PDA

View Full Version : SHINE or GLOSS

Jax
04-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi All; Do any of you tiers have a secret way to keep the Shine or Gloss on your Dubbing Fur you would be prepared to share?

I like to clip the fur off the pelts for my Hare and Wallaby Nymphs.Trouble is that over time everything dries out some and the fur looses its Natural Lustre.

Object of this post is hopefully to find a solution and keep the Shine. I wash my green pelts with a hot water salt solution then rinse well and re-wash using a good quality Hair Shampoo and dry before Clipping the fur. Looks good for a while then Dulls off some.

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated. Jax

Roy
04-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Jax,
I have not tried this but-
if you put it in a blender with a drop of washing up liquid in a half pint of hot water and run it for five seconds, it will wash it clean and restore lost moisture. Rinse well and allow to dry.
Try it - should have the same reaction as holding crumpled hackle over a steaming kettle - bursts back into shape.

fingers crossed for ya
:D
Roy

Jax
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks for help Roy. I will most certainly give it a try. Will post the outcome. :thumbup: Jax

Doctor
05-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Jax ,
my take would be a touch of conditioner ,might not be so good with flys you want to sink .
BTW I at long last seem to have mastered the roughy ,well at least they look almost as good as yours .
With my eyesight as it is I find using black silk hard what other colours would you use ,I am about to try a mahogany brown !

Jax
05-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Doctor; Glad to hear you are still using the Roughy. Can't see any reason why you cant use Brown Thread. One of my pals uses White and he still gets his share of silly trout.

Recently I have been trying different materials for the Wing and Tail and have found that Antron Yarn does a good job. It is a lot softer than Calf Tail as you can imagine, and The Trout seem to enjoy them and do not hesitate to play the game.

I will E Mail you a Step By Step to show how I do the wings and Tail. Have Fun. Jax

Roy; I have tried your Fix for the fur, and it seems to have done the job. Am planing to try a Drop or two of Olive Oil in the next mix. Thanks for the input. Jax

Roy
05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi, Jax,

Glad that seems to have helped
re; olive oil...
you will be applying the oil after washing and drying I guess
Adding it to the washing liquid in water would make an interesting emulsion

You could try adding the oils, leave it for a few hours to absorb, then wash and dry.
Thus you refresh the oils- maybe-
but you end up with a non-soggy fur.

all the best
Roy

Doctor
05-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Just back from the Monnow system ,had 3 sessions and the roughy did its usual magic.
The SbS you sent is an excellent idea , will do some Danica types that way and report back in a few weeks !