PDA

View Full Version : Oiling a furled line?

bark-eater
02-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I vaguely remember reading a reference to treating a furled leader with Rem-oil (a Remington gun oil) I'm guessing the purpose was to water proof and improve its floating property's. i was just out mucking around with a 12 foot Cabala's crappie pole and a 10.5 foot furled leader i got of eBay. What I noticed was that I had a smoother cast when the line was wet. Can anyone recommend a treatment for a leader that will add some "wet weight" I have some Rem-oil but am hesitant to start putting oil into the environment. Thanks, Woody

adam
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Woody, boiled linseed oil will work well. It takes a few days to cure. I re-finish silk lines with it, three coats, takes a couple of weeks. I buff it out with a chamois afterward.

If I can influence you, buy a Tenkara rod. Tenkarausa.com has them inexpensive. Well worth the money for a dedicated rod. A crappe rod is a crappe rod. I bought Tenkarausa rods before they started supporting me with discounts, bought them full price and it didn't hurt.

I highly suggest that you dedicate yourself to it, you will love it.

wrknapp
02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I want to encourage you to go to TenkaraUSA also. Like many others, I experimented with a Cabelas' crappie pole first. There is simply no comparison between an inexpensive crappie pole and a good reasonably priced TenkaraUSA rod.

Randy

bark-eater
02-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't worry for me lads, I'll spend the cash as soon as i gets it......

adam
02-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Don't worry for me lads, I'll spend the cash as soon as i gets it......

That being said, find yourself a piece of fly line, light as possible and use it with the crappe rod. Just do up a mono leader on end of the fly line, make it 2 or so feet longer than the rod and goto town. When you get to the point of owning a proper tenkara rod, you will be casting lines about 15lb test with a leader/tippet.

We all figure it out on our own, I sure wish I had a mentor to go fishing with but it's easy enough once you have a proper rod. Now that I do, I would not waste my time with a rod that was not designed for tenkara.

It's just such a pleasure and so damn stealthy, it's almost cheating, not.

CM_Stewart
02-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I vaguely remember reading a reference to treating a furled leader with Rem-oil

I think that was probably Tru-Oil, which is a gun stock oil.There was a discussion of it on the Ultralight Fly Fishing board. It will polymerize, similar to the boiled linseed oil tha Adam mentioned, so it shouldn't add any oil into the environment. I haven't tried it, but I expect it would only work on a furled leader made from thread rather than mono. From that standpoint, an untreated thread furled leader will soak up water and you'll certainly get some "wet weight." Treating the line with Tru-Oil was intended to seal it, so that when treated with Mucilin it would float. If your line is short enough in relation to your rod length to keep it off the water, it doesn't have to float anyway. I don't know of any furled thread tenkara lines in the US but http://www.custom-furles.com/ has them in the UK.