PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern California

eberjef
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm new to fly fishing, but I'm very motivated to learn.

I was directed to this site from the user groups at tenkarausa.com. I've found groups like this (of individuals dedicated to a particular pursuit but not motivated by financial gain) to be invaluable.

I'm also intrigued by this registration process -- I've never seen it before. It makes a lot of sense to separate genuine humans from the borg. Nice work.

In any case, I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from this site in order to lead my kids to an appreciation of being outdoors, of exploring and doing. To be honest, they don't need much motivation. They love hiking, backpacking and fishing. We need a new challenge, however, and that's where fly fishing rivers and streams comes in.

Well, that's all for now.

Thanks for listening.

gusstrand
02-02-2010, 11:37 PM
What?!? No financial gain? Dang. What was I thinking?!? Wait... That's for sure!

LOL... I'll vouch for that and affirm that this is a labor of love. Welcome!

gusstrand
02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Oh, and that sort of intro is EXACTLY what were after. Honest intent. You sir, have a new world of access. Enjoy.

eberjef
02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks gstrand.

I'm gonna check out the access.

gusstrand
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
By the way, where in NorCal?

eberjef
02-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Gstrand,

I'm in Marin County (insert gratuitous reference to: hot tubs / American Taliban / Patagonia pony-tailed dude pissed off that his low fat soy latte was filled too close to the brim so that he can't add his homeopathic Chinese herb extract).

I just checked out the Tenkara forum. Nice! It will be very helpful to have a more independent view than tenkarausa -- not that there's anything wrong with that site. It's very helpful, as many poster here at smallstreams have noted. But as others have also noted, options and variety are good things.

There's a lot to learn. This site will give me a big leg up. Thanks for providing this resource.

I'll try to contribute as I'm able to. Seeing as I'm currently on the ignorant-but-enthusiastic end of the learning curve, it might be a while.

MikeM
02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Welcome eberjef. As a fellow Nor-cal guy, in Stockton, (insert gratutitous references here: inland Oakland, gangland, epicenter of mortgage crisis, etc.) I get it. Marin is nice. Putah Creek is close(r) to you.

I have a good friend that lives in your neck of the woods that shared with me an article from the Marin newspaper this summer about a guy that successfully sued the City of San Rafael for damages he suffered when he hit a pothole on his bicycle. He lost a testicle but gained 100K, I think. That might be the same dude complaining he didn't have enough room for the herbal extract in his latte.

MikeM

gusstrand
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Mike, I had no idea (or no memory) you were in Stockton. I love the Delta. I think you know I grew up in Escalon. Spent many of my formative years all over the place out there in the sloughs. Caught too many bass, catfish and stripers in there. My first striper was from under the Rio Vista bridge. I was 10, he was 10#. Loved the mothballed ships, the turning basin, Locke (ever been to Al the Wop's (http://www.yelp.com/biz/al-the-wops-locke)? I remember getting steaks and peanut butter on french bread more than once there as a kid) - all over...

Small world. :thumbup:

MikeM
02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah Gus... I think I did tell you that way back when. Yes, Al the Wop's is still there cranking out the steaks. That was one of my Dad's hangouts before his bar credit got called, then we never went back. I went there last year with some friends and had this creepy feeling somebody was gonna say, "hey... aren't you Danny's kid...? " and hit me up for his debt. I just can't get totally into the delta. A guy really needs a boat to do it right - not the Green Weenie type, something with some horsepower and a little more substance. Stripers have frustrated me. I catch shakers. My spin-fishing friend caught a fattie on top water (Zara-spook) this year, a 35lb. cow. His first cast of the day in Whiskey Slough.

I have had some great days on the Stannie above Orange Blossom for the rainbows. They've kept the water down this year and it has totally redistributed the fish. My usual haunt has had nothing but fry.

MikeM

eberjef
02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the welcome. Thanks for mentioning Putah Creek, also. It wasn't on my radar, but a quick Google turned up a lot of information.

And I may be closer to Putah Creek, but you've got an hour and a half advantage over me getting to the Sierras. That's worth quite a bit.

Quick question if you wouldn't mind: where would you suggest a novice like me try his luck? I don't mind driving 2 or 3 hours. And bear in mind that my light Tenkara rod can only handle trout (steelhead or bass would be too much).

Regarding the cyclist suing over a pothole, I didn't see that, but, yeah, it doesn't surprise me. As you alluded to, every place has its stereotypes -- and in many cases, there's substance that gave rise to those views. But the neighborhood I live in is pretty down to earth . . . and avoiding Patagonia dude's haunts is pretty easy to do.

MikeM
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
e-jef:

Check your PM. I sent you some ideas that will keep you Googling for awhile. Gus could chip in on this too as he is a Nor-cal dude.

MikeM

eberjef
02-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks Mike. Got it.

You're right -- plenty of possibilities. That should keep me going for a while.

Thanks again.

jleal
10-17-2010, 05:16 PM
eberjef,
like yourself I am a new member here also. If you live in marin county, a couple of hours driving can put you on many Tenkara perfect waters. Day trips or overnites. Putah Creek as was mentioned earlier, altho I usually avoid that creek. The foothills of the Sierra's are full of small streams, some only worth it in the spring, others into the summer, and still others fishing good all thru the season.
If you head north up the coast, many opportunities open up. North up the Sacramento valley to Redding is another whole group of rivers. You can PM me if you want . I can list them for you or just provide basic info. One important thing to remember is to be willing to do a little research with a road atlas/topo maps, pick an area that appeals to you and your fishing wants, then drive there and explore. That is the main way I discovered my own favorite streams, many of which I return to frequently. Even if you get skunked, you can learn many things. If the stream looks to have potential, visit at another time and then make decisions. Sometimes you can be very surprised.

lykos33
10-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm new to fly fishing, but I'm very motivated to learn.

I was directed to this site from the user groups at tenkarausa.com. I've found groups like this (of individuals dedicated to a particular pursuit but not motivated by financial gain) to be invaluable.

I'm also intrigued by this registration process -- I've never seen it before. It makes a lot of sense to separate genuine humans from the borg. Nice work.

In any case, I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from this site in order to lead my kids to an appreciation of being outdoors, of exploring and doing. To be honest, they don't need much motivation. They love hiking, backpacking and fishing. We need a new challenge, however, and that's where fly fishing rivers and streams comes in.

Well, that's all for now.

Thanks for listening.

Borg...well that dang well explains a lot of stuff...like how is a furniture company pitching beds and bureaus remotely connected with fly tying and flyfishing?!?!? I have to agree with you about the invaluable info sites like this afford young ...ok newer, fishermen....once they get outta the dreaded "SHALLOWS"