PDA

View Full Version : New member from the UK

lawrenceh_w
01-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi,

Having read the rules for this new member section, I guess I'll start ...

I've been fly fishing for 2 years now but I've fished for more than 20 years using bait and lures. I love fishing rivers rather than lakes as there's always something happening. Last year I joined a club which has fishing rights to the River Whitewater in Hampshire.

There is some stocking of brown trout (which I don't really agree with) but there's a good head of breeding trout along with a good head of chub and dace. I love fishing for chub and dace on the fly as well as these are truly wild fish and hooking dace on a dry fly is far harder than catching trout on a dry fly :shock:

I currently use a TFO 6' #2 fly rod here but I might upgrade to a 6'6" #3 (possibly a Greys Streamflex or an Echo Carbon) as I feel that I need a little bit more rod length to aid line control. I've got a 7'6" rod which I find too long. Lots of overhanging branches!

I'm hoping that I'll be able to pick up a lot of tips and techniques here to help my fishing.

adam
01-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks Lawrence.

We aren't looking to be the biggest, just trying to keep the quality up.

lawrenceh_w
01-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks Lawrence.

We aren't looking to be the biggest, just trying to keep the quality up.

I fully understand your reasoning ... I've been on flyforums.co.uk and that can just get nasty. Lots of people, lots of opinions, lots of trolls ... :?

I'm off to New Zealand for my honeymoon (4 weeks off :D ) in 2 weeks time. I've even got 2 day's fishing booked ... can you tell why I married her?

soupmix
01-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Good for you! Eveytime my wife looks at me sideways because I want to buy more fishing gear I remind her that she could of married someone who goes to the bar everynight. She usually just smiles and gives me a hug!

luredalive
01-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm considering the Greys 6'6" #3 too and also Hardy's little glass brook rod,its very nice.

palewatery
01-31-2010, 09:21 AM
Welcome aboard. One of the parts of the Clyde I fish used to have a lot of Dace... easy enough to rise them, not so easy to actually hook them. Great fun trying though.

springwell
01-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Welcome Lawrence,

I pulled out of flyrorums.co.uk last year too.

Bill :)