PDA

View Full Version : Wire-Head Midge

Danny S
04-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Sorry folks, I don't have a digital camera that will take the close ups necessary for photos. After conversing with Andy Baird via the PM feature, I decided to attempt an instruction post. As you all know, Andy and his pals from the Isles like tying very small midges, some bead-head or zebra midges. While contemplating the problem of the smallest beads being too large for very small midges, I decided to try to remedy the problem; and came up with a midge pattern that has been even more productive (for me) than bead heads. I now tie all my midges using wire instead of beads. Much less costly and as or more productive.

This is basically a zebra midge pattern, just use wire instead of a bead.

1: Start thread just behind the eye and build a head of thread, size to your liking (based on how large you want the wire head).

2: Tie in your wire leaving enough to the rear to form your ribbing; and at least a couple of inches to the front (this is the wire you will use to wrap as your head).

3: Start to wrap the wire from just behind the eye to the point you want your wire head to end, secure with the thread and remove any excess wire.

4: Continue the thread wraps, over the remaining wire, to the rear of the hook, as far as you want the fly body to extend, then start wrapping forward to the point you will want to form a thorax.

5: Form your rib with the remaining wire, secure it and form the thorax behind the wire head and then finish with a tie off. I personally like using Superfine dubbing for the thorax.

Your wire selection can be critical. The smaller the fly, the finer you want the wire. If your wire is too thick for the hook size, the wire will not lay on properly to allow a smooth wrapped head. Also, be careful, especially on very small hooks, not to block the bottom of the eye with the wire (easy to do, especially on #24 and smaller)

My personal favorites have been black w/silver or copper, red w/silver, olive w/silver or copper (try this one during BWOs hatches also), gray w/silver. Colors are limited only by thread and wire color choices.

If anyone would like to tie and post pics, please feel free.

Enjoy!

RonT
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I have done similar using Copper wire scavenged from relay coil armatures. I just miced the most recent acquisition at .003. Rarely do I use straight from the windings, typically taking an ~8" length, doubled over a bodkin, and the open ends grasped with heavy wire hackle pliars.
A quick flip/twist of the pliars between thumb and index finger spins the wire into a rope. Many facets.....a good thing.
As mentioned, the built up head is mearly a continuation of the ribbing.
Cheers,
R