PDA

View Full Version : wee hooks snapping off

JockAyeTheNoo
03-21-2010, 12:44 PM
I've been trying to tie some midge type patterns on Partridge "Dry Capt Hamilton" size 22 hooks today, but all 4 hooks I tried, before I gave up, have snapped off at the bend during my tying. Is this a common problem when working with small hooks, am I being a bit ham fisted??? the thread (a thin/micro!) I'm using is from Sparton, a small English company who probably buys it in bulk from some manufacturer or other! ..any thoughts advice.

Cheers
Jim

rossa
03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
What kind of vice have you? The jaws may be too tight, I know some vices have midge jaws.

JockAyeTheNoo
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Hi Rossa

it is one of these ... http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/weav ... e-fly-vice (http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/weaver-scottie-fly-vice)

I'm not experienced enough at tying to say it's definitely not the vice, but I'm pretty sure the break was 1 or 2mm above the contact point on the jaws!

Cheers
Jim

Danny S
03-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Ditto what Rossa said about the tightness of jaws or could be something tiny inside the jaws like a slight flaw or small foreign object. Might check that first to be sure. Also, it could be a bad batch of hooks (though it would surprise me with Partridge). Could be applying too much pressure or being "ham fisted." I know that some 22s I've used (believe it was the old Mustad dry fly) would bend a lot while tying, even with a little pressure. Just backed off the pressure a little and had no problem. Never had a problem with any of them breaking off in a fish, though--pressure direction is totally different.

palewatery
03-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Could be the jaws, hooks, ham or little bits of any/all combining. I'm saying nowt.. :shock: :lol:
My nephew had a similar problem not long ago on some#32's he bought, with him it turned out to be the jaws.
If you're going to the club on Thursday bring them with you and we can try them on a couple of vices and with a couple of threads.

Jim

JockAyeTheNoo
03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Could be the jaws, hooks, ham or little bits of any/all combining. I'm saying nowt.. :shock: :lol:
My nephew had a similar problem not long ago on some#32's he bought, with him it turned out to be the jaws.
If you're going to the club on Thursday bring them with you and we can try them on a couple of vices and with a couple of threads.

Jim

thanks Jim, will bring the gear with me...... thanks everyone else for your thoughts. I'm only 17stone and have a delicate grip, must be the hooks :lol: