PDA

View Full Version : The River Test.

Graham
02-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't know about you, but now that the shooting (pheasant) season is over I am really looking forward to getting out on the river again....
These pictures are from a fantastic day on the river Test late last year. Enjoy :D Graham

Graham
02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
A couple more.....

Mostyn
02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Love the photos Graham! Nice looking Cane Rod; what is it, you know, make-length-line rating? and those four nice stock-fish brownies, look good enough to eat; although, personally I prefer seeing them swim away! Beautiful area!

Regards

Mostyn

Graham
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks Mostyn, I must have returned 20 other fish that day! Those were the ones that didn't have the strength left to get out of my hands - even after holding them in the water for a good few minutes. Happy to eat them though!
I caught nothing for several hours & tried many, many (!) flies - and even left a fair few in the trees as offerings to the fishing gods! Once I found what they wanted though, it was almost a fish every cast. What a day!
The rod is a split cane Edward Barder. A magic wand if ever there was one! - I'll come back with the stats tomorrow.
Graham

Satoshi
03-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Graham,

Is this the famous "River Test"?
Thank you for posting. and what kind of fly was the key?

Satoshi

Doctor
03-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Graham,

Is this the famous "River Test"?
Thank you for posting. and what kind of fly was the key?

Satoshi

I only get too fish the Test for trout as a guest every couple of years ,its very expensive and too my mind not a difficult river to fish as there is a big head of stocked fish .
My choice of flys is fairly simple a Jaxes Roughy for dry and a Sawyer PT nymph , unless the big Danica mayfly is up when an extended body may does it for me !

Jax
03-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Doctor; I am Glad to hear the Jax Roughy has stood the Test. :D

Hope it fetched a few fish for you. Still my GO TO fly here in the North Island. Jax

Pete-G
03-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I hate to ask this question, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

The fish are similar to what I catch in the Arkansas River. Your water is much calmer and the fish should have been landed pretty fast. Why were they so exhausted that you couldn't release them? Are the fish unhealthy there?

Brooktrout
03-23-2010, 10:15 AM
beautiful pics and stream.

Gerard
04-02-2010, 07:40 AM
That's on my to-do list. One day.... :thumbup: