PDA

View Full Version : Pecos in NM

daleconnally
03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Would like to fish one-way up from Terrero store to the Willow Creek public access. Anybody been all the way to know if this is doable, or if you get hijacked by private land? Seems like a great stretch.
Thanks in advance.
Dale

Danny S
03-10-2010, 01:27 PM
It's been quite a while since I was in that area, but I believe you run into problems as soon as you get south of Terrero, especially during spring run-off. There used to be several commercial camps, private property, etc downstream of Terrero between the public access points. It may be possible mid to late summer (because you could likely wade much of it, unless there are a lot of thunderboomers that increase the flows. I guess more important to your question--I don't remember what the NM laws are for landowners--do they own the river bed also? If so, I don't think you would not be able to go far south of Terrero.

There also used to be forest campgrounds up from Terrero--rough camping only--no running water, etc. If you are thinking of doing that, you can start your one-way further upstream and work toward Terrero. Believe all that land is still US/State Forest land.

Brooktrout
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
hey, all i know is that although the pecos is long there is a lot of private water (am not sure about where it all is either) and it gets pretty well hammered by everyone, especially by the bait guys. :thumbdown: though it is higher up and probably still snowbound, if you hike up up from i think iron gate campground into the wilderness it is much nicer and better fishing. but i guess that is more like april fishing than early march.

daleconnally
03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Danny,
You right about the private property south of Terrero. I want to fish north. Willow Creek is that next public area uphill/stream of the store between the store and Mora (the campground you mentioned).

Brook, I've heard great things about Iron Gate area. I wasn't clear, I'm planning ahead for September :D
Thanks guys.
Dale

Danny S
03-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Yep--been a while since I was there. In fact, I counted the years--my, the last 15 have flown by! I fished that stretch you mention almost exclusively (too many folks downstream). The river in that area was well populated with browns and bows and I recall it being open with no private property. Holy Ghost Creek (confluence with the Pecos is at Terrero) was also nice to fish, but there was a lot of private property to navigate.

Brooktrout
03-11-2010, 02:04 PM
yeah, september would be SWEET up there, unless it is a really dry summer or you have lots of heavy afternoon thunderstorms in the drainage. hope it works out for you.