PDA

View Full Version : River Taw

utahtu
02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
It has been eon's since I fished (angled) in England (UK). Many of my angling adventures were on the River Taw while staying at the Fox & Hounds.

Has anyone been down there lately? How is the angling?

Theo
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
utahtu, I learned to fish on those lovely little Devon rivers, the Taw and the Torridge... I try to get back to at least one of them every year, and just the thought of either still raises the hairs on the back of my neck!

These guys are now based at the Fox & Hounds, and the past season's archive should give you an idea of what the fishing is currently like:

http://devonschoolofflyfishing.com/blogs/devon-team/

BTW, how long ago do you mean by "aeons"?

Theo

ofuros
02-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Thought that name rang a bell...it's source starting on dartmoor,near Okehampton. As a lad used go to school there......fished for trout, grayling, salmon in the river lyd, tavy, walkham, lew and thrushel.....on the other side of the moors.
One day, we even followed the River Lew's serpent like course, all the way down to where it enters the River Tamar......

Doesn't help or answer your question at all.......but just for brief moment, you took me back to a bygone age...thanks.

Westcountry
03-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I fish upstream of the Fox and Hounds water on a club stretch.
The trout fishing is as good as it ever was. The bit I fish is too far up for salmon and sea trout, they have not been getting many on the hotel water for some years now. To be fair nobody really fishes for migratory fish up there much these days, if a few more folk tried they might get a surprise.

Andy