PDA

View Full Version : Anybody home?

MikeM
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm Mike (MikeM). I'm acquainted with Adam and Gus from days gone by (hi guys!). I've been away from Smallstreams for a variety of reasons, mostly because I had drifted far, far downstream, to a spot that was no longer a small stream for me, but also because of personal matters.

I flyfish. It is part of my life - a multi-faceted activity/mindset that heals my head and my heart. I've written lots of stuff about it: feelings, connections; some joyful things, some sad things. Mostly just spontaneous expressions about it which wind up as posts. Flyfishing usually contributes to my overall happy demeanor.

I live in Northern CA. I mostly fish for trout in areas all over northern CA, my "home" river is the Stanislaus (Gus knows...) and my small stream is **********. I do enjoy the Fall River and the Pit too. But, I have a real strong affinity for salty fish and over the last few years have fallen in love with Snook. I have a small Snook sticker on the bumper of my car, which is cheesy, according to my 21 year old son - because nobody in our area knows what it is. I hate bonefish, which has been well documented. I like Tarpon a lot, but not as much as Snook. Sea trout suck, Redfish are tough, Jacks are almost up there with Snook. If they jumped they would move to the top. I haven't gotten serious about Permit, although I've thrown a fly at two. I have caught some other salty fish but these were incidental: shark (very strong), mackeral (fast), bluefish (ow), catfish (ugh), ladyfish (fun), Palometta (fake permit) and an assortment of aquarium-type minis that managed to find the point of the hook. There are no Snook/Tarpon in nor-Cal so I have been going to Florida once or twice a year. I am not wealthy. These trips are usually connected to business trips or trips to see friends, but I ALWAYS travel with my flyrod(s) and save enough to use guides, which has been very educational and sometimes humiliating. It is good for me to stay humbled. I could be fishing regularly for stripers, but I don't own a boat, which is almost a must where I live if you are serious about it. I can't afford a boat, although, you can get them really, really cheap right now.

I tie flies (poorly & slowly). I was gifted with an amazing antique homemade fly tying box with a basic Thompson vice years ago (it was my father-in-laws) and I've been tying ever since. Simple saltwater patterns and midge pupa are my favorites (duh). I can, when pressed, tie a sloppy BWO but it takes me 25 minutes. Roy Christie is my fly-tying hero.

I am middle-aged. I don't feel old mentally, but my peer group and visual/physical reactions from young people confirm that I would be considered "old" by anybody in their 20's or 30's. I can still wade and hike and stuff because I'm in decent shape, but I need magnifiers to tie the small stuff, old-man vitamins (with prostate support supplements!), etc. I'm two years away from getting an (unwanted) discount at Denny's. I have lots of gray hair, which I say I'm proud of (probably a lie if I was tested). My sons typically will not fish around or near me due to my choice of headwear. They haven't figured out that I do it on purpose.

I enjoyed Smallstreams in the past and its 'sister' site - I posted there frequently. I probably can't post like I used to because of pressing family responsibilities, but I will contribute when able.

Did I pass?

MikeM

adam
01-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Good to see you back.

gusstrand
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
MikeM... LOL... Welcome back. You're writing is still the www.stream-fisher.com (http://www.stream-fisher.com) home page. :)