PDA

View Full Version : Hello from northeast Iowa

wandering owl
02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Howdy folks! I am a newbie to fly fishing and hope to buy my first outfit this spring. I hope you don't mind if I wade around and do a lot of learning.

I wade the streams of northeast Iowa for trout and smallmouth bass - spin fishing for now, but I'm thinking I need to try it with nymphs and streamers.

If you're the teaching types and appreciate eager students, I've found the right place. I'm looking forward to checking out the forums and especially pics of trout and trout country. No scenery better.

troutrageous1
02-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Hey Owl, nice to see you made it over.
Good luck with your new addiction-to-be...believe me when I say your first outfit wont be your last! ;)

gusstrand
02-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Welcome!

soupmix
02-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Fly fishing is a boat-load of fun... but there is something to be said about throwing spinners in a small stream for the elusive large brown. That is how I got started and it is still one of my favorite ways to fish on a rainy summer day!

wandering owl
02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Thank you for the welcomes! I'll try to get some pics of my favorite streams up soon.

Zac Sexton
02-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Wandering Owl,

Welcome aboard! Any of us here, would be glad to answer any questions--you just have to sort through our BS :crazy: . One recommendation I have right away, is to fish flies with your spinning gear. I'm not sure if you've tried yet, or not, but that's how I started. There are a few options, but two good ones are: put a couple/few BB split shot about 15 inches above a fly such as a Wooly Bugger or Half Back, and fish it much like a lure. Though, I did better with an up-and-across cast, then reel in as the fly comes down, and let 'er swing at the end of the drift, bouncing the bottom as you go. The split shot is the weight you'll need to cast the fly.

Also, you can use a "Bubble", or clear, elongated bobber (or orange, or whatever floats your boat). I like the ones with the rubber bands in the middle, so you can twist the band anywhere along the line to secure the bubble. Leave line behind the bobber about the length of your pole (when you get your first fly outfit, it's called a ROD :bigthumb: ), and tie on any floating fly you wish--poppers and big foam things for Smallies, and a Stimulator, or Royal Wulff (as examples) for trout.

That should get you "fly" fishing until you get your first flyROD, and reel. Good luck and have fun.

Sean
02-11-2010, 09:17 PM
welcome and you need to check out and talk to the guys at Driftless angler in Viroqua WI. They'll be the closest shop to you

http://www.driftlessangler.com/

I work in a shop in milwaukee WI and work with those guys too.

www.theflyfishers.com (http://www.theflyfishers.com)

wandering owl
02-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the tips and the links guys!