PDA

View Full Version : The Black Hills, South Dakota

Danny S
05-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Just a curiosity question: I am in Rapid City, SD, this week for some work. Three of us on this project went to see Mt Rushmore on Sunday, and yesterday ventured to Deadwood for dinner. I have seen a couple of beautiful stream (Rapid Creek and a few others) that look perfect for trout in a small stream setting. Anyone familiar with this area and, if so, are there any wild trout stream still in the Black Hills? I know there is a hatchery nearby, so I would guess they stock the streams, but not sure if they stock year-round or only during the high season. If I ever get back here, I may have to pack my gear and extend my stay--during the less windy season, if there is one. :)

greyfox
05-05-2010, 06:59 PM
The best way to find out is by wetting a line ;)

Brooktrout
05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
i did a little research on that once. there are some creeks and a few lakes that hold trout.
check this guy's shop/site out.
http://www.blackhillsflyfishing.com/

this is the number to his shop
605-341-2450

this is the latest fishing report

Local Fishing Report

Last Update: 4/27/10

Schedule a Guided Trip Today

Hot Patterns: #16-18 CDC Baetis Cripple, #16-18 BWO Comparadun, #18 Black F-Fly, #18 Black Parachute, #16-18 CDC Baetis Dun, #18 Black Copper John, Red Copper John, #16 Red Fox Squirrel Nymph, #14 Annelid, #20 Morgan's Midge, #20 CDC Midge Adult, Barr's Pure Midge Larvae Red, #20 Cream Midge Larvae, #18-22 Bubbleback Midges, Scud Patterns, San Juan Worms, Brown and Yellow Buggers.

General Note: Rain runoff has increased flows in most hills streams. Nymphing has been the most productive. Use two fly nymph rigs with a bit of weight. Good lead flies are san jaun worms, scuds, cranefly larvae. Drop a copper johh, red fox squirrel, or micromayfly nymph of the back.

Rapid Creek:

Flows are now in the 80 cfs range below the dam, and the mid 100's in town. Nymphing with scuds, wormsm and midge larvae has been productive. Streamers are working in the deeper runs and pools.

Spring Creek:

Stream is open and is fishing well through the bridges and up in the trailhead.

Castle Creek:

Open above Deerfield and fishing well.

Bighorn River, Mt

Flow Rate= 2100 cfs. Good hatches of Baetis and midges. Streamers such as Bow River Buggers or Bighorn Buggers continue to produce. Best fished on a sink tip line. Nymphing with scud patterns and red annelids has been productive. Sowbug patterns are productive as always.

Spearfish Creek:

Flow Rate = 100 cfs in the lower canyon. Flows higher in town. Nymph with San Juans and use a black or red copper john as a dropper.

Box Elder Creek:

Excellent nymph and streamer fishing has been reported in the Steamboat Rock area.

Sand Creek:

Good dry fly fishing with Midges.

Custer State Park:

Lakes are open. Early season fishing is great with buggers and mini leeches fished with a sinking line or a sinking leader.

Deerfield Lake:

Frozen

Sheridan Lake:

Thawed. Get out early for trout in the inlet. Pike fishing should pick up soon.

Pactola Lake:

Open. Fishing is picking up. Pike fishing should be productive in the coves.

Warmwater Fishing Report

Warmwater fishing is just around the corner. Fishing for white bass and smallmouth has begun in the Pierre area.

That's a wrap. Be sure to call us with any questions regarding guiding or fishing!

Stream Flows

Rapid Creek Below Pactola Dam - flow rate

Rapid Creek at Silver City - flow rate

Rapid Creek in Town - flow rate

Spearfish Creek in Spearfish Canyon - flow rate

Weather

Rapid City - NWS 7 Day Forcast

Send mail to flyfish@rapidnet.com with questions or comments. Dakota Angler & Outfitter 513 7th St. Rapid City, SD 57701 Phone - 605-341-2450 Fax - 605-341-1457

www.blackhillsflyfishing.com (http://www.blackhillsflyfishing.com)

www.flyfishsd.com (http://www.flyfishsd.com)

Copyright © 1997 - 2009, Dakota Angler & Outfitter, Portions of this site copyright © the contributors All rights reserved. This material is for personal use only. Do not distribute without prior written consent from each copyright holder.

Danny S
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for that info! I came totally unprepared this time, but if I get another work task to come up here, I'll plan the trip better so it includes some stream time.

The Rapid creek mentioned is one very nice looking stream.