PDA

View Full Version : Newbie. Ct

Gadabout
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Hello all. New member from Ct. I really enjoy finding and catching native trout. I fish Ct. Mass. Vt and NY. Even though the numbers are way down, there are still plenty around Ct if you know where to look. They don't call me Gadabout for nothing.

Gadabout
03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
If my wife can help me put up a picture I will. I'm not too savvy with computers. Gus, can you explain to me the exact intent of your site? I belong to many other fishing sites. Is it to exchange ideas,stories, and pictures? Thank you.

gusstrand
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
The exact intent...

Smallstreams is about people who love small, often overlooked water... the fish there, and trying to catch those fish, most often with a fly... it's been around for a long time - smallstreams is one of the oldest fly fishing sites on the web. It started as Adam's personal repository, grew to a pretty large forum, was horse traded, and, ultimately, broke.

The original premise of the site was based on not letting the media define who we are as fly fishers. What you are reading now is where it has ended up after more than a decade of evolution, attempts at commercializing (almost becoming what we intended to NOT be), and a database crash... my intent is to have a community, not a forum. My intent is to perpetuate the love of small streams everywhere. My intent is NOT to have some fancy commercial venture. That is not to say that someday I may use auctions or donations or whatever, just to recoup my small hosting charge and some of the time I've put in to the place, but I don't see that as ever being paramount or a focus for me. I own this place out of respect and love for the vision of small streams I've fished in my life - I acquired this place and rebuilt it because I love the notion of a community of people who get as jazzed as me about water most people overlook, all over the world.

smallstreams is an international group of fishers who have grown into sort of a brotherhood, all entwined with our love of intimate water and tiny fish... but not limited or bound to those.

Hope that explains things a little...

Welcome.

You have a whole new view of the forums now. Explore and enjoy...

Gadabout
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you Gus. I am new to fly fishing. I have been a bait fisherman for 25 plus years. i hope this does not exclude me. I'm sure it won't. I often feel the pursuit, hike and eventually find of a stream is more appealing than catching the fish that might be there. In my eyes, the fish are a bonus. I still own memories of finding new and unchartered waters all to myself. There have been times I have never told a soul. Thank you for your work on this site. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

gusstrand
03-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Cool. Unlike many fly fishing sites, we don't look too far down our noses at those who choose to fish with bait, or bobbers, or...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/piscator/mefishing2.jpg
I fished bait from then until I was a teenager, when my Uncle got me hooked on flies...

We all came from somewhere, but landed here. Enjoy.