PDA

View Full Version : what you wear

mikeytwoshoes
03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
most try to blend in right?
as such we wear earth tones camo or what not.
I'm not wondering about that.

I'm voicing a pet peeve.
why oh why on a supposedly well designed well executed and funcional piece of clothing do they include pockets you can't even get yer hand into?

I don't get it.

do any of you have some of these worthless pockets? I hate the damn things.

hootie
03-02-2010, 03:16 AM
Because most folks will pay for extra pockets whether they are functional or not.Never underestimate the stupidity of a travelling fisherman.

gusstrand
03-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I wear a tee shirt and my lanyard more often than anything else. Cargo pants/shorts. and my Camelbak. Vests just don't do anything for me. I lose things.

jeepster
03-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Ha, you know how much I hate those split pockets. I could use that pocket for so many things. Like a pb snad for one. http://users.dakotacom.net/~jeepster/tipshades.gif

terry
03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Yup, dark greens and grays for me.

palewatery
03-02-2010, 09:34 AM
The waistcoat I use has been replaced by a new design with stupid pockets and the price increased accordingly.

If I was in the market for a new one I'd struggle to find one I liked now.

JB in SC
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't carry much stuff. I'll forget what I supposed to do with it.....

Theo
03-04-2010, 05:48 AM
I wear a tee shirt and my lanyard more often than anything else. Cargo pants/shorts. and my Camelbak. Vests just don't do anything for me. I lose things.

Spot on... lanyard, Camelbak with flytrap and camera pouch, plus 2 hip-mounted fly boxes... that's the heaviest I travel now, too.

Theo

adam
03-04-2010, 07:49 PM
do any of you have some of these worthless pockets? I hate the damn things.

I don't buy clothes that I hate.

Chef
03-07-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm looking at this pack - I just carry a small BW slung over over my back currently.

But... I like the overall function of this for hiking in/hydration etc.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/ChefsVenom/BNTM6WwmkKGrHgoOKisEjlLmIUKBBJo6Cd0.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/ChefsVenom/BNTM9w2kKGrHgoOKjgEjlLmYUWJBJo6sWPQ.jpg
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l78/ChefsVenom/914f_1.jpg

gusstrand
03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Izzat a Fishpond?

Chef
03-08-2010, 07:02 PM
out of Australia - not sure of the name but looks very similar to Fishpond.

adam
03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Chef, did you check out Patagonia's pack vest?

Chef
03-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Not yet but I will. thx :bigthumb:

adam
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product ... 1896-0-386 (http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/patagonia-pack-vest?p=81896-0-386)

Your buddy Mikey Wier is on Patagonia's fly fishing page.

Brooktrout
03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
i use the patagonia pack-vest; when i head out i usually make it an all or most of the day affair. it works for me, carries lunch, rain jacket, all the gear i need (but stripped to essentials) and sometimes a full wineskin. i love it.

as for shirts i have a light blue columbia (that matches the summer NM and CO skies) with a few pockets that are large enough for a fly box and are actually handy. but i hear you about unnecessary pockets and stuff.

adam
03-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm liking it more and more...

mems
03-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Fishing clothes need to be functional. When I guide I bring a backpack with everything including spare reel, boga etc. When I am by myself I have a multi tool with a hook sharpener built in and a roll of fluro carbon tippett and some flies. I do keep a couple of flies tied with wire leader in my hat just in case for barracuda. I like columbia fishing shirts, I like any t-shirt with a chest pocket. Off-shore I wear old t-shirts, cause they get bloody from ahi and mahi.
When I am trout fishing I tend to bring more stuff, just cause you need more flies, dries, nymphs etc. I used to think vests were cool, but I will only wear a mid vest now. When I am on small streams, it is back to being a minimialist, box of flies and a hemostat. I love wet wading and just heading up stream on a little creek.
I have a waterproof camera that I take out, but mostly for clients and friends. Lately I catch fish and just let them go, and never even think about taking a picture. This week I got about 7 bonefish, and didn't take a picture of any. Next week I will be on Oahu, if I get a big one I might take a picture and post for you guys. I used to post a lot, but now I just like to fish for my own pleasure.
Good to have you back Twoshoes. If you have a shirt with too many pockets, then the wife will complain when she finds flies in the laundry, for some reason they always end up in her panties! Mems.

mikeytwoshoes
03-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Good to have you back Twoshoes. If you have a shirt with too many pockets, then the wife will complain when she finds flies in the laundry, for some reason they always end up in her panties! Mems.

why thank you mems.
I appreciate that more than you know. oftimes I feel like a pariah here, despite years and years of loyalty and participation.

and yes I have that problem too.

I just don't understand pockets that are too small to get my hands into. that's just ridiculous.

Brooktrout
03-15-2010, 11:40 AM
you're not a pariah dude. i, and i bet many others, appreciate your opinions.

Chef
03-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Your buddy Mikey Wier is on Patagonia's fly fishing page.

I remember sending letters to Patagonia back in the day trying to get them to assimilate Smallstreams.com and to hook into our world. Whoa! Tough trying to get in with them for sure.

I just sent (2 months ago) a section to get repaired at T&T and they hooked the whole stick up for me! Some say T&T customer service sucks but I am very impressed. Just got it yesterday - My HS 5 is alive again! :bigthumb:

adam
03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
[attachment=0:8u5z7mnz]Noah_Paddler.jpg[/attachment:8u5z7mnz]

Here is one Patagonia sponsorship in Arizona, outriggah, practice in da evening Tempe Town Lake. Found out about it at this last weekend's Aloha Festival. Kau Kau pig, sticky rice, bone carvings for hook necklace, stand up paddle boards, lava lava and Hawaiian shirts. Pretty cool times, very crowded.

Anyway.

I'm glad T&T replaced your rod, great company.

Patagonia is a cool company too, they support some great athletes and also put money back into keeping things green. I've learned a bit from their catalogs, salmon, tuna, recycling, carbon footprint. My favorite Patagonia shirts have a little zipped pocket, on the shoulder for the plug on my tenkara rod,or on a hooded sun shirt seem near the waist for a key or a small Wheatley, I dig their cool little zipped pockets, usually, they have just one, just right.

Brooktrout
03-16-2010, 01:54 PM
nice outrigger canoe adam. is that just a sticker or did patagonia really make it?

adam
03-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Probably just a sponsor.

I am going to go practice with these guys a couple of times paddling, see if I like it. I'll find out if it is just a sticker or what ever...