PDA

View Full Version : Weight Forward Leaders

pszy22
02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
deleted

rayfound
02-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Not to sound argumentative here... but if casting is the only part of the equation, why not just tie tippet directly to a light fly line tip? Part of the purpose of the step-down in leader diameter is to create an ever finer, less likely to spook fish, less likely to slplash, presentation.

Am I missing something here?

palewatery
02-05-2010, 05:45 PM
A local guy is going through the mentor process on his way to instructor qualifications of some type, his mentor is a well known instructor in the UK (writes for magazines etc) and has had him tying up and fishing weight forward leaders. He's been making them up with various lengths and strengths of co-polymer and using them to fish a team of Clyde Style wet flies.
Sorry I don't know his formula, all I know is his mentor swears by them.

flyfishwithme
02-06-2010, 05:06 AM
A local guy is going through the mentor process on his way to instructor qualifications of some type, his mentor is a well known instructor in the UK (writes for magazines etc) and has had him tying up and fishing weight forward leaders. He's been making them up with various lengths and strengths of co-polymer and using them to fish a team of Clyde Style wet flies.
Sorry I don't know his formula, all I know is his mentor swears by them.
Yes he has but if they are so good then why aren't we all using them. If you want some formulas, then look them up here:
http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/

palewatery
02-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Did a google search and found this page with what I assume is the same formula he's teaching the local guy.
http://www.advancedschoolofgameangling.co.uk/magarticle.html

As to why we're not all using them or if they are any good..... I've no idea. Never tried them and never tried using a team of 4 Clyde flies. Born and raised on the Clyde so I probably should have but I've not.
Perhaps they're good and just need to be popularised, perhaps they're only suited to this one niche style of fishing in those certain weather conditions... perhaps they're crap. ?????
Philip, it strikes me that fishing with the Maxia long light rods on your site and spiders is not a million miles away from the fishing in that article. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/experience/opinions.

Jim

flyfishwithme
02-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Could be right Jim,
I'll have to try it.
These type of leaders have been around since the 70's so they are not new. I have built one just to see what it looked like but I have not used it.
I still remain a Ritz stalwart and the leaders I built turn over very well for me. But an experiment will be undertaken.
Strikes me that they may also be good for a Tenkara rod?

Nycflyangler
02-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Weight forward leaders.

Is that anything like prop wash? Or a length of flight line? Or ten feet of freeboard? Or the key to the midway or the sea chest? A inflatable dartboard? A cup of propane? White lampblack? Muffler bearings, diesel engine spark plugs, piston return springs, canooter valves, headlight or blinker fluid, or a top/bottom radiator hose for a Volkswagen type 1 Beetle.