PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Arizona Fly Fishing

adam
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I called the shop this morning, I want a C & F box, Kevin answered, the shop has been closed for some weeks now.

So many business closed these days.

That shop has been around for a very long time, I liked it and whenever I could, bought things from there.

Now it's dead.

trout-nut
03-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Thats to bad. alot of that happening these days. Hope you find another shop to buy a C&F box from soon. :(

Alpinefly
03-09-2010, 06:10 PM
A sign of the times and not a good sign !!! :( As to fly patterns, do you want quality fly patterns or the cheap stuff tied by Sri Lankin sex slaves ??? Do you want personal friendly and quality service as to fly fishing or automated and cold large box stores who do not really have a handle on current fly tying materials, equipment, local fishing waters, etc. I hope you will support we small people when it comes to fly fishing . You will get personal friendly service, quality, and I know at least speaking from mysel ;) f, I will not let you down !!!!!

Chef
03-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Yep - They're going all online now - Making more dough with guided trips and selling flies/rods online. No overhead = larger profit margins.

Let's do it...

Danny S
03-10-2010, 05:03 AM
That is sad news. The big box stores and on line shops truly do put a hurt on local fly shops. I have ordered, over the phone items from a familiar shop in Oklahoma. When I was in the market for a new vise recently, he got it for me, even though he has no agreement with the vise maker. I believe he made nothing off the vise deal, but I did order some other items from him at the same time.

As for the C&F fly boxes--I have two or the micro slit boxes and really like them for every thing from #16 to 24. Hope you find yours from a preferred shop.

Doctor
03-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Sad to see the slow demise of the proper tackle shops , I wonder how you guys feel about Orvis stores .
Mainly as I have a job interveiw with the central London one this week , really keen to get back to work, as no income = no fishing !

ags
03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
All things considered - I think that Orvis is a very good outfit. Hope you land the position.

adam
03-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Sending mojo your way Doc.

Danny S
03-12-2010, 04:24 AM
I have no bad opinions on Orvis--they were a main source when I lived in the UK and Germany. Found them to have fair pricing and very good customer service. I only wish they had not switched to China for some of their reels. Good luck on your interview!

gusstrand
03-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I used to deal with them when I taught the Orvis classes. No qualms whatsoever. Good gear, decent corporate leaders... Good luck with the interview!

Doctor
03-13-2010, 04:48 AM
Think it went well ,the store manageress had me for nearly an hour ,seemed to be giving the right answers ,but its been so long since I had a formal interveiw .
will find out next week .
fingers crossed !!

adam
03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Hope you find another shop to buy a C&F box from soon. :(

I will quote myself from grassart as it pertains.

I did find another shop, I had not been in for quiet some time, matter of fact, I blackballed myself from it but damn, the place has everything, including a Ferrari, a Mercedes SUV (the way expensive one), a Porsche and many many $30,000 + cars out in front. Next time I go, I'll get a picture, it is just not real, but it is.

My favorite fly shop in Arizona just closed...

Now the only fly shop, far as I'm concerned is one that is very "Tony" in that it is in an affluent part of town, carries EVERYTHING and is clean and tidy. The personal there are very nice, smiling and not presumptious. I personally don't like the place, it is too cool and lacks character. But this is a part of commercial success here, lacking character. The other shop is an Orvis store, lacks character. I love going into those types of stores because they have several nice bamboo fly rods from the big makers, all the new reels, a vast array of salt water flies, some rigged with shock leaders with bimini knots and well, just the coolest stuff imaginable.

But no character.

And no Tenkara rods either.

But I found what I needed and I was served with respect.

I feel that I should respect success although I did feel a little small when I went in there...

They were even really cool to me about Tenkara when I turned them onto tenkara-fisher.com I bet they will have tenkara rods in short order...

Doctor, I do respect Orvis, I still buy Orvis products to this day. I hope you get the job.

Chef
03-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I think almost everyone I know has been touched by Orvis at one time or another. The Battenkill is like a Timex. Adam and I used to hang out at a little narrow Orvis shop called 4J's with preacher Jim & young Dylan the master caster. We had good times, learned a great deal from each other and I miss that kind of connection. Walk in and there are the boys hangin' out talking feeeeshing.

Doc, good luck!