clueless to the reason of the call........yep I am blonde, even if the blonde has grayed lol). Brian goes, "your pattern won, it is in the top three"; and that means all kinds of cool prizes, and my pattern will go into production with Feathercraft & Rainy's (it will be in the 2011 catalogues).
Now I submitted a few (?) of my patterns (like overkill). The winning pattern was my Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larvas. Not sure as of yet if this means I am the Grand Prize winner (the top three all get their patterns into production, as well as loads of neat prizes). He also mentioned with a strong hint that it gets my foot in the door for many of my other patterns to go into production with Feathercraft and Rainy's.
With Orvis also taking interest (I don't know yet what they will put in their future catalogues) in many of my patterns as well, I have been really cranking at the vise. Brian (Wise) wanted me to spread the word to everyone about the 2011 Fly Tying Competition (Through Feathercraft & Rainy's). It never ceases to amaze me how many fantastic fly tyers there are out there. Take a look at the patterns submitted in the Feathercraft/Rainy's Fly Tying Competition, and you will find some fantastic recipes. The other moral of this story is preserverance. This is the third competition that just the Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larvas have been in (it did not win the Fly Tyer/Catskill, nor the competition for being a Fly Tyer for Team USA in the World Fly Fishing Championships in Sweden). When you believe in your patterns like I do (the proof is on the water), you keep putting that pattern out there. My friend Rick Takahashi once told me (he is a designer for Umpqua) that you could submit a lot of patterns to a certain company, and maybe one will be accepted. Having come out of the music world (Undergrad & Graduate Music Schools can be pure hell and very unkind), you develop a thick skin when it comes to criticism and rejection, and if you want to make it, you learn preserverance and hard work very quickly. I joke around that Fly Tying is what unemployed Music Teachers (& Musicians) do. That is really a blessing; that you work at something you enjoy ( and Fly Tying and Fly Fishing is loads of fun).
With Thanksgiving coming up, I am really blessed and thankful to count you who are great Fly Fishermen (& women), and Fly Tyers as my friends, and experience the beauty and serenity that only smallstreams (all fishing waters for that matter) provide.

If I don't say it later, HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers & Tight Lines !!!!!!!!!!
John (Alpinefly)

Jax
11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Congatulations John; Go for it mate and I am sure doors will open. As you say Keeping on Keeping on will eventually pay dividends. :clap: :clap: Jax

Alpinefly
11-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Received package from Mike Hampe . Really Excellent Trout Candy Mike :thumbup: . I have really been enjoying my time at the vise, and I hope you have too. The time is flying by real fast. I am sitting down to the first of my Thanksgiving feast (our Apartment Complex is having a Thanksgiving Potluck....Yum) !!!!!!! Will need to get out and fish just to work off all that food.

reelsister
11-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Fabulous John! :thumbup: Big congratulations and a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Alpinefly
11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Jax and reelsister !!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE !!!!!!!!
I will post an update as to what Sno-Fly packages I have received. The deadline to mail midges in is looming real fast.
Can't believe Thanksgiving is already here (Tomorrow). Already putting a 22 pound bird into the Vertical Brinkman Smoker to Hickory Smoke, and my wife Lori has a smaller bird to bake. Will be going over to the in-laws for Thanksgiving feast, on top of our own feast that we are having. Our apartment complex already had a Pot-Luck Thanksgiving feast this last Friday (will see today at the Doctor's office if I have put on the pounds yet........I hope not) !!!!!!
Check out the article on Roy (Christie's) Reversed Parachutes in Hatches Magazine. There also is an article in their on Ulf Hagstom's pattern. Two very great tyers & congrats to both of them. :clap:

If anyone needs the mailing address to send the Sno-Fly Midges to, you can contact me right away my sending a message to:
3165168606@tmomail.net I will get the message a lot faster since this is my cellphone e-mail

Alpinefly
11-30-2010, 02:54 PM
I have posted updates to the list as to who I have received packages from. A very tasty package came to me yesterday
from Niklas Dahlin !!! THANKS FOR THE EXTRA STUFF. HMMMMM :think: I must brush up on the Swedish. LMAO
I believe this leaves 5 packages left to receive. The deadline is comeing upon us very fast. As Larry The Cable Guy would say to those of you procrastinating......."GET ER DONE" !!!!!!!! ;)

Alpinefly
12-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know who troutguy is ??? :problem: He is on the list, but I cannot find him on the membership list :? , and he has not contacted me. If any of you know him, let him know that the deadline to get midges in is December 6th !!!!

salmonid
12-05-2010, 02:23 PM
John, Woo Hoo!! Good going on your win.

