PDA

View Full Version : Hooks

terry
12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
What brand of hooks do you guys tie with? Also, is there a good on-line source for these hooks?

I am a newbie tier and I would like to find a good brand of hooks to use and stick with. I have been tying with the hook&hackle brand, but would like to switch over to a major manufacture. Mustad has my eye right now due to low cost. Thanks

Alpinefly
12-30-2009, 07:40 PM
It really depends on the pattern I am tying . As to anything Mustad, ya want to get that straight from Norway (Signature Hooks) . When I am designing stye of hook will determine what brand I use . Sure as heck would like to get a hold of more of those Swedish Dry Fly Hooks (especially in the 18's) !!!

BrkTrt
12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Terry,

I use Mustads.

Shop some of the sites online and you can find Mustads that are mfg in Norway.

H and H has some of them available.

- Brk Trt

terry
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Are the ones made in Norway superior to the U.S. models?

BrkTrt
12-31-2009, 04:48 AM
I don't think their superior.

What they are is very consistant, in size, strength, sharpness and finish.

I have some old Mustads that are packed in wax wrap and in cardboard boxes.

- Brk Trt

trout-nut
12-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I used to use mustad 94840 & 9671 & 9672 among others I still have a few left. They quit making them. They brought out another series but I'm not sure what the # are. I am going to with tiemco. I already use some for different midge patterns and pheasat tails and stimulators or hoppers. these ar curved 2457, 2487, 2488 and 200R. I also have some 100 & 101 for dry flies. They are about the same price as the new mustad and I think they are sharper. :)

Alpinefly
01-02-2010, 03:08 PM
The Norwegian Mustads are very consistent in their quality, which to me, makes them much better then the Mustads you would get in the U.S . I do look for the Mustad Signature Hooks.
I have seen a higher quality in a lot of the European hooks over that in the United States !!!!
I prefer tying on a higher quality hook . My customers prefer this as well even though it makes the price of my flies a little higher !!!! ;)

utahtu
02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I have used Mustad for years and have found their newer Signature series to be excellent. I especially like their 3906 and 3906B for nymphs.

I switched to Tiemco's a few years back, but found that they had a tendency to get straightened out on larger trout.

I have recently been using Dai-Riki with excellent results.

wrknapp
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I use to care but now I pretty much just buy the hooks I need for a particular fly at the lowest cost unless I have an immediate need. Some of the older hooks are more brittle, have larger barbs, and need sharpening before use. None of these negatives are terribly important to me since most hooks break on something other than the fish; I pinch or file down the barbs, and sooner or later most hooks need sharpening. Just because a pattern calls for a particular hook doesn't mean it is necessary. If money isn't an object then go for quality. If it is an issue than just find inexpensive hooks. They'll work fine.

Randy

rossa
02-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Do you get kamasan hooks in the US?

AndyBaird
02-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Hi terry... :)

I'm a little obsessed with hooks... not just because I can't afford slick rods and reels, 'though that's maybe part of it. So I collect quite a lot.

TMC/Tiemco are solid and reliable, I'm a big fan of patterns 101, 518, 501 and 200R and use 206BL down to #24, 2488 down to #30. Because they only manufacture once a year, supply can be an issue but many dealers are awaiting 2010 stock.
Mustads remain a great hook, albeit the smaller sizes have been discontinued (greater focus on SS and saltwater hooks going forward) so I bulk bought R50's, R30's and CS49's in #26 and #28.
Varivas are now a major player with a very broad pattern range and lot's of smaller patterns/sizes. These are growing in popularity in the UK, represent good value and are very good quality.
Partridge: only really use the Vince Marinaro K1A midge hook in #24 - #28 again following a deal with a local tackle shop owner who never sold a single packet, then I walked in... :ugeek: The K14ST is possibly the perfect hook for tying Roy Christie's RPE's, available down to a #20.
Grip: relatively new to me, the 11011BL is one of the finest #24 dry fly hooks around. A peach!
Daiichi: for me, these are the benchmark in quality hooks, the 1110 in #24 and #26 are sublime for tiny parachutes.

Thing is, I'm coming at you from a very specific angle - I only tie sub #20's and mainly sub #24's but this is a good test of hook quality: proportion, stength, manufacturing consistency, sharpness etc. Kamasan have a few #20 patterns and a #22 midge hook but tend to bottom out at #16. That said, these a good quality hooks and there are deals on boxes of 100's and 1,000's out there.

Please forgive the self-promoton but there is some hook reviews at http://www.smallflyfunk.blogspot.com including sources in the UK - all of whom will readily supply overseas customers.

If you ever find yourself with several hours spare to get in to some hardcore hook analysis, pick up a copy of Darrell Martin's "Micropatterns"... a little excessive, and some may argue quite pointless, but mind boggling to my head and eyes...

Ed Engles chapter on hooks in "Tying Small Flies" is THE reference on the subject - unparalelled. And almost all of the patterns are available in larger sizes, each photographed so subtle comparisons between similar patterns can be observed.

Hope this is of some interest and helps out a little :thumbup: As I say... I'm a touch obsessed :wtf:

Best,
Andy

troutrageous1
02-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Please forgive the self-promoton but there is some hook reviews at http://www.smallflyfunk.blogspot.com including sources in the UK - all of whom will readily supply overseas customers.

Self promotion is cool by me as long as it's good stuff...and after poking around some, it is!
Like your blog very much. I'm now blogger "Follower" #24.

AndyBaird
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Straight back at ya troutrageous1! Follower #30 on board! :cool:

mickfly
02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
No Kamasan that I know of.

I use mostly Tiemco hooks, but also use Dai-Riki, Dai-ichi, Mustad and Gamakatsu, depending on what I am tying and which hooks I am well-supplied with. I have found the older Mustad saltwater hooks to be dull, but otherwise no obvious issues with any brand.