PDA

View Full Version : Kona bluewater report

mems
02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Aloha, I spent the past couple of weekends offshore bluewater fly fishing with Russ Nitta on the Lepika. Russ was kind enough to take us to one of his secret spots. The first weekend I went with three novices to bluewater. Andy from Canada got his first mahi on the fly. Jack and Bruce had a blast catching the ahi that ranged from 10-50 lbs. We picked up a couple more mahi on the troll back in.
2nd weekend I went out with Ken Whelams of Springbrook Canada. Ken is an experinced fly guy and said the mission was to put his wife Lorraine on fish. Russ obliged with Lorraine getting her first mahi and her first billfish a shortnosed spearfish. She had even more fun with the ahi on light tackle. She fell in love with my pink Rainy's bubblehead popper, "Gosh that gott eaten just sitting in the water at the back of the boat!"
Ken and I had a great time catching ahi in the 20-30lb range. I got to try out the TFO 8wt mini-mag rod. It was good fun catching ahi with that size rod. We took some tuna home for sashimi and Ken's new favorite, poke. Ken had such a good time he booked another day with Russ.
I loved fishing in Kona, nice flat water, I wish we had conditions like that over here in Hilo where I live. Sometimes the bluewater fishing here is just wonderful, Mems.