Umm, being technologically challenged, I am unable to insert images into a post on this forum.
I encountered difficulties a couple weeks ago trying to make a post on fly rods, including images.
Now, I'm trying to post a sequence of images I took while tying my sno fly submissions for this swap.
Could you pm me an address I could send the images to as an email and have you post them in the forum??
Perhaps somebody else will have more luck than I. Gus has coached me in this but I am still too "challenged" to manage this task.
There is a sequence of 13 images with tying steps for each.
Pretty please? :crazy:

salmonid

Alpinefly
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Today (December 6th) is the Sno-Fly Deadline !!!! I have heard from everybody. What I have yet to receive I expect should (?) be in the mail by now. I received two really fine packages of Midges from troutguy and Salmonid.
Still waiting on Roy Christie, Andy Baird, and Michael Johnson. The Midges that have come in so far have been fantastic (I am ready to head to the Juan right now lol) . You will be rather surprised as to what I do this year. Let's just say that you are going to see two different extremes when it comes to the Diptera species !!! I don't know about you, but smoke seems to be comeing off my vise !!!!!!! :lol:

Alpinefly
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
To give a recent post deadline update, I received a very nicely tied package of Midges from Andy Baird.
I am still waiting on Roy Christie (whose package is in the mail and on the way over the Big Pond), and Michael Johnson
(who has not contacted me after leaving him a voice message and e-mail).

Alpinefly
12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Have received Mike Johnson's Thread Chironomid (has San Juan written all over it). Very nice :bigthumb: !!! We have one package left to arrive. Roy Christie mailed his package of Midges 10 days ago :problem: . Me thinks the Royal Boat Captain has taken a liking to our Tequila and just may be passed out somewhere :crazy: . I do hope he stumbles in today. :sick: :rpuke: .......uhhhhhhhh no puking on deee midges !!!!!!
Once Roy's package arrives, I can get everything back out in the mail to all of you. ;)

Today's Addendum.......No Roy Package Yet !!!!!! Is there Midge Fishing in BF Egypt ??? Well, hopefully the Royal Boat Captain will come stumbling in Monday (?) :?

Alpinefly
12-23-2010, 03:01 PM
This may be the million dollar question for the ages........WHERE IS ROY'S MIDGES ???????? :think:
We are at the mercy of the United States Postal Service (as well as maybe UK Postal Service, & Customs).
I hope they arrive soon, so as the Sno-Fly packages can be sent out soon !!! Roy's Midges are worth the wait (I promise you) !!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:

Roy
12-26-2010, 10:23 AM
OK, those have gone forever... :x :x

I've made a new set :o
:D
BUT
the next post is on Wednesday.
If you guys will wait until New Year this batch should be at Alpinefly's house.
If the first batch arrives meantime, then wait for these anyway and you get two.
OK?

The first set was -
#28 94840, white thread
distressed motherofpearl lurex body
grey hackle
dubbing thorax

These are -
#24 TMC 508
rusty brown thread
krystalflash rib
grey hackle
oh - and a couple #28s

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/RoyChristie/SmallstreamsSnoFly24s.png

Alpinefly
01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
With the wait, it motivated me to tie a third set of midges for everyone :) ; then Mikey (Johnson) reminded me that I usually tie 3 sets of midges :eh: . Could not be anything like last year with two list of swappers ( :shock: ohhhhhh my poor Bi-Focally impaired eyes will never be the same) !!!!!! :lol:

Roy
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Still no Roy flies?
do I have to do a third set also?
:shock: :?

Alpinefly
01-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Roy,
As I mentioned before, you should not have to tie a third set. I can maybe understand a package getting lost in the mail the first time (even though it is hard to :roll: ), but when you send it a second time, and it does not (as of yet) show up (twice in a row ???), that is plain "F"ing ridiculous. What is worse is The Postal service's response that they are not responsible :wtf: for lost packages. :x I will wait to the end of the week, then will send Sno-Fly packages out. Either way you will get a box of midges. If after the fact, your midges do arrive (after I have sent out the packages), I will eat the postage :rpuke: (should shove the Airmail stamps up their bloody inefficient arse :twisted: ), and make sure that everyone on the list gets a Roy Special (ya sure that there is not a Top Secret :shh: Pattern in there that Scotland Yard might of picked up on.....let alone the United States Customs ??? :think: ) !!!

