PDA

View Full Version : TMC 518 #32 USD early phase spinner

AndyBaird
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Best wishes to you all for 2010... :geek:

I'm still playing with #32's, trying to develop what can be effectively tied to the hook. Whisper Tails, three turns of peacock herl for a thorax and Whiting midge saddle pretty much covers it.. If you strip half an inch of barbs away from the hackle stem, you can add a couple of turns to form a semi-rib. Thorax cover is grey Niche Midge Wing. Gudebrod 10/0 in light grey holds everything together :cool:

Check the arched abdomen and tail angle, this is exactly the profile adopted by mature spinners as they prepare to shed eggs on the local burn. They are likely a true #28 and lighter but the basic design is good to the natural.

Tied upside down, with a few wisps of hackle trapped forward during the whip finish... Roy Christie style.

Shocking background.... :crazy: :D

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/VooDooBiology/smallstreams/CIMG4103.jpg

ulf_hagstrom
12-29-2009, 01:54 AM
Absolute amazing tie at such small size!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now, getting the tippet in that hook eye would a challenge equaly hard as tying that fly, haha!

Very impressive! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ulf

Flea
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
That little ditty would be lethal in a caenis hatch...
Nice tie, dont loose it ;)

trout-nut
12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow nice fly. I don't think I could see well enough to tie much less fish it. 22 is about as small I can see anymore at close range on the water :)

Roy
12-30-2009, 09:32 AM
You are a madman.
:lol:
fine work, Andy.

Happy 2010

Roy

Alpinefly
12-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Suhhhhhhhhhweeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:

AndyBaird
12-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the comments guys... only the 88% I learnt from Roy is mad, that's why it works! :ugeek:

I'd love to see Ulf's #32 ant imitation on this board :sunny:
Hey trout-nut - it's surprising how visible light dun hackles are on small, brushy water. The #26 below has a prominent profile and I regularly fish Roy's RPE design down to a #28. Stay close-in, and lift to any would-be strike.
Wise words Flea, you know I don't lose too many of these. It takes care and attention at the vice, so they're fished with care and attention on the water.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/VooDooBiology/26i.jpg

Best to you and yours :thumbup:

Andy

Flea
12-30-2009, 07:04 PM
It takes care and attention at the vice, so they're fished with care and attention on the water.
Andy

;)