PDA

View Full Version : Finished work for the day

lawrenceh_w
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I headed to my local river after work last night (Tuesday) after a week of really sunny and hot temperatures here in the UK. The mayfly were finally hatching (at least 2 weeks later than last year).

I managed to do my usual and lose the first fish of the evening but then I crept into a spot known as Shady Corner. It's shady and a corner :geek:

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/lawrenceh_w/P5250074.jpg

I removed the small section above the butt from my March Brown 6'6" rod to make it a 5'6" rod, crept into position less than 10 foot from 2 feeding fish and flicked out an olive klinkhamer. First drift down a trout hit the fly ... and I managed to not set the hook :oops:

I sat down on the river bed for 10 minutes to wait for the fish to start feeding again ... which they did. More careful creeping got me back into position and I was ready to flick out the klink again. This time, second drift down a trout hit the fly ... this time I hooked it and landed a beautiful fish after a fierce fight.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww76/lawrenceh_w/P5250072.jpg

Feeling really pleased with myself I headed up river ignoring the feeding fish that was rising inside :shock: the overhanging branches ... that cheeky fish is sooooo safe.

About 50 yards up the river 3 or 4 fish were enthusiastically smashing into hatching mayfly. I managed to hook and land a big (2lb or thereabouts) fish which managed to wriggle free before I could snap a photo :(

Slightly further up andother pod of fish were rising ... hooked and landed a beautiful little fish. After that excitement put the fish down I decided to head home for my dinner. Which I think was well earned :D

BrkTrt
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Nicely done.

Brk Trt

troutrageous1
05-26-2010, 02:53 PM
I call one of my favorite spots Rocky Bend.

Nice post (& fish)!

soupmix
05-27-2010, 10:16 AM
That fish is a brown trout, because it is brown and a trout. :lol:

Mostyn
05-28-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi Lawrence,

Good report; and a nice photo of that Brownie, but a very light colour! Is the stream running over sand-stone?

lawrenceh_w
05-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Hi Mostyn,

The Whitewater is not a true chalk stream. At it's top end it runs over chalk but along most of it's length it runs over clay-type soil (i'm not sure of the geology but around Reading it's quite different to the chalk downs of Hampshire and the rest of Berkshire). It's not a clear river so soptting fish is quite hard unless they're rising.

The little trout I've caught have all been light yellow colourations but they seem to go quite silver when they get to about 6 or 7 inches.

Plus they stock the river but judging from the fins (no hint of damage) on this fish I think it's a wild fish.

Satoshi
05-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Lawrence,

You are very lucky to have such a stream with beautiful trout close to your home.
The trout must be wild as you say and in a very good condition with such a fat body.

Satoshi