PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Preferred Floating Craft on Lakes & Air Pumps

Chef
12-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I recently bought an Outcast Prowler and am filling it today to float in a few days. I've always used Outcast in the past with their Fish Cat/Super Fat Cat series but never the Prowler. I have always had difficulty in finding a suitable "hand pump" to top off the tube. Difficult meaning the inlet fitting. I used to duct tape around the fitting so I wouldn't loose air when filling.

I dig kicking around in icey waters and the stealthy like approach I get with a tube rather than a pontoon which in high winds can be fun.

What do you use and what hand pumps?

http://www.outcastboats.com/images/accessories/D_A%20Hand%20Pump.jpg
http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/images/products/models/Prowler.jpg

Gerard
12-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Chef, that’s a nice setup. I like the simplicity of it. :thumbup:

I use the Creek Company ODC816 – it’s an older model which I bought quite a few years back. It’s a very nice stable pontoon boat that you can take on rivers with rapids. My only complaint is that it is too big for the majority of lakes we fish and takes a few minutes to assemble. Of course, on those days when the wind is up I like the comfort of it. :mrgreen:

It came with a standard pump (similar to the one in your pic above) which I also use to top off the pontoons – I use one of those handy car battery powered air pumps to inflate the pontoons. I’ve never had a problem with the pump fittings, but I guess it’s because the pump fittings were pre-matched to the pontoon valve openings.

Chef
12-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Good stuff - My new one has a fitted nose that I just found that attaches to the fitting with a piece of pvc. :crazy: - The old one never had it so I assumed I'd be stuck. Good to see they made a connector valve to the Halkey Roberts valve so a hand pump could top off the air. I use a small battery as well with cables attached and a Viar for the Jeep.

Alpinefly
01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I use both a Trout Traps Pro X and also a Caddis. To fill I used to use a hand pump, but usually will use a portable compressor !!!!

Gerard
01-05-2010, 03:08 AM
I use both a Trout Traps Pro X and also a Caddis. To fill I used to use a hand pump, but usually will use a portable compressor !!!!

Do you use a hand pump to top it off though?

I’m very weary of getting the pressure just right in order to protect the bladder seams. The "compressor" I use to fill the bladder is not powerful enough to pop the seam which is what I want. Using my Landcruiser tyre compressor will pop the seams like champagne corks, so I always use a hand pump to top it off. :thumbup:

Brooktrout
01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
i guess i am a little late on this. oh well. i have a u-shaped caddis, not sure of the model. it is a mid level tube. i love it. i use a rechargeable automatic pump that both inflates and deflates. it is strong, but not strong enough to blow out the seams.
the tube sits perfectly in the water, so unless it is really wavy it works fine.
it is GREAT for high lakes that you can drive or hike short distances to. i slay the large rio grande cutts of an 11,500' alpine lake up in my fishing area of CO with it and just love it. gets me to anywhere i need to be on the lake.

Chef
01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
cool! bring it on over to the Tree in June?

Brooktrout
01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
roger that.

utahtu
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
A few years ago we purchased a couple of JW Outfitters kickboats. They have been excellent, except mine has a leak in one pontoon that I can't seem to find. I recently purchased an Outcast which is a bit bigger, my wife still uses her JW. I also have a few of Classic semi-kickboats. Semi meaning one is a "V" , one an "H" design and the one a "U" type. They are good for packing in to isolated waters.

Years ago I came across an original canvas floattube that you stuffed a innertube into to make it float. The guy I got it from was going to trash it; but I see it as a classic, but will probably never use it.

grayling
02-28-2010, 12:55 AM
If i'm flying into a remote wilderness lake and traveling down river ... then Water Master grizzly/Aire Superlynx/Aire Puma with K-Pump 40... depending on solo trip or with another beating heart. If truely minimalist smallstream/pond fishing ... then Outcast Trinity and lungs.

If day hiking in or riding the BMW 1100GS ... then Outcast Super Fat Cat with NRS foot pump .

If driving Jeep Cherokee solo or with another beating heart ... then Navarro Loon if i can get by without a motor ... If need motor to survive then Grumman sportboat/4 hp Honda or Lowe 17'/35 HP Honda Jet Lowe ... and no pump

More air-filled boats is better ... but hard shell canoes are best ... however i could do everything in Alaska with moderation with the Aire Puma and Outcast Super Fat Cat.

But then my name is RICHARD and i'm boataholic ... and am considering an Alpaca Raft ... just don't tell the wife. :)