PDA

View Full Version : New discovery

Fly Chef
02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
So, I can now live in San Diego. I had doubts because I need to have access to small streams with wild trout and NO PEOPLE.

I have found my El Dorado in San Diego County. I will call it Chipmunk Creek.
:thumbup:
The fish are wild rainbows which are considered to be genetically pure strain of the first rainbow trout in North America, maybe the world. Also, they are thought to be descendants of the first steelhead. Pretty cool shit in my book!!

Stream is only accessed by a hike of at least 1-1.5 miles over very rough terrain with abundant blackberry brambles, huge old growth pines, and incredible old oaks. Right now the fish are at our mercy, summer should turn the tables and make it almost unfishable. I brought at least 13 beautiful little jewels to hand with at least another 20 long distance releases. I was blown away by the quality of the water, quantity of fish, and beauty of the whole experience. The best part, for me, was the total lack of human sign. Saw tracks of two other people, but virtually no trash. Total of 3 water bottles and 1 old aluminum trash can lid. Not bad for a stream not more than 45 minutes from more than 2 million people. No worm containers, power bait jars, or foam cups anywhere. :shock:

The hike is was tough, the hike OUT almost killed me. Last 1/4 mile was a climb with at least 500 foot elevation change :shaking2: . That's the best part, unless you are as whacked as I am :lol: you're not going to make that hike. Especially when there are several put-n-take lakes and ponds much closer.

Keith[attachment=2:12kmaki1]dad3.jpg[/attachment:12kmaki1][attachment=1:12kmaki1]dad5.jpg[/attachment:12kmaki1][attachment=0:12kmaki1]dad6.jpg[/attachment:12kmaki1]

wrknapp
02-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Guard its secrets well. What a great find. These kind of posts inspire me the most. I know each of has these little slices of heaven nearby just waiting for our discovery. Thanks.

Randy

greyfox
02-27-2010, 04:06 PM
That is a sweet post, more pics please. I have a tiny stream 10 min. from home which I always drove past thinking it was too small until one day I decided to give it a shot and now it is my secret hideaway, the prettiest brookies I've ever saw

troutrageous1
02-27-2010, 07:00 PM
What a great post - congrats on your discovery!

Satoshi
02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Very nice.
It is almost impossible for us to find such a secret stream in our country where population density is very high and people have lived in any remote mountain ranges from old times. Here, secret streams sometimes lie close to towns. Those streams often have ugly man-made structures such as concrete dykes so that people usually don't want to fish there. :(

Mostyn
02-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Keith,
you've found Heaven on the edge of town! Loved reading your report and seeing the photos!

Great stuff!

Regards

Mostyn

fisheatflies
02-28-2010, 01:12 PM
It's amazing how a little (in your case brutal) hike will eliminate the majority of the competition from other anglers. Its great to hear the lack of trash. Its annoying to see others disrespect areas that can give us such solitude. I have a couple small streams near my house that holds native Bonnivile Cutthroat. I knew about these creeks, but never spent much time exploring them until last year. I plan to make more trips to my local haunts this year and save on gas.

jmp
02-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I have family near San Diego and when I visit I always wonder if there are any trout streams in the area. I'm glad to know that there are. Thanks for the post!

gigharborflyfisher
03-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Awesome find! It is amazing how a little bit of walking keeps the average Joe away...

rayfound
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Great Post chef. Looks like a nice bit of water. Your instincts, I fear are correct... that place should probably be left well enough alone after the end of may... then you'll have to start driving a little longer to find cool waters.

terry
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Congrats on your discovery. Protect it!!!

Brooktrout
03-02-2010, 11:11 AM
new discoveries like that are awesome. congrats.

Fly Chef
03-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Hiked back in Monday with a bud and fished alot more of the stream, started lower and fished all the way up. I released over 40 fish and he over 30. Largest was my second fish of the day, solid 12" in full colors. They appear to be getting ready to spawn and are just lit up with colors. Lots of 8-10" fish. I still can't get over that I am catching wild natural - native - fish less than hundred miles from 2 major metro areas with populations totaling at least 30 million people and see virtually no trash and only footprints of 2 other people - all day. :o :clap: :bigthumb:

Happy camper,
Keith

adam
03-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Keith, are you ready for a visitor?

I would like to come visit, I'll bring a couple of tenkara rods...

Fly Chef
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Come on over.

adam
03-18-2010, 10:57 PM
It's going to be a few weeks, but I'm going to do it.

I would like to fish that stream with you.

Fly Chef
03-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Adam, you are welcome any time. :thumbup:

You are welcome to stay with me but I only have a couch. Comfortable couch, but not a bed. Not trying to discourage, only letting you know.

I think you'll like my little silver mine. Be prepared for a serious climb down through scrub, no trail, and an even more serious climb out.

Keith

adam
03-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Keith, no worries about the couch, I was thinking about overnighting on the stream. Do you have the gear?

Otherwise, I am not inviting myself to the couch, there are KOA's in the area and let's face it, I want to see the shop.

You take care, I will keep in touch.

Fly Chef
04-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Went back out last Monday - birthday trip - fished for only 4 hours and still brought over 20 fish to hand. Caught larger fish this time, several over 12". Great day on a beautiful stream.

Wallyran
04-25-2010, 05:01 AM
An awesome find. Having been to SD once (during the hieight of the fires in 2008) I would never have thought you'd find a stream with fish like that in the area.

Hard work, prospecting, pays off!