PDA

View Full Version : South Fork of the Flathead

DaveChenault
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
A dream trip for any backpacker, boater, or fly fisher. And for good reason.

A week ago I was to arrange it with my wife that I could get dropped off at the Lodgepole Creek TH (near Ovando, MT), and picked up three days later at the Spotted Bear Ranger station. 3 days was rushing a bit, but such opportunities need to be seized when available.

The trip was made possible by the amazing Alpacka raft, and the Tenkara Amago. I was able to carry in a boat, paddle, PFD, fly fishing rig, camping gear, and three days of food in a 55 liter pack that weighed 25 pounds at the start. The video the pictures that follow do a poor job of evoking an ineffable trip.

http://vimeo.com/14198032

ksbioteacher
08-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks--that's inspiring. Now I have a new goal....

Was that section relatively "flat" no pun intended or did you have negotiate some hazards?

DaveChenault
08-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I ran the lower part of Youngs Creek, as well as all of the South Fork down to Spotted Bear except Meadow Creek Gorge. The biggest hazard on the upper half of the S Fork itself was running aground on gravel bars. There are some big riffles/small rapids in the middle and lower sections, though they were trivial at the low water I had.

Most folks go in July, in big rafts (that get horse packed in), and count on having a few class 3 rapids to run.

Brooktrout
09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
nice pics and trip. i used to live in kalispell and spent a lot of time up on the north fork.
both forks are really beautiful country. i miss MT. your're a lucky man.