PDA

View Full Version : Buzzer/chironomid/midge larva

rossa
01-08-2010, 01:52 PM
The buzzer has been used to great effect on Irish and British lakes over the years, especially on British still waters where they're used effectively for rainbows.
Two questions; the first for any irish and Brithsh still water anglers. Have you ever tried the patterns on rivers/streams?
Secondly to anyone form outside Ireland and Britain, are buzzer/chironomids used much by anglers where you're from on still water or river/stream?
Thanks.

Alpinefly
01-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm in the United States. The Buzzer Chironomid I use both in Stillwater and Streams (especially Tail waters like South Platte Dream Stream Section/Colorado, and San Juan River/New Mexco). The proof is on the water; they work !!!!! ;)

martin_b
01-08-2010, 05:51 PM
They're used by a few people here in Denmark on streams, including me, and it can sometimes be a pattern that gives fish on an otherwise skunked day.

flyfishwithme
01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
A very good question.
I use a 'bloodworm' pattern on the 1st dropper when fishing for Grayling using a short line nymph approach during winter. This, together with caddis larva is probably the prime source of food for Grayling in the northern rivers of UK.
The 'bloodworm' accounts for 40% of the fish I take using this method.

lawrenceh_w
01-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I had a guided day out on the Provo River in Utah last year and the guide rigged up a 2 nymph system with an olive nymph with a midge larvae on a trailing dropper. All the rainbows I caught took the midge larvae and the browns all took the olive nymph. Really interesting to see how picky the 2 species are.

rossa
01-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, just interested to hear as I always associated them with still water.