PDA

View Full Version : Philip's Needle Fly - 'The Stone'

flyfishwithme
01-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I have been using this pattern with tremendous success over the past few years when Needle Fly (small stoneflies) are fluttering about. Particularly good in fast water and I had one of my clients hook and land 30 fish one day with this pattern.
I originally thought that these flies had a small egg sac attached when they were ready to lay eggs. I presumption I have since discounted this idea but have kept it in the pattern.
This fly also works well as a Grannom.
Hook: Teimco 103BL
Thread: Black Uni 8/0
Tag: Flouro tying silk
Body: CDC
Wings: 2 CDC tied 'wonderwing style'
Thorax: CDC
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss94/flyfishwithme/the_stone.jpg

Jax
01-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes! A real fish fetcher there. I have no doubt it will account for a lot of fish.

Flea
01-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Thats a great whispy little fly..

Willows & needles predominantly cause the stir during Autumn here in the Uk, although they are present & certainly & mainstay in the fly box throughout the year... Ollie edwards tied a smashing little needle in masterclass, stripped peacock herl , raffia wings & i think henny hackle?

Grayling certainly like them
Matt

Alpinefly
01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Wow, that looks super deadly !!!! I like !!!! Thanks for the pic and recipe !!!!!
I will put a few of those in my box. :bigthumb:

BrkTrt
01-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Thats a good imitation of the flies I saw in the snow yesterday.

Do toy fish it on the surface or as an emerger?

Thanks,

- Brk Trt

palewatery
01-02-2010, 11:29 PM
:cool:

I could see Grannom Feeders hammering that.

flyfishwithme
01-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Thank you for your comments. Now a few tips.
1. I just fish it as a dry. It sits very low in the water which makes it difficult to see but don't worry about that you will see the splash.
2. Remove the tag and tie it in different cinnamon colours and you have a great caddis pattern.
3. Have plenty of them as the 'glug' up a bit after a few fish and need drying off.