PDA

View Full Version : haystacks

terry
12-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Here are a few of Fran Better's haystack pattern. These are tied with a woodchuck tail and an adams gray body.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q52/terry13111/haystack.jpg

AndyBaird
12-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Real nice Terry, the flare on those wings is sweet :geek:

Best,
Andy

BrkTrt
12-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Great job on those Haystacks.

- Brk Trt

ulf_hagstrom
12-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Very, very nice ones! I also dig that flair in the wings, great stuff! :thumbup:

Ulf

rossa
12-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Very nice, what's your method of ensuring the wing stays straight up without sloping forward? I've seen a method on youtube where after tying in the wing you pull it back in bunches and wind thread in fornt of each bunch.

terry
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Very nice, what's your method of ensuring the wing stays straight up without sloping forward? I've seen a method on youtube where after tying in the wing you pull it back in bunches and wind thread in front of each bunch.

First I tie in the hair for the wing, then I wrap the thread down to were I am going to tie in the tail. After tying in the tail I dub the body to the back of the wing. After that I push the hair up to the height I want it to be and wrap the thread with dubbing on it tightly against the front of the hair. I build it up to the correct height and finish the fly.

Hope this helps.

trout-nut
12-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Nice fly. I also do the same thing. I them in bwo, pmd, even caddis only using darlon or zelon for a trailing shuck works great.

terry
12-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Nice fly. I also do the same thing. I them in bwo, pmd, even caddis only using darlon or zelon for a trailing shuck works great.

Yeah they are a good fly with many color possibilities. I first started to tie and fish them because of how cheap hair is compared to hackle.

jmeyerc
12-28-2009, 05:09 PM
The flies are nicely proportioned and the flair of the hair very neatly done. They are great ties Terry.

Jeanne

rossa
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Very nice, what's your method of ensuring the wing stays straight up without sloping forward? I've seen a method on youtube where after tying in the wing you pull it back in bunches and wind thread in front of each bunch.

First I tie in the hair for the wing, then I wrap the thread down to were I am going to tie in the tail. After tying in the tail I dub the body to the back of the wing. After that I push the hair up to the height I want it to be and wrap the thread with dubbing on it tightly against the front of the hair. I build it up to the correct height and finish the fly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's the way I've done it. But I can't stop the wing from sloping forward, more practice required I'd say.