http://www.easternbrooktrout.org/

BrkTrt
02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Lots of good info there.

Thanks, terry

- Brk Trt

ags
03-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Nice PR stuff. But, when I checked with some people who should know, they told me that as far as they can discern, this Joint Venture is disjointed! Not much, if anything, is being done in two states - Maryland and Pennsylvania. What is happening in the other involved states I can not say.

LMarshall
03-14-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't really know much about the effectiveness of this organization, but I've found the resources they've made available online to be absolutely fantastic. The EBJTV mapper is really useful, and underscores just how bad the situation really is for self-sustaining wild populations. The two papers they have available from Hudy et al. are very informative as well, especially the 2008 paper for the North American Journal of Fisheries Management: http://www.easternbrooktrout.org/docs/BrookTrout08.pdf it's well worth a read.

ags
03-15-2010, 12:07 PM
LMarshall, I agree with your statement. My point is that they have all this information, but based on what people who should know told me, nothing much is being implemented. So, all that vast collection of knowledge and information is going to waste for lack of On Stream/Watershed action/implementation.

LMarshall
03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
ags, it's regrettable if nothing is really being accomplished in terms of on-the-ground conservation. I don't really know if much has been done in New Hampshire or Mass. either. NH is a bit of a blank spot in their data to begin with.

ags
06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Checked in on this effort. Sill nothing doing except some talk that somebody should do something. Hope so!

jmcg
07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
I've been trying to chase this down, as well.
As near as I can tell, they are gathering and monitoring data and providing a web-based data base for F&G biologists and others such as TU chapters to access. In addition, it seems that they aim to be a sort of motivating and cheerleading influence to those involved in restoration work.
Beyond that, I'd say that they are functionally raising awareness to the need to identify and work to either protect or improve existing habitat.

I'm waiting for a call which was supposed to come in June, as to when I can actually help streamside in NH. I'm also waiting for an email response to a query to the Northeast chair person.

ags
07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Please let me know how things go in NH.

Would like to see some action here in Maryland. Have made an offer to join and become involved with a plan effort/group that wants to get something organized to do some preservation and restoration work.

ags
07-11-2010, 10:21 AM
LeeG,

In states like Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia where they mine coal and the streams are polluted by AMD, they use various treatment processes which use limestone.

Not sure to what extend limestone treatment is used to lower the Ph of a naturally high acidic stream.

ags
10-12-2010, 05:59 PM
UPDATE
Have found out that a few groups in Maryland are doing some good work on brook trout preservation and restoration. Have been in touch with them and plan to meet with some of the fine people involved and if they want me to do something that my limited abilities can do, I will do so.

As I see it the organization that had the responsibility to lead this effort, just did not lead. Some of us waited for some action while a few others decided to forge ahead without a "leader".

I now know that the Feds. State, and some conservation organizations have already completed some restoration work and they are planning to do more preservation and restoration work in those watersheds that are capable of support brook trout.

ags
02-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Additional Information on Joint Venture

In previous posts, mentioned that the State was doing some good work on preserving and restoring Brook Trout Waters (mostly streams in Maryland). What I want to add is the fact that County Governments in Maryland are also involved with the Brook Trout preservation and restoration efforts. Can personally vouch that Frederick County has already completed some preservation on restoration projects and has plans to implement and completed additional projects.