PDA

View Full Version : R & B Stonefly

Trucha
03-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Here's a pattern that I adapted to my liking. The abdomen is from a R & B cassette tape. I trim the hackle on the bottom to get a low ride on the surface of the water. Works well.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/NMTrucha/stoneflydrysmall1.jpg

BrkTrt
03-11-2010, 08:20 PM
It looks like if fell to earth in Roswell.

I like it very much.

Brk Trt

troutrageous1
03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Very nice. Thanks for the great pic & inspiration.

Danny S
03-12-2010, 04:14 AM
Very interesting pattern and creative use of materials. Any particular reason you used R&B?--someday, cassettes may be worth some money like old LPs--or not! :eh:

Do you use that fly, #12 to 16, in the New Mexico mountain area streams? Looks like a real producer for those waters.

Trucha
03-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey Danny,

I used cassette material for the abdomen because the original pattern used it. I saw the pattern years ago and liked it so I started tying it. I used R & B because it was an old Temptations tape that had given up the ghost and was the first thing I had at hand. The particular size is #8 which represents salmon stones and golden stones real well (I may drop down to a #10, too). When the yellow sallies are out hatching I use something more appropriate for them in a smaller size. I coat the abdomen of the R & B with head cement to make it more durable, too.

I doubt that cassettes will ever get to be much of a colectors idea, maybe for just the cassette itself. The tape in the cassette stretches too much and it has the tendecies to bleed (music or information writing itself on the tape that is touching it.). When I worked in documentary project at UNM, we had to run the tapes back and forth in a player just to keep them in good condition. Now, LPs can last a long time in the right storage conditions.

Danny S
03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Good to know the type of music has nothing to do with the recipe--HA! Never heard of that tie before, but it sure enforces the idea of recycling different items around the house when coming up with a material for a fly.