PDA

View Full Version : A Matter of Survival

BrkTrt
07-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Here in Connecticut we have not experienced signifacant rain in about 4 weeks, and this is having a diasterous impact on the small wild trout streams.

Last Friday I took a walk along one of my special streams and observed the low water first hand. As I walked I took stream temps and found a consistant 68 degree water temp, which is critical, and I'm sure it would have been higher if not for the ample leaf canopy. I saw many 3 to 5 inch brook holding in the riffles in an attempt to gather the most oxygen, and rapidly darting for cover when I was spotted. There are still good flows in some of the runs, and the undercut banks still hold cover for them.

The time for rain is now and another week of dry weather will definately decimate this stream.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN6425.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN6420.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN6409.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN6406.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN6412.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN6417.jpg

This little jewel stayed for a photo, then disapeared into the undercut.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN6436.jpg

Lets all hope for rain.

Thanks,

Brk Trt

greyfox
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Tuff pics to look at, we are getting some rain now, hopefully we will get more, I have not seen any of the small mountain streams by me, but I'm sure they are in the same condition, as fragile as Brookies are, they always find ways to survive

ryan
07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Tough to observe, for sure. My favorite stream often dries up in the headwaters this time of year. Somehow, the native Cutties survive - They find the springs, seeps and tribs that input cool, clear water. I suppose the best thing we can do is to rest the stream for a while.

Gerard
07-14-2010, 03:45 AM
We went through a similar drought a few years back. Not sure how the fish survive those temps but some always do. As I write this it is raining outside, with very cold temps and snow forecasted on the mountain peaks around Cape Town. Things will change for the better; you just need to keep the faith.

BrkTrt
07-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Brk Trt

Any good rain last night??? Up here in NH and Maine we got about 1/2 inch of rain and more coming, I have to check the stream flow chart to see how they are doing. Let us all know if the rain of last night and this morning has help the situation there in Conn.

Thanks
Lee

It did rain somewhat last night, with a better rain in now.

It should help.

Brk Trt

erics beetle
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Over on this side of the pond its really bad to.. I can see bits of river bed in my local streams that havent been seen for 50 yrs

Okemorse
07-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Just walked a few of my favorite central mass streams this past weekend to check on my "little friends" and unfortunately most of them were hanging on by a thread as you mentioned Brk Trt. :( Could have taken pics virtually identical to the ones you posted and was getting temp readings just slightly higher in most places. We also got some rain last night thank goodness....although levels were still low on my way to work but it should help regardless....the 10 day forecast doesnt look great but im keeping the faith. Everyone needs to be doing their rain dances before bed each night! In the meantime find sanctuary in cool basements tying flies... :D PS finally tied a half dozen Ausable Bombers this past week Brk....looking forward to floating them when fishing improves..

BrkTrt
07-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Just walked a few of my favorite central mass streams this past weekend to check on my "little friends" and unfortunately most of them were hanging on by a thread as you mentioned Brk Trt. :( Could have taken pics virtually identical to the ones you posted and was getting temp readings just slightly higher in most places. We also got some rain last night thank goodness....although levels were still low on my way to work but it should help regardless....the 10 day forecast doesnt look great but im keeping the faith. Everyone needs to be doing their rain dances before bed each night! In the meantime find sanctuary in cool basements tying flies... :D PS finally tied a half dozen Ausable Bombers this past week Brk....looking forward to floating them when fishing improves..

Yes every bit helps,

I've been looking at long range forecasts and not a lot of rain, but continued hot. Maybe one of those Tshowers will unload on the streams.

Great on tying the Bombers, they have been tearing up the browns and bows on CT's Farmington. Lots of cool water there.

erics beetle,

So the dry spell is reaking havoc in your area too. Keep the faith friend.

Brk Trt

Mostyn
07-15-2010, 05:32 AM
That is an extremely low water level; almost completely dry in places! - We've also had a dry spell in the UK, but the rain has put in an appearance for the last couple of days; and boy, did we need it.

Hope you get some wet stuff very soon! Let us know how that stream gets along in the future.

M

Ernest
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't know your New England streams. Here in the Midwest we have some spring creeks where the trout lead a pretty easy life, even in drought conditions. We also have some small freestone streams that are terribly susceptible to drought.

I've seen a couple of droughts on our freestone streams where there was no water at all flowing above ground between the pools. The streambeds looked like rough cobblestone sidewalks. In addition to the thermal problems in the summer, the fish that were gathered in the few pools were easy targets for herons, mink, and otters. If it didn't rain by fall, the spawning efforts went for naught, and if it didn't rain before winter set in, the ice on the shallow still pools would kill the fish.

The good news is that the fish always survived. Sometimes it took a year or two to get back to fishable populations, but the fish always survived as a race.

Good luck. I'm hoping it will rain.

Satoshi
07-16-2010, 08:46 AM
I wish I could give you some flooding water we have now in this country.
People are suffering from torrential rain, particularly in western part of Japan.
Many towns or cities are flooded. Several people have been killed by flooding rivers or land slides.
Fortunately, it is still OK in my place and in the northern part of the country, where I'm planning to go fishing next week.

Satoshi

BrkTrt
07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
I wish we could share the water we have now in this country.
People are suffering from torrential rain, particularly in western part of Japan.
Many towns or cities are flooded. Several people have been killed by flooding rivers or land slides.
Fortunately, it is still OK in northern part of the country, where I'm planning to go fishing next week.

Satoshi

Sometimes there are times when to much of a good thing can be bad.

I'm sorry for the devestation, and deaths.

But do enjoy your time on the stream, I'll be waiting for your report.

Brk Trt