Roy
01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Meanwhile,
the flies still have not arrived
and
I have discussed this offline with Mr Alpinefly
I want you to get a fly each as you have waited so long and I'm about to get them in the mail tomorrow A.M.
new recipe
Mustad 94840 #28
rusty orange Gordon Griffiths thread
Distressed M-O-Pearl lurex
Blue dun hackle

Pic in a minute...
So wait another week while these get delivered under armed gourd

OK

Roy
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ud3ewBpURd4/TTTK-q1pi1I/AAAAAAAAAFQ/FPgh9EiNWXU/s400/Set3.png

WILL be in registered, recorded, signed-for, insured and threatened
first thing in the morning
:o

They are en route Tuesday 18th

salmonid
01-18-2011, 01:14 PM
SU-WEET! I love the little ones. These will be well worth the wait.
'Gosh these look great.
NICE job, both host and tier! :clap:

Alpinefly
01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I want to thank everyone for their patience. :clap: There will be a delay on getting midge packages sent out at least a week at Roy's request. Kudos :bigthumb: to Roy for all the work he has done on this Sno-Fly Swap. He sent the first set of midges out 15 plus days before Christmas. They never arrived in the mail. Roy sent out the second set of Midges December 29th. Once again, the Midges never arrived. Most people by now would say ohhhhh fark it all !!! :roll: Roy has tied a third very beautiful set, as well as sent this registered. I too shall threaten Lizzy's Royal Mail as well as the U.S. Postal system :x (their answer to the lost packages twice in a row was that they are not resposible for lost mail or packages........Ya got to be kidding me !!!! :problem: Who the Sam Bloody Hell is responsible for delivery of our mail if not the Postal service ??? :wtf: This is the first time in all the swaps I have hosted and participated in that I have seen such a problem with the Postal service. I assure you that Roy's tying is well worth the wait !!!!! :bigthumb:

rossa
01-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Will there be photos?

Alpinefly
01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Whoever wants to photograph the Midges (anyone who is on the list; I do not have a photography set-up....maybe one of these days), I would very much appreciate it . ;) Roy, I wonder if anyone got a pic of that Flameing Donkey leaping :o to his demise over the Grande Canyon Rim (Barry & Cathy Beck photo in Fly Fisherman Magazine ???) LMAO :lol: I may light another Donkey up when set #3 arrives. :twisted: If set #1 ever was to arrive, I have some special lighter fluid to flame out that Donkey (Green Label Jack Daniels, use 1/2 half to light dee Donkey and drink the other half). :cool:

Alpinefly
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Roy's set #3 finally arrived in the mail (via Donkey popsickle) !!!! I will sort all midges out, and get the Sno-Fly packages ready to send back out in the mail tomorrow. At the rate of postal service, this is going to turn into one sweet box of Valentine's Day Trout Candy !!!!!!!!!!! ;) If you have not yet posted your Midge recipe, please do so.
If anyone can step up and photo these Sno Flies to post on here, I sure would appreciate it !!!!!!! THANKS !!!!!!!!!!

Alpinefly
02-15-2011, 08:52 PM
All Sno-Fly Packages have been posted !!!!!!!!

1. Let me know when you get your package (it was packaged the best way possible; some of you sent very small boxes, so a lot has been crammed in what space was provided).

2. If you have not done so already, please post your Midge pattern recipe.

3. Let me know if you are interested in photographing and posting photographs of the Swap Midges (I'd appreciate anyone who would step up to do this).

4. Thanks for your patience (I feel it was well worth waiting for with great Midges from everyone).
Special kudos to Roy Christie who went above and beyond Sno-Fly duty and tied three sets of #28 Reversed Parachute Midges. I appreciate all of you who contributed in making this once again, a great Midge Swap !!!

MikeHampe
02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
I got my flies today. Well worth the wait. I'd take pics but my camera currently resides somewhere in the Little Piney(possibly th Big Piney by now).

-Mike

Alpinefly
02-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm going to wait for everybody to get their Sno-Fly package, then I will post the recipes for my Midge patterns.
Mike, you must have received your package via Flameing Donkey :lol: !!!!!!!!!

Roy
02-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks to all who took part in this, I got my set of flies today;
thanks John for sticking the course through all my postal nightmare, glad they arrived at last. Looks like US to UK is more efficient for sure.
Thanks everybody, John, you are a star
cheers,
Roy

Niklas Dahlin
02-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Got my set.. Canīt tell how they look yet.. need a magnifier first :D

They all were super nice.. thankīs John for hosting and all participants.

Later
Niklas

garethl
02-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Mine arrived yesterday guys, and all are fantastic!!! Now that's an envelope with some skill!

My pattern and it's make-up are listed below, but if it helps, I'll take photos of everyone's patterns this evening and will post on here shortly after.

