PDA

View Full Version : Line test

terry
02-16-2010, 07:09 AM
I thought someone might like to hear my rookie experience with different line types.

The furled lines was by far the best caster for me. I tried one from tenkarausa and another from streamside leaders. They were the easiest for me to roll over and definitely have a real soft presentation. I also like having loops at both ends, thats a big advantge for me.

I also tried two level lines. One from tenkarausa, another was made from yo-zuri pink 15lb fluorocarbon line. I thought maybe all 15lb fluoro is the same, but I was wrong. The tenkarausa stuff was a lot stiffer and was a much easier to cast and see. I was hoping to find an alternative to the tenkarausa line, but as of right now I think they have the best stuff for the job. I just have a hard time paying $12 for 35ft of something that usually sells for about $20 for 300 yards. I nail knotted a short piece of 8lb mono with a loop at the end to the tippet side of my line. Makes tippet changes easier for me.

I also tried a 17lb mono line. It was the worst caster of the bunch. I could get it to roll over ok, but not as easily as the furled or level lines. The only advantage I see to the mono is that it is readily available, cheap, and holds knots well.

These are my results so far, I will be trying new stuff in the future. just remember I am new to tenkara and some of these results might be me, not the lines themselves.

terry
02-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Line sources:

http://www.tenkarausa.com/index.php?cPath=23

http://www.streamsideleaders.com/TENKARA%20MONOFILAMENT%20STORE.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/fountainheadflyfish

CM_Stewart
02-16-2010, 12:27 PM
If you ever get to Japan, you might want to pick up some of this line.
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss91/CMStwrt/sansui.jpg

It comes in RS-3 through RS-4.5. The RS-3 is a bit light. You might like the RS-4 better.
About $14 for 30 meters at the current exchange rate.

troutrageous1
02-16-2010, 12:44 PM
The furled lines was by far the best caster for me. I tried one from tenkarausa and another from streamside leaders. They were the easiest for me to roll over and definitely have a real soft presentation. I also like having loops at both ends, thats a big advantge for me.
How do the Streamside furled lines compare to those from Tenkara USA? I'm using a Tenkara USA on my setup now. I had saw Streamside on eBay and was thinking of buying one in a slightly more visible color as they seem to have several choices. (I also like the convenience of a tippet ring).

terry
02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I couldn't tell the difference between them.

terry
02-16-2010, 06:34 PM
If you ever get to Japan, you might want to pick up some of this line.
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss91/CMStwrt/sansui.jpg

It comes in RS-3 through RS-4.5. The RS-3 is a bit light. You might like the RS-4 better.
About $14 for 30 meters at the current exchange rate.

Chris I don't think I will be traveling to Japan anytime soon. Is there a stateside source? How does this line compare to tenkarausa's level line?

If I could find someone to buy some and ship it over here, would anyone be interested in a group buy? Its kind of a long shot, but there are a few Japanese members among the forums I frequent. Maybe we could get one of them to buy and ship over here.

adam
02-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Is there a stateside source? If I could find someone to buy some and ship it over here, would anyone be interested in a group buy?

Networking?

One of the things we will be working on with tenkara-fisher.net

terry
02-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Is there a stateside source? If I could find someone to buy some and ship it over here, would anyone be interested in a group buy?

Networking?

One of the things we will be working on with tenkara-fisher.net

I just looked at some UPS quotes for shipping from my address to Tokyo, its not cheap. I don't see how it would be any cheaper shipping from there to here, but who knows. The only way I could see it being cost effective is if there was a large number of people participating. Not saying its dead in the water before it even got started, just thinking its not going to be as easy as originally thought.

Tenkara-fisher should draw a larger crowd of tenkara specific anglers. I guess time will tell if we can get together some group buys, or do some networking.

I find it exciting to be part of something fairly new. Keeps my blood flowing.

LMarshall
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Terry, if it looks like it'll work I'd certainly be interested in a group buy.

speyrod
02-22-2010, 05:31 PM
you can count me in on a group buy, this would be a great deal for everyone interested in tenkara fishing!

CM_Stewart
02-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Is there a stateside source? How does this line compare to tenkarausa's level line?

There is no stateside source. I think it is a private label sold by one of the Japanese fishing stores. The line is almost indistinguishable from Tenkara USA's except for one thing:

Sansui line Tenkara USA line

So, to rehash the never-ending question: does fly line color matter?