PDA

View Full Version : Loafing Comfortably at Home

Ernest
08-29-2010, 10:17 AM
After our move to a new home, described in an earlier thread, the chest pains just didn't want to go away. I hoped I'd just pulled a muscle, but eventually I had to face the fact that I couldn't walk the 200 yards to the mailbox without stopping to birdwatch, and I went to the doctor's office. It was a stable angina, with professional attention required.

I got a lot of cautious advice on the use of nitroglycerin, and several people quizzed me on whether I knew what 9-1-1 meant. I never got to calling 9-1-1.

I am now loafing comfortably at home with a stent in my left descending coronary artery. The rest of the arteries looked good. The right side was growing toward the left in compensation, and the cardiologist said because of that I should have survived a heart attack, if I'd waited long enough to have one. None of the EKGs showed any permanent damage. I have a pailful of drugs and I signed up for a drug study. If I follow the literature I brought home, I'll change my diet from cheese and bratwurst to nuts, leaves, and berries.

Okay, so I'm milking it a bit at home. They told me I shouldn't do anything to strain the porthole that's healing in my right groin. Just loafing around, that's all.

The lesson, I guess, is don't wait too long.

Now I have a little time to work on two stories, a long one and a short one, that I've been thinking about for a while. I'm trying to keep the loafing from getting in the way of that.

soupmix
08-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Glad to hear you are doing well. And for the record, there is nothing wrong with "milking it home." =)

mems
08-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey Earnest, sorry to hear about the heart condition. Glad they caught it and hopefully you will be back on the water soon. Don't write any really racey stories and get all worked up. Taking it easy can still be fun. Mems.

Ernest
08-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the comments.

While it's still early, it seems I'm in for an uneven recovery. It shouldn't be too long before I can harness a horse or lift a canoe onto the truck. On the other hand, I plan to ease very slowly into taking out the trash, mowing the lawn, or moving furniture.

erics beetle
09-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the comments.

While it's still early, it seems I'm in for an uneven recovery. It shouldn't be too long before I can harness a horse or lift a canoe onto the truck. On the other hand, I plan to ease very slowly into taking out the trash, mowing the lawn, or moving furniture.

You have got the hang of an extended recovery very well.. I completly dislocated my right knee and bust my knee cap seven years ago after an extended recovery period I was able to wade chest deep after 3 years. However my sons still cut the lawn and the hedges to this day because dad isnt up to it ... :lol:

Andy

Ernest
09-09-2010, 06:03 AM
I was back at my day job on the third day after my procedure, but there's no strain in that. On the weekend I harnessed and drove each of our two horses in turn, because they needed the work, and I spent some time on the restoration of the antique sleigh that came with our new property. Still haven't been able to take out the trash, though.

Yesterday my wife found a little garden center nearby that had an end-of-the-season sale, and when I got home we had a cherry tree, a couple of apple trees, some grape vines, roses, and other assorted living stuff. Before dinner I dug holes and planted the cherry and apple trees. Still don't have the strength to use the vacuum cleaner, though.

My wife is going to Chicago this weekend for a family wedding. I'm staying behind alone. I'll be checking out those trout streams to the north, and maybe ranging as far as the old home place, to fish some familiar water too. I just wish I had the strength to mow the lawn.

I recommend these heart procedures to anyone who needs one, but boy, the recovery is so uneven. Who knew?