PDA

View Full Version : Dam bushes!!

JoeE
06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi all, my local small stream is so overgrown that you can no longer see the path. it's covered in nettels brambles and long grass

Was wondering if any of your take anything to cut your way through cause am
sure breathable wellies can only take so much abuse.

Cheers
joe

Mostyn
06-11-2010, 05:03 PM
We have sections on our mountain stream, where you can only get further along by wading up stream for awhile! But I like it like that! It stops the ramblers and dog walkers from going any further! I know I know, it's selfish! - but I like it wild and natural!

Mostyn

rayfound
06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I'll do some pruning occasionally, but on small streams, I generally get in the water and wade straight up main street. May waders have 2oz of aquaseal on them from the blackberry brambles. Sharp thorns!

Alpinefly
06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I remember a place in Colorado called Rattlesnake Gulch (part of Forbes Trinchera Water Project). Brushy as heck and yes........loads of Rattle. Challenge to Fly fish and get good presentations, but when you do, you are rewarded with Monster Cutts & Cuttbows that are Tippet busters !!!!!!!!! I know a few places like that here in Arizona !!!!!!!!! I love the challenge !!!!!! I love the rewards even more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

jmcg
06-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Yup--this time of year makes for thick and green filling in any gaps that were and what were just over hanging branches are now nearly impenetrable canopies..
Yesterday, I spent a couple hours on a stream and had to either walk the water or at times, detour further out in the open woods to make it around. Sometimes carrying a rod through that thick stuff is down right difficult.
I love it! The water has a chance to stay cooler and trout will hold in the shady spots.

I don't carry any brush cutting implements.

WJG
06-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Not being able to see the path is a good sign to me. Undisturbed water ahead.
Almost as good is getting the spider webs in the face while walking the paths.
You get to check out what is flying and know nobody has passed in a little while.

JoeE
06-12-2010, 06:48 AM
I always find a miss a nice wee fihsing spot cause i haver had to cross a field or end up bloody losing the river, end up back trekking.

Here some quick pics i took of a wee local stream not far away. These are taken pretty far downsteam, theres about 2miles left d/s and 3 u/s.

http://img820.imageshack.us/g/img0514l.jpg/

while i was out seen some mayflies about, danny long legs also so am hoping theres a good spread later in the evening.

My Greys GS 7ft #2 should come into the tackle shop on Monday all going well, going to match that with a sonik sk3 lite reel.

Any N.Ireland members on board?

Thanks all.

JoeE
06-12-2010, 06:49 AM
I'll do some pruning occasionally, but on small streams, I generally get in the water and wade straight up main street. May waders have 2oz of aquaseal on them from the blackberry brambles. Sharp thorns!

great blog rayfound - bookmarked!!