Thanks again everyone, and a special thanks to John to organising it all :D

http://ffisw.com/images/chironomid_emerger.jpg

Hook: Varivas 2200BL-B, #24
Thread: Sheer 14/0, black
Body: Tying thread
Wing/Shuck: Micro Flash, pearl
Wing: Three CDC feathers, natural
Thorax: Squirrel dubbing, natural

reelsister
02-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I love the flies! Thanks so much to everyone who participated. I feel inspired. Looking forward to trying these on my next fishing trip.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j373/reelsister/Avsmidgeemerger.jpg

Tying video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-uJukCcemI

Alpinefly
02-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks Gareth. I would appreciate anyone who wants to step up and take pics of the Midges. I will post my recipes Monday. I am soooooooo ready for a good fishing trip !!!!!!!!! ;)

garethl
02-28-2011, 06:36 AM
My apologies guys, I was a little pressed for time over the weekend, but will make sure to take the photos by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Alpinefly
02-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Ahhhhhhhh...the suspense !!!! LMAO :lol: BTW (& just a bit off the subject of Midges for a moment), the 2011 Feathercraft Catalogue is out, and you will be able to see my Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva . Later, and by August, it will be in Rainys Catalogue (and hopefully with all the colors; it only shows the Chartreause and Brown in the Feathercraft Catalogue). I do have a Tutorial video posted on my Facebook profile for this pattern. Also the 2011 Feathercraft Fly Tying Contest is in full swing, so get those patterns in !!! You could get your juicy pattern into production (plus win some nice prizes to boot. I surely am enjoying that Renzetti that was just one of the many prizes.
OK, back to the Midges. I hope you will get a hold of Rick Takahashi's book, "Modern Midges". Besides a lot of great patterns (with pics and recipes) in all the Midge Stages (you will recognize some past and present Sno-Fly Tying veterans), there is some fantastic advise on Midge fishing tactics. Fishing a size 32 Adult Midge is not as hard as you may think (even though some people still don't believe you can catch large trout on such a small hook).
Thanks again to all of you who contributed (Just such a fantastic box of Midges. Hope to see all of you next year. With that said, here are my recipes to the Midges I submitted.

#16 Virtual Horse Fly (proving not all Diptera are microscopic):

Hook: Gamakatsu C12 size 16 ( or TMC 2487)
Thread: 8/0 Gray

Step 1. Start gray thread behind hook eye. In a small square of Organza (this fabric is used in wedding veils and can be bought at Fabric Stores like Jo Annes) you will enclose 2 red midge glass beads; catch this right behind the hook eye and figure 8 wrap twice in between the two beads (enclosed in the organza). Wrap down a bit to where the Fly Thorax will begin, then snip off the excess. Dab some super glue to the wrapped down thorax so the eyes don't turn on you.

Step 2. Wrap thread down to half way of the hook curve. Tie in a small strip of Closed Cell foam (white). You will color this strip of closed cell foam with an Olive Prisma Color Marker. Now tie in 10 strips of Peacock Herl at the sam spot. Wrap the strip of foam up the hook to where the Thorax begins. Tie off and snip off the excess. Now take one strand of Peacock Herl and wrap up the hook to where Thorax begins and tie off (snip off the excess). Do the same with a second strand of Peacock Herl (covering the gaps that were left on the body). Take remaining strands of Peacock Herl and pull up and over body, tie off and snip excess.

Step 3. Take a small strand of White Flexi Floss, tie in at Thorax and wrap up to behind the eyes, tehn tie off. You will then bring the thread back to where the Thorax begins. Color the Thorax with Olive Prisma color, then Blue Prisma Color over that. Turn the fly upside down. You are ready to add the insect legs (Vili Auti Style).

Step 4. Vili Auti insect legs. Pluck a Pheaseant Fiber ( there will be a bit of a hooked foot at the end depending on the speed of pluck. You may want to trim the hooked foot a bit. Bring the Pheasant up and under the thread, I usually have the hooked foot on the leg faceing toward the eyes, pull the leg into proper length and bring the second Pheasant fiber up and under the thread, gentley pulling it to the same leg length. Add Super Glue in front of and behind the base of the legs, and trim excess carefully. You will bring the thread to the next position for the next set legs, repeating this step for all six legs. I find that watching Oliver Edwards Tying his Hydropsyche Caddis on Essential Elements demonstrates the Vili Auti Style of adding Insect legs the best (I do have a filmed tutorial I hope I can post at a later date; you can also watch my Hydo-Psycho Seres Caddis Larva Video on my Facebook Profile page to get an idea of how to do Vili Auti style legs).

