View Full Version : "Bombers"

BrkTrt
06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/cape/DSCN5989.jpg

Brk Trt

Gentleshepherd
06-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Theya re really neat looking!

What's the recipe, Or did the cork influence your tying style! LOL!

ryan
06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Nice, Brk Trt! You've inspired me to tie some flies - something I should do more of.

Ryan

terry
06-02-2010, 01:45 PM
You can't beat the bomber. Great small stream fly!!!

trout-nut
06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I've already tied some up waiting for run off to get over with so I can test drive them on small streams around here. Hopefully in the next few weeks or so. :)

garethl
06-07-2010, 05:00 AM
That's a pattern that is (to my knowledge) yet to be really used over on this side of the pond, but I'm interested in giving them a go. Looks like we have a few new ties for the list.

Out of interest, what's your standard-size bomber?

BrkTrt
06-07-2010, 05:27 AM
That's a pattern that is (to my knowledge) yet to be really used over on this side of the pond, but I'm interested in giving them a go. Looks like we have a few new ties for the list.

Out of interest, what's your standard-size bomber?

garethl,

I tie them in size 12 to 16, and #14's are the best producers on the small streams.

I would be interested on how they would work on your streams.

Brk Trt

garethl
06-07-2010, 05:29 AM
garethl,

I tie them in size 12 to 16, and #14's are the best producers on the small streams.

I would be interested on how they would work on your streams.

Brk Trt

Thanks Brk Trt, that's fantastic! I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the reply!

G

Ernest
06-08-2010, 08:38 AM
In my neighborhood we have some different though similar flies. One popular heavily hackled dry is about like these bombers, but without the white wing. It's a good dry for fast water and pockets. I've tied a few bombers in past years. I like the white as a flag for me to track the fly on the current. But I put too much calf tail in the wing, and the fly wanted to flop over on its side. I'll do better with the next batch.

Another similar local fly is the Arrowhead, with grizzly and brown hackle palmered over a peacock body. I've seen poor imitations in fly shops, with too much hackle; the Arrowhead is correctlly tied with softer hackle, and not so much. It's designed to float for a bit, and then sink below ther surface and be retreived like a wet. Very effective in the Lake Superior watershed for stream brookies and browns.

rayfound
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Brk, you want to share a recipe for them? Seems like a different tie than the "Bomber" that's ties with spun deer hair and palmered hackle.

What do you use as the body material? Hackle fibers for the tail?

BrkTrt
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Brk, you want to share a recipe for them? Seems like a different tie than the "Bomber" that's ties with spun deer hair and palmered hackle.

What do you use as the body material? Hackle fibers for the tail?

reyfound,

I believe the Bomber you speak of is an Atlantic salmon dry fly. Its tied with spun deer hair.

This one is tied as a trout fly.

Here's the recipe.

Hook Mustad 9671
Tail, Woodchuck guard hair
Body, Austrailian possum, dyed rust orange
Hackle, brown and grizzly
Wing, calftail
Thread, hot orange.

Brk Trt