AndyBaird
03-14-2010, 05:16 AM
This pattern will swing in to action from late April:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/VooDooBiology/22emerger.jpg

Hook: TMC 2488 #22
Thread: Gudegrod 10/0, tan
Shuck: Teal flank barbs
Abdomen: Stripped peacock quill, olive
Thorax: Blend of muskrat underfur (minus guard hair), pine squirrel cheek hair (including guard hair) and a pinch of Fly-rite clear antron chopped fine (say, 1cm...)
Wing: Niche Products Siliconised Polypropylene Yarn, white

Following a chat with Gareth Lewis, thinking the wing could be treated with Frog's Fanny (terrible product name...) for added juju... :ugeek:

Hope you like.

Best,
Andy

Danny S
03-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I like that, Andy--nice tie. Out of curiosity, what hatch do you use it for over there? Looks like a great midge or maybe even BWO emerger.

palewatery
03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
:bigthumb:
Top notch again.

I noticed you often like the Niche yarn for the wing on your flies Andy, I picked some up last year at BFFI but I've not used it yet... still to get round to tying my small flies, all I have in my box is last years greenflies. What I did notice was that it didn't look as fine as the fine version of Aero Dry Wing, I've got some of both so I'll give them both a run but I'd be interested to read your thoughts on them.. Is there any specific reason you prefer the Niche?
Also, while on about materials, Dave at UKFD put me onto the Hends Synton thread. Don't know if you've tried it but it looks like it would excel for your tying... very strong for it's diameter... like a doubled up Spiders Web that comes in good colours.

Cracking tie. As per usual setting a high bar for the small flies. :cool:

AndyBaird
03-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi Danny - you've got it... covers both. It's a great generic pattern, so I tie them #22 through #26. And then dispense with the quill body on #28 - #32. The hatches are light here, and this catches when nothing seems to be coming off.

Hi Jim - I still use standard Aero Dry Wing in flouro colours for v. small parachutes to aid visibility. Haven't tried the fine version (it is kind of expensive...). I'm in no way linked to Niche, so this is my opinion from experience but Peter's SPY and Midge Wing are simply unparalelled. I tie a lot of small comparaduns and no-hackle style flies with both and the material just floats and floats without treatment. The SPY is also Oliver Edwards and Hans Van Klinken go-to yarn, so it comes with some pedigree. It doesn't matt when wet which is an issue with cheaper yarn.
It is seriously, SERIOUSLY good stuff. Available in grey, white, black and a very dark brown - so can be blended.

Have yet to try the Synton thread Dave uses - I'm kind of sold on Gudebrod 10/0 (actually a true 16/0) for most of my tying, and use Sheer 14/0 for anything with a thread abdomen, and Spiderweb for tying off parachute hackles. Dave's greenfly on UKFD is an amazing tie, the abdomen he created with the Synton is something else. May have to try it out.
I know Hans Weilenmann swears by Benecchi 12/0 for tying small.
Uni Trico is also a good thread for sub #28's - and takes permananent marker readily (it only comes in white). Very strong but will fray if it evens sniffs a hook point during the wrap... :cry: And then there's Uni Caenis.... :ugeek:

See you in July!

Best,
Andy

adam
03-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Top notch again.

That is some trout vittles for sure.

It would make a trout eat it even if there were no emerging bugs it looks so good.

Do you guys do the water view? I bet that one has a similar water view of a dry. I only am speculating as I've only seen a couple of those water boxes on the desk of a tyer or two.

You do the photography well and the fly and everything.

As a fisher, and I buy many of my flys, that one would be in the middle of my emerger section.

trout-nut
03-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice emerger I think I will tye some up this spring :D

Danny S
03-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Maybe Andy would be kind enough to take a pic of a water view for this little bug?

I have only used it with one fly--when I first experimented with Klinkhammer-style flies. I really like that style and they sit perfectly in the water.

scotfly
03-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Cracking tie. As per usual setting a high bar for the small flies. :cool:

Couldn't agree more, an example to aspire to!
I think it would look great with a snowshoe wing too Andy?
I really like that quill body too, do you strip your own or buy it?

palewatery
03-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Damn right Andy... Aero dry Wing is expensive stuff.... too expensive really. I picked up a packet of the fine at the same time as I got the Niche stuff so I could compare myself but it's always good (educational) to read the opinions of others, especially if they tie as many cool small flies as yourself. Matting is one thing I was concerned about with the fine Aero.
Dave first posted a fly using Synton thread a while back and I asked him about it, I was needing Body Quills so when the place he recommended had quills and the Synton thread I just ordered a couple of spools to try. Excellent stuff, much finer than Gudebrod, Sheer or Benecchi and a good range of colours too so I'm pretty impressed... If I needed convincing more his Greenfly abdomen would have sold me, it does look stunning. Like yourself I was a big fan of the Gudebrod but I'm running out and can't find supplies to buy new stuff so I've been trying out other brands and really like the Benecchi, real shame I can't find the Gudebrod though. Never tried the Uni Caenis but I don't like the Trico much.. of course I'm not tying sub #28... I'd say Synton was a good substitute for the Trico or Spiders Web rather than competition for the Gudebrod.

