PDA

View Full Version : Small Stream Article From The UK! REALLY INTERESTING!

Mostyn
03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've just read an article on small stream fly fishing; and IMHO, If your a small stream fly fisher or you have an interest in small streams and the artificial flies used to fish them? Then this article is well worth reading; I thought it was brilliantly put together! Have a look. Here's a link :

www.gwentanglingsociety.co.uk/articles/ ... reams.html (http://www.gwentanglingsociety.co.uk/articles/articles/fishing_small_streams.html)

Hope you enjoy it? I did!!

Mostyn

Danny S
03-25-2010, 01:14 PM
A very good article with great information. I could swear I saw two of those flies posted on this forum not too long ago. Now--I can't find the pics of them.

Am editing to add this: Found them. The author is this forums very own GARETHL! At least all evidence leads to him. Well written article with very nice photography.

Jax
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the Heads Up Mostyn;

If any budding small stream fisher were to use this article as their Key to having fun on small streams,and a good bit of success with it. Then they could not do much better.

Not only is the advice on stream side behaviour Very Good. The Fly patterns are also a delight.

I would also suggest that members also visit Gareths Web Site. It is a mine of information.

As a fly tier all I can say is Don't miss this oportunity. Jax

trout-nut
03-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Nice article and great tips for small streams :D

Brett
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Very nice! Gareth, great article.

Brett

greyfox
03-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Good read, thanks.

skyfireblaze
03-25-2010, 08:15 PM
That was a good read. Thanks for the link.

BrkTrt
03-25-2010, 09:20 PM
I truly enjoyed that.

Well done.

Brk Trt

toledotimber
03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Excellent article. I just wish I could pare down my flies to just four (or so) patterns.

garethl
03-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Guys, just stumbled across this thread, and I have to say a HUGE thank you for all your kind words! I'm a little embarrassed if truth be told, but I really really appreciate your feedback. After all, if I can't get a good review on a small stream article on a small streams from, I'm in trouble!

Guys, thank you!

G

AndyBaird
03-27-2010, 05:21 PM
That's a superb article Gareth - and simply wonderful photography throughout.
Only recently heard about the Danielsson Midge reel... what a peach!

I've gotta get my ass over to South Wales and hook up with you this season.

Nice going.

Andy

garethl
03-30-2010, 07:17 AM
That's a superb article Gareth - and simply wonderful photography throughout.
Only recently heard about the Danielsson Midge reel... what a peach!

I've gotta get my ass over to South Wales and hook up with you this season.

Nice going.

Andy

Thanks Andy, really glad you liked it! Just put the finishing touches on it now I've had all the thumbs up I need...then it's off to a few magazines :)

The Midge reel is awesome mate, and unbelievably light! I notice you have a new rod now though. Is is a Vision?

You're welcome down my neck of the woods anytime Andy. Plenty of water to fish, and plenty of willing trout living there too :D

G

AndyBaird
03-30-2010, 08:24 AM
I notice you have a new rod now though. Is is a Vision?

Afraid not Gareth - it's a 6 1/2ft 3 weight (The Last Viking) that came in last year via Germany, supplied with a spare tip for €80... medium fast action and a discrete matt finish.

I have started to look at reels and rods recently, with my 40th later this year - and then I get on the water with either the 7' 2 weight (Greys GRXi) or The Last Viking :x and just forget about the tackle... both do the job very well. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a 6' three weight GRXi+ some time this year though. Have looked long and hard at the Hardy 5' Aln, but it's too soft for my style and tastes... but it is lovely.

Catch you soon.
Andy

palewatery
03-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Don't know how I missed this earlier, good work Gareth, hope to see it on glossy paper soon. :clap: