PDA

View Full Version : Bushcraft links, thoughts and discussion...

gusstrand
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
All of this ultralight backpacking and whatnot has made me thing a Bushcraft topic would be worthy. :)

This website has some pretty good stuff in text and video: http://www.bushcraftnorthwest.com/
This one too: http://www.azbushcraft.com/

Basic bushcraft survival kit:
Knife, Axe, Fire Starting, paracord, fishing/trot line, Signal mirror... and?

As far as a knife, I have plenty... but only have one small "regular" Estwing-type axe that I actually dug up on our ranch as a kid as a rusty hunk that I propmptly took to the shop and whupped in to shape on the grinder and brush... I have three or four various variants of firesteel and some magnesium powder in a lifecapsule, including a nice firesteel a friend in Sweden made for me with a piece of antler as a handle. I also have some vaseline soaked cotton pads and some very sappy pine chips in sealed containers with the fire starter.

How about you guys?

gusstrand
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh, on the "fire" topic. This guy offered me one of his titanium fire pistons in trade for a knife once... I didn't take it, but they're interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/user/exodus12512 ... bsYXHwrzsU (http://www.youtube.com/user/exodus125125#p/u/7/rbsYXHwrzsU)

terry
01-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I am not a survival expert, but I have put enough research and practice into it to feel I can make do for a couple days if I had to.

Kit: 2 knives, 2 compasses, small billy can, paracord, matches, R.A.T fire steel, whistle, vaseline soaked cotton balls, fiskars saw, and an AMK heatsheet space blanket.

This stuff pretty much comes with me every time I head out into the woods. I haven't needed any of it yet, but I always keep it in my mind that carrying it might someday save my behind.

JB in SC
02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't generally carry a lot of stuff, a few essentials. The Bushcraft thing is very appealing to me as a life long outdoorsman. Perhaps a little more traditional in many ways. Nothing like starting a fire from tinder with flint and steel (or a striker). Mastering those skills can come in handy in many ways, one never knows....

The knives used seem to be the Mora type with a scandi grind. I like the concept and ordered a Dozier Bushcraft due next year. Custom knives are a real weakness.

adam
02-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I've done it, albeit with guides.

Malay jungle, many nights out. We had the choice of a knife and what ever we could stuff in our pockets, two canteens of water, iodine tabs and a machete. I carried an minimalist aid bag. The first hour both canteens empty and we had days and about 15 miles to cover. They taught us to get off the jungle floor at night, up on racks we built of bamboo or timber. The machete was the best tool, another good tool was a type of scarf, a net scarf, you could do a lot of things with it. We had para cord which worked for many things but when in the jungle, you can strip bark to tie things off. We drank from vines most of the time, hanging vines. We also drank from seeps and trickles in mountain valleys. Covered in leeches all the time, I remember sewing up a guy who did not follow rule number one and always cut / chop away from your body. I used my hat as a sterile field. The Warrant Officer gave him a round of antibiotics when we got back, I removed his stitches days later, good to go.

I learned to track, it was amazing.

I can do this no problem but I still need to get out there on my own and face my fears, miles from no one, alone.

I'm pretty sure this will be a mute point soon. I don't find it a big deal. Looking at Google Earth and planning my thru-hike up a stream, over a mountain top and down a valley for p/u. It's going to be pretty cool.

I vote that the machete is the best tool, followed by water purification and the skills in your head, how to keep cool and find your way. WATER is a must you can't do without and being fishers, this is not that big of a deal. I don't like iodine but I used it, I now carry Aquamira drops.

Noah is crying, wants to watch Thomas the Tank Engine videos at the web site.

Gotta go.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/spec ... product_10 (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/specialty-shops/web-exclusives/view-all-web-exclusives/28021.aspx?feature=product_10)

[attachment=0:1659vtem]machete.jpg[/attachment:1659vtem]

terry
02-03-2010, 09:48 AM
In the north, the machete is replaced as the "one tool" by a small axe or hatchet. Large lumber used to fuel a large fire is the name of the game.

I always try to remember that my clothing is the first layer of shelter and dress for the worse.

gusstrand
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
For Adam... one of the two newest products from RAT (now ESEE) is just what you need. :)

http://www.eseeknives.com/junglas-machete.jpg

adam
02-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I knew about that Gus, it's in the process of making it public but not available yet. The machete that I posted the image of is the shape and 2nd gen type that I used. The sheath is set up with leather at the opening and a sleeve for a file. I used that along with a Gerber double side edge that was not really a good choice and I gave it to my guide, he liked it, go figure.

As a civilian, I'm not interested in making hooches, building big fires, killing things to survive.

Nothing like that, not one bit.

ZERO IMPACT

That's why I have kitted out with super ultralight gear. Titanium pots, tiny stove, gossamir tent, high tech fabrics, efficient gear designed for a light load. I'm doing two nighters with about 18lbs with food, fuel and water.

The only impact I will have is a cat hole for my turds.

That's it.

Walking silently, my big stick will be my fly rods (tenkara and pack) and a great attitude. Walking softly, observing, blending with the environment.

No impact.

Bushcraft leaves a big big mess.

Been there, done that.

gusstrand
02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
LOL... high impact... it sure can be... great observation. It's akin to the first pioneers - moving in and settling down in the wilderness for the long term. I do think the skills are worthy - and that odds are becoming greater that we may need to use those skills regularly in our lifetimes. Different topic, and not one for here. :)

So... Machetes are big. Too big for my needs, although on another forum a local guy brought up that in Texas woods, they may be more useful than an axe. The vines and briars here are cray-zee...

So that leads to another thought. What skills that one would typically associate with bushcraft would you guys say are worth knowing on a broad sense?

MikeM
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Making fire. I have had wet matches and wet clothes. It is hard to make fire if you have not practiced.

Generating potable water, or making water potable. I have been very thirsty.

MikeM

gusstrand
02-03-2010, 04:25 PM
So, I agree. New topic in the house!

Ernest
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Making fire.

One of my junior high schoolmates was crazy for trout fishing, and he and I camped overnight the first weekend of the trout season each of several years. We were too young to drive. We'd be dropped off on a dirt road, and the driver, usually my dad or his mom, would say they'd try to remember to pick us up in a few days. We would walk a mile or so from the road to the stream. We didn't have a tent. We were in the woods. Once we camped in a snowbank. Once it rained all night and all of two days. We were cold and miserable.

The rainy weekend was the worst. Daryl found enough dry duff under a fallen tree to coax a small fire. The only dry kindling we could find we split out of the trunk of a fallen cedar. It took an hour and a lot of damp matches, but he got the fire going without resorting to flint and steel. Even a smoky sputtering campfire is good for morale when you're cold and wet and the rain starts to turn to snow.

That guy could fish, too. He always caught fish. He was good at it, and I think he loved it. After college he moved to Alaska to be a school teacher, and the last I heard, he'd retired from teaching and is a fishing guide in his adopted state.

adam
02-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Water.

Fire.

Shelter.

Food.

You can go a long time without eating, you can't without water.

I was not impressed by the titanium piston for fire. I am impressed with a BIC lighter, hurricane matches, a flint and scraper...

An oven bag, you can do a lot with re: water.

Snare, know how to.

Know where North is.

Know what will hurt you.

Knowing is just important as having...

JB in SC
02-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Fire starting....not much cheers a soul like a fire.

Bic, matches, Firesteel. The basic stuff is so light now, there is no reason not to carry a jacket or a sil tarp, a stove, a pot if you think you might be out overnight.

Be able to read a map, use a compass or a GPS.