Looking forward to catching you in July, thanks for your opinions, much appreciated.

JockAyeTheNoo
03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Dave first posted a fly using Synton thread a while back and I asked him about it, I was needing Body Quills so when the place he recommended had quills and the Synton thread I just ordered a couple of spools to try. Excellent stuff, much finer than Gudebrod, Sheer or Benecchi and a good range of colours too so I'm pretty impressed... If I needed convincing more his Greenfly abdomen would have sold me, it does look stunning. Like yourself I was a big fan of the Gudebrod but I'm running out and can't find supplies to buy new stuff so I've been trying out other brands and really like the Benecchi, real shame I can't find the Gudebrod though. Never tried the Uni Caenis but I don't like the Trico much.. of course I'm not tying sub #28... I'd say Synton was a good substitute for the Trico or Spiders Web rather than competition for the Gudebrod.

smashing wee fly...

Jim don't know if you noticed the links on the Gudebrod website to suppliers in England.
http://www.gudebrod.com/Dealers/IntLoca ... ry=England (http://www.gudebrod.com/Dealers/IntLocations.asp?Country=England)
I know Lakeland have it listed but as Out of Stock, as I'm sure you already know!

Cheers
Jim

palewatery
03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
From what I read Jim they don't make it any more, what's left in shops is just the remaining stocks, I still have some colours but the ones I used a lot have been out of stock everywhere I've tried for months. Shame really.

AndyBaird
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks again guys...

Adam/Danny - I'll try an underwater shot, although I'm away from home all week - work not fishing :(

Jim - the Gudebrod 10/0 thread is no more... a real shame! I don't think it's been manufactured for over a year now, so if you find some, I'd buy quick.

Dennis - gotta tie this pattern with snowshoe, excellent suggestion. All materials would then be natural. Good call.

Jim (Palewatery) - must check-out the Synton. I didn't like Uni Trico initially, and it demands careful control but it's really grown on me for v.small flies. Haven't tried Benecchi 12/0. Have you tried the Benecchi Ghost thread? Not sure of it's rating, but I think it's a single mono thread.

Thanks all!
Andy

PS: Spoke with Roy earlier, his internet is down but he's alive and well.

palewatery
03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Not tried the Ghost thread Andy. Sounds similar to Spiders web or the Uni Caenis, might be worth a go though as I've yet to find a Benecchi product I didn't like (not that I've tried everything they make). Their super select CDC is the best I've ever seen for winging duns.

scotfly
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
so if you find some, I'd buy quick.

I did, and that's why Lakeland have none and I have enough to last me a few years! Sorry boys :twisted:
Re: Synton, I don't like it very much. I have three problems with it. I think it's just too fine and it's also stretchy, I find it difficult to get materials to stay where I put them, I think the elasticity is the main problem there. The third problem is in the spooling.
Andy, PM me your address and I'll stick a couple of spools in the post for you to try.

palewatery
03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I did, and that's why Lakeland have none and I have enough to last me a few years! Sorry boys :twisted:

Hoarder :problem: :lol: :lol:

I liked the stretch on the Synton, what was the spooling problem you found Dennis? Was it the two strands not being wound together on the spool? The spools I bought are like that but so far it's not caused me any bother..... I'm just wondering if hassle is coming my way soon, as I work my way down through the spool type of deal.. :problem: That'd suck
I like the little moser type spools it comes on, have re-spooled all my Pearsalls onto them.

scotfly
03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
what was the spooling problem you found Dennis?

As you get down the spool slack coils start forming. It's a common problem with other threads too, I've found the Gudebrod to be bad for it too, and Sheer.

Was it the two strands not being wound together on the spool?

That's interesting, the stuff I have is single strand, much finer than spiderweb, which I much prefer.
I bought mine two or three years ago, I wonder if they've changed it since then :?:

palewatery
03-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I'll keep an eye out for that, the Gudebrod I've had has always been cool but the Sheer has been really bad so I know the hassle.

Definately two strand now Dennis, two seperate strands each one finer than spiders web but when tying together it's waaaaay stronger than spiders. If you have a lot and it's all the same then I'd guess they've changed it, if it's just a couple of spools you might have been unlucky and got them from a bad batch. I've always been happy enough with the threads I had and only bought the Synton to try as Dave was so keen on it.. as a result I've no idea how consistant the quality is with Hends threads.