PDA

View Full Version : Pack Goats

Rob From Shasta
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, I received a young goat from my wife, who got it from a goat breeder. This breeder specializes in Pack Goats, which now is fascinating me. I see a few things online and I thought I'd like to test the waters here to ask how many of you have used pack goats or other pack animals on your fishing trips...you know, I've always liked to go light when I'm hoofing it around here, but now I may be able to pack in a few more things with this guy with me...

gusstrand
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
LOL... I meant to ask - did you move back to Shasta or elsewhere, Rob? With all of the great water you have again, you might still appreciate that Brushy is getting ready to show me more secrets.

Oddly as well, I was in the Medford Airport over Thanksgiving, and I hear this guy say - "Gus? GUS?!" Freakin' Chris Raine was stuck there, too. I was making our long awaited exit, but it was cool just to get to say Hi to an old friend. :)

I think a pack goat would be useful on the upper Sac... or better yet the Compound Fracture stretch of the Klamath... :)

adam
01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
I love dogs, I have a high energy one at home, Archie.

Good boy Archie.

Onstream?

Not once, ever, have I seen a well behaved dog, never. They are in the water, trompin around where you don't want them, they walk the path with their owners and are defensive and I can dig that but am not a fan of dogs onstream, sorry Zac.

But a goat?

WTH?

I bet a goat would be cool, mellow, eatin grass when it stops, chillin. I bet goats are cool to walk with. But I can just hear the brokeback mountain mumbles in the background...

LMarshall
01-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I bet a goat would be cool, mellow, eatin grass when it stops, chillin. I bet goats are cool to walk with. But I can just hear the brokeback mountain mumbles in the background...

:lol: a goat would be pretty good, they don't seem to mind being tethered either. They're also amazingly agile and sure footed, I've seen goats climbing trees, so you definitely wouldn't be limited too much in terms of the terrain you can access.

sounds pretty cool to me: http://www.northwestpackgoats.com/whats_a_packgoat.htm

What about alpacas or llamas?

mikeytwoshoes
01-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I would like to see a goat climb a tree.

LMarshall
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I would like to see a goat climb a tree.

here you go: http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/upl ... _goats.jpg (http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/tree_goats.jpg)

Ernest
01-31-2010, 04:26 PM
I took a look at the website on the pack goats, and they look like they're just the thing.

I tongue in cheek suggested to Adam a llama, but the goats look like the superior animal for the purpose. Just make sure the goat bonds with the owner. Once leadership issues are settled, the goat will be better behaved than a dog.

A dog, being a predator by nature, might want to chase wildlife. A goat is a prey animal, and will stick with the leader of the pack (hopefully, you). The only concern I see is if you're in an area with hungry coyotes or wolves.

We have a couple of horses. The logistics and issues of bringing a horse on a fishing/camping trip are incredible. A goat looks like the saner choice.

Brooktrout
02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
goats in trees? am i hallucinating? :shock:

i guess the goat thing is catching on. this guy http://gusfoster.com/ lives in taos and is a backcountry photographer. he uses 2 or 3 goats and loves them.

good points about dogs on streams adam. i have had the same experience. either go for a hike with the dog or fish. you can't do both.

if you frequent grizzly country get a llama. for some reason griz usually gets freaked out by them and stays away.

this is related, and trippy. it happened to a goat packer in the mtns near lake city, co. http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=2110

rayfound
02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Awesome. I want a goat now.

Deschutes
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I think it would awesome to get one, too, but my wife said no. I am guessing it is a lot harder to hide a goat in the garage than all my fly gear she does not know about. So I guess I lose this one. Would love to hear some stories of fly fishing/hiking/camping with a goat.

Rob From Shasta
02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
LOL... I meant to ask - did you move back to Shasta or elsewhere, Rob?
Yes, I did. The kids are off to college, it was just me and the wife, and I got a job offer back here in Redding, and jumped on it. I recently emailed you, so you may have heard me bragging about my first big wild steelhead when I returned.

Be sure to share any pics of Brushy fish. I caught some of the most colorful little sunfish there, and I'll never forget those Rio Grande Cichlids with their flashing patterns...I still have a little fossil I snuck out of there as well!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

As far as the goat, I havent had a chance to hike yet with the little guy, but my wife has. Much easier to manage than a dog, and the ability to pack gear is going to be a great plus. He is bonding well with us as well.

I'm reading online about them and they do sound ideal for flyfishermen.

Brooktrout
02-12-2010, 12:45 PM
...the more i look at that photo the more i think it is a fake. i doubt that some of those limbs (lower left and right) could support that much weight. and one of the goats' (lower left) feet does not look like it is really standing on a tree, it is in mid-air.
just wondering.

Ernest
02-12-2010, 03:02 PM
It's an impressive picture. I've never seen that many goats in one tree before, but I have seen goats in trees.

When we're camping in our area we hang our food packs up out of the bears' reach overnight. Maybe the goats will help us with that. We can leave the food packs on the goats, and turn then out into a tree. But will they come down in time for breakfast?

troutrageous1
02-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Just to interject...posts like this are one of the reasons I really enjoy this forum.
Would never have a conversation like this on some of the other fishing sites I frequent.

LMarshall
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
...the more i look at that photo the more i think it is a fake. i doubt that some of those limbs (lower left and right) could support that much weight. and one of the goats' (lower left) feet does not look like it is really standing on a tree, it is in mid-air.
just wondering.

Yeah, its possible some of those goats were photo-shopped into that picture... To be honest I just googled "goats + tree." But, like Ernest, I have not seen that many goats in trees, but I have seen goats in trees.

Just to interject...posts like this are one of the reasons I really enjoy this forum.
Would never have a conversation like this on some of the other fishing sites I frequent.

I agree, gotta say this is the first I ever heard of pack goats.