PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South Africa!

Lotheni
01-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Hi! I'm Ray from Pietermaritzburg. Greetings to all at Smallstreams from the Zulu Kingdom! :wave:

I had just discovered your site before the big shutdown, and am very pleased to see it re-open! My joining the site now coincides with your more stringent membership criteria - which I do think will pay dividends in terms of the overall quality. :clap: So it seems I'll have to get my act together with regard to some early contributions.

For those not familiar with this part of the world, we have some really good brown and rainbow stream fishing here (mostly in the Drakensberg Mountains - one of which I'm using as my screen name here) as well as still water fishing for the larger specimens. Good sport is also to be had with indigenous species, such as yellowfish, of which there are several varieties.

I am Irish originally, grew up fishing small spate waters there in counties Down and Antrim, and have spotted some familiar small waters on this board. ;) I hope to be doing some fishing over there from time to time as well.

Anyone coming over for the soccer world cup? - be sure to pack your 0-weight!

Gerard
01-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Welcome Ray. A friend of mine still needs the Scaly for his 9 species count. Is the Mooi River still producing good fishing? He was thinking to wet a fly around the Muden area (Ivala Guest Lodge).
Tight lines.
Gerard

Neil
01-29-2010, 05:09 AM
Welcome Ray, nice to see more SA input here!

Lotheni
01-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Hi Gerard! Thanks for the welcome! How are those Cape streams at present?

Yes, there are plenty of Scaleys around - the Mooi is good, but a bit high at present. There are usually large scaleys at the cascades on Midmar Dam though. I'm more of a trout man myself, and usually head for the mountains.

Hi Neil! Thanks for the greeting!

adam
01-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Nice.

I would love to watch World Cup then go for a flight and a fish.

Neil
01-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Ray

My avatar is a pic taken on the Mooi. Probably my favourite KZN stream. I fish up in the Drakensberg at least once a year. Love brown trout and KZN waters.

Regards
Neil

Lotheni
01-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi Adam! Better book quick - the tickets are going fast!

Neil - nice fish, and yes the Mooi is beautiful. I cant decide which stream I like the best - the Mooi, Bushmans, Lotheni, Umkomaas, Umzimkulu, etc - they are all great. Do let me know when you are down this way - I bet we can find some new waters for you! Mind you, you have some fine waters in the Cape too!

Gerard
01-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Hi Gerard! Thanks for the welcome! How are those Cape streams at present?

The streams are still fishable early morning, but the heat is taking its toll later on in the day, with trout taking cover in deeper water. We had some good rain this past winter which extended the trout season.

Of course, the yellowtail are coming along nicely so I'll be heading for the salt soon. :D

Do let me know when you are down this way - I bet we can find some new waters for you! Mind you, you have some fine waters in the Cape too!

Ray, would you mind sending me a PM with your contact details. I'll pass it on to my friend Robert to follow up.

Lotheni
01-30-2010, 06:46 AM
Gerard, PM sent.

firephish
02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Ray nice to see some other south africa small stream enthusiasts about ... i'm planning an expedition to the berg this autum if you have any suggestsions ;)

Lotheni
02-21-2010, 04:16 AM
I'll happily give you a few pointers! ;)

Jax
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Lotheni; Each name in your list of waters Mooi Bushmans Etc; Brought Flashbacks of my attempts on those waters over Thirty years ago.

Fly fishing was a bit new and when a mate and I decided to join a fly fishing club in Durban. We were shocked to find that "Blue Collar Workers" were not welcome. Their Loss. Funny how things change . My one regret is that Yellows were not on my horizon then, although Scaley definately were.

Trout in New Zealand are one step from heaven especially in the Back Country. Frequent footprints are becoming the Norm rather than the Exception as Helicopters become the easy way to get into the best waters. Progress??? Still thinking on that one. Have Fun. :) Jax

cfr
04-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Just saw this - good to see some fellow South Africans here - how many of you are there?

Lotheni
05-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Hi Jax!

Sorry for the delayed response!

Yes, flashbacks work well, in a variety of colours! :D

Flyfishing here, as with most things, is a lot less "elitist" nowadays, especially as some of our previous "blue collar workers" to use your phrase, are now billionaires (and a couple of whom enjoy the pursuit).

Your wonderful New Zealand fishing is a pleasure I have yet to experience. We have our own largely untapped fishing potential here, up in Lesotho. It has its own challenges, but promises great potential.

Lotheni
05-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Hi Mario!

Not sure how many are on here, but there are a few.