PDA

View Full Version : ECHO CARBON FLY RODS?

Mostyn
05-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Now just like the majority of the "Small Stream Members" I use a cane rod! But earlier this week, I tried out an Echo Carbon 7ft.6in #3,weight -four piece Rod; and I was very impressed with it! I like the softer action rod; and the 7ft.6in, Echo Carbon, seemed to suit my style perfectly, great up close with a short line! And nice tight loops when casting a little distance! Aesthetically pleasing and very light. Anyhow :idea: Do any of you have an opinion on the Echo Rod? or maybe some of you use or own one? if there's anyone thinking of selling a 7ft.6in #3,weight Echo Carbon Rod! I may be in the market for one!

Would like to hear your thoughts?

Mostyn

Mostyn
05-17-2010, 01:37 AM
NO RESPONSE!

Very surprised!

Considering these rods are made in the USA, I thought the knowledge of them would be abundantly forthcoming!

gusstrand
05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I had a couple Echo rods and their plastic reels five or six years ago - it was a fine rod, I just was enamored with bamboo at the time and sold it to help finance one... Of course, now, I have a single 5wt Para boo that Shay built me some six years or so ago.

Zac Sexton
06-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Mostyn,

I have cast most models of Echo rods and like them very much. They are one of the more advanced rod companies out there. I had the chance to stop by their "office" a couple years ago, while travelling through Washington, working on my book, and cast several models, as well as get a tour on how they design the rods, and test their cast/fishablility. They are designed by the Rajeff brothers -- two of the best casters in the world. Good enough for them, is good enough for most, I figure. In general, they are more sensitive in the tip, but that sensitivity also helps the tip respond quickly and throw the tight loops you noticed with the 7'6", 3 wt. I don't own one, yet, but likely will in the near future. They are surely worth the investment.

Zac

Mostyn
06-05-2010, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the replies; Gus & Zac,

I liked the one I tried, I thought it was more mid action than tip, a slower actioned rod! Very light and a pleasure to cast!

I'm tempted to get one?? Although, just like Gus, I'm using a Cane (Bamboo) Rod for my stream fishing! But very tempted.

Mostyn

jimwright
08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
I have one and am very satisfied, the rod is very nicely finished and though all I've caught so far is a few small bass, I believe it will prove to be an excellent small stream/panfish rod. It seems to do everything well, roll-casting, soft, accurate short casts and can get a good bit of line out as well. Good luck finding a used one.

ksbioteacher
08-29-2011, 09:46 AM
I ended up purchasing this rod to replace the TFO rod I stupidly lost in last spring. Story here (http://smallstreams.com/content.php?127-Missouri-Trout-Quest). I fished with it all summer in a number of small streams--got to say that I like it quite a lot. I was able to throw streamers on small streams when I needed to....though that is not my preference. I fish mostly with mostly with dries and with this rod the casting and presentation was most usually without conscious thought. Only at the limits of my range and the rod's range did I have to work at making the presentation.