Step 5. I bring thread back up between legs (all six) carefully to where the Thorax begins. I will touch up the thorax with Blue Prisma Color marker. I bring the Fly upright and tie in two strips of Stalcup Mdalian sheeting (make an x with the two strips and secure tie in at the x). I tie in two strands of Peacock sword, and wrap twice, then tie off. I carefully whip finish behing the first rear set of legs (be carefule as to not catch the legs up in the whip finish.

Step 6. I coat the Thorax & Eyes with Sally Hansen's hard as nails (you will want more then one coat). Look how realistic and glowing the eyes look. Nice Irridescent Blue/Green Thorax comes out with the Nail Polish. Looks like the real thing (make sure yer spouse don't get the Fly Swatter). I assure you the Trout, Grayling (Bass or any other Pan Fish) will think your Horse Fly is real and slam it !!! Where there is water, there are Horse Flies; and where there are Horse Flies and water, there are hungry fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Please feel free to e-mail me if you have tying questions (or you can call).

Size 30 Dead Virgin Pupa

Hook: TMC 518 Size 30
Thread: 14/0 Black
Tail: Lemon Wood Duck
Body: UV Blue Strand of Angel Hair (can find this amongst the strands of Peacock Angel Hair Pack). Coat with Sally hansens Hard as Nails (body up to 3/4 hook shank)
Thorax: Tie 3 to 4 strands of Lemon Wood Duck. Tie in strand of Blue Peacock Sword & wrap twice, tie off, trim excess. Bring strands of Lemon Wood Duck up and over, tie off then whip finish
***Note: I dowse with floatant to give it a bit of a lift and fish just a bit below surface film.

#32 Dead Virgin Cripple

Hook: TMC 518 size 32
Thread: 14/0 Gray
Body: Blue UV strand of Angel Hair (can be found amongst Peacock Angel Hair Strands); coat with Sally Hansens Hard as Nails (clear). Body is 3/4 hook shank.
Wing: Natural CDC tied Down Wing.
Head: Callibeatis UV Ice Dubbing dubbed lightly & Whip Finish.

**** Note: Both the #30 Pupa, and #32 Cripple are fished with a 7x or an 8x tippet.
Please feel free to e-mail, PM, or call me if you have any questions !!! Tight Lines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Larson (Alpinefly)

garethl
03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Sorry for the lateness in getting around to the photos guys, but hopefully this is worth the wait...awesome midges! Love them!

Hopefully I've managed to get them all in, let me know if not. All below for you viewing pleasure in alphabetical order.

Well done guys! :cool:

Andy Baird - #28 Ghost Midge
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Andy-Baird-28-Ghost-Midge.jpg

Gareth Lewis - #24 Chironomid Emerger
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Gareth-Lewis-24-Chironmid-Emerger.jpg

Jax - #20 Blushing Midge
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Jax-20-Blushing-Midge.jpg

John Larson - #16 Virtual Horse Fly
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-John-Larson-16-Virtual-Horse-Fly.jpg

John Larson - #30 Dead Virgin Pupa
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-John-Larson-30-Dead-Virgin-Pupa.jpg

John Larson - #32 Dead Virgin Cripple
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-John-Larson-32-Dead-Virgin-Cripple.jpg

Michael Johnson - #20 Pankin Ho Zebra
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Michael-Johnson-20-Pankin-Ho-Zebra.jpg

Mike Hampe - #24 Reverse Shuttlecock
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Mike-Hampe-24-Reverse-Shuttlecock.jpg

Niklas Dahlin - #20 Lazy Man's Black Gnat
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Niklas-Dahlin-20-Lazy-Mans-Black-Gnat.jpg

Oldman - #16 Red Pupa
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Oldman-16-Red-Pupa.jpg

Reelsister - #20 Midge Loop Wing Emerger
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Reelsister-20-Midge-Loop-Wing-Emerger.jpg

Roy Christie - #28 Reverse Parachute Emerger
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Roy-Christie-28-Rever-Parachute-Emerger.jpg

Salmonid - #32 Sno-Fly
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Salmonid-32-Sno-Fly.jpg

Troutguy - #20 Emerger
http://www.ffisw.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/110302-Smallstreams-Midge-Swamp-Troutguy-20-Emerger.jpg

Alpinefly
03-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Very nice Gareth !!!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!! Ready for a major road trip and some serious Midge fishing !!!!!!!!!! ;)

Jax
03-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Excellent Photos Gareth and, what a great selection. Well done all. Jax

Alpinefly
03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
***To all tyers on the Sno-Fly VIII list.*** If you have not posted your pattern recipe, please do so !!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Alpinefly
03-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Hey all you Sno-Fly Tyers, still waiting for those of you who have not yet posted your midge recipes to get them posted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!