PDA

View Full Version : Found a pretty cool new site...

gusstrand
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
http://artofmanliness.com

From the site:

My idea for the Art of Manliness came about as I was standing in Borders bookstore looking at the men’s magazines. It seemed to me that the content in these magazines were continually going downhill, with more and more articles about sex and how to get six pack abs. Was this all there was to being a man?

And as I looked around at the men my age, it seemed to me that many were shirking responsibility and refusing to grow up. They had lost the confidence, focus, skills, and virtues that men of the past had embodied and were a little lost. The feminism movement did some great things, but it also made men confused about their role and no longer proud of the virtues of manliness. This, coupled with the fact that many men were raised without the influence of a good father, has left a generation adrift as to what it means to be an honorable, well-rounded man.

Talking about honorable manliness was to me a niche seemingly not covered on the web or elsewhere, and I decided to start The Art of Manliness to talk about all things manly- both the serious and the fun, but with the ultimate eye toward encouraging readers to be better husbands, fathers, brothers, men.

I don’t claim to have all the answers, nor do I claim that I’m an expert on all things manly. I started this blog not because I had all the answers to being a man, but because I wanted to explore the questions with other men. Thankfully, I’ve found a whole community of men who wish to discover the lost art of manliness too.

adam
12-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Ughh, looks like a cool site but I am trapped by my honesty, I am NOT a man by any means machisimo.

I kissed a gay guy on the cheek the other day, a man wouldn't do that...

But I'll look at the site, it does seem pretty cool.

gusstrand
12-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I'm not very macho, either... much more subdued...

...as far as the kissing goes, hey, if kissin' cheeks is yer gig, go get 'em! :eh: I'll remember that when we get together... LOL...

adam
12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I did it for shock value.

You get that on a daily basis...

*snickering*

Just kidding Gus.

Last time I talked about being a man around here, ahh nevermind.

A "man site" is cool by me, I totally understand it. There are very few "men" who are men as far as I'm concerned. A "man" is one who holds himself to a higher standard, shows compassion, caring, can change a diaper day after day, mother children if needed, take care of his family. In my world, a man is a part of a family, a "man" can be a solo kind of human too.

Outwardly appearances have nothing to do with being a man.

You may get it, you might not, does not matter.

I care not to define myself as what I think a man should be by my own actions.

That sounds contradictory and I write it that way with intent.

Men are equal to women.

gusstrand
12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Just kidding Gus.

A "man site" is cool by me, I totally understand it. There are very few "men" who are men as far as I'm concerned. A "man" is one who holds himself to a higher standard, shows compassion, caring, can change a diaper day after day, mother children if needed, take care of his family. In my world, a man is a part of a family, a "man" can be a solo kind of human too.

Men are equal to women.

Totally get it and agree... Oddly, that seems to be congruent with part of why the guy started the site. Appearances? Totally get that, too. I'm fat and ugly, and believe my bride married me out of compassion. :)

mikeytwoshoes
12-16-2009, 05:06 PM
be strong like a woman.

rayfound
12-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I did it for shock value.

You get that on a daily basis...

*snickering*

Just kidding Gus.

Men are equal to women.

Or, in a sentence: Real men have character.

adam
12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
be strong like a woman.

Depends what you think is strong...

A single Mom with kids, works two jobs to bring home the bacon, not being paid what a man is paid doing the same thing, works hard for her kids, yup, I need to be strong like that.

That's strength that I desire.

mikeytwoshoes
12-16-2009, 08:45 PM
it's simply a favorite quote from my wife.

adam
12-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Or, in a sentence: Real men have character.

I could never be a "real man" however, many people think I am a character.

I'm ok with that.

adam
12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Impressive Gus, you are right, a pretty cool site.

I really like what I have read so far. It seems like there is a woman in the mix...

Forging Habits of Steel: 7 Tips on Making and Breaking Habits (http://artofmanliness.com/2009/12/07/forging-habits-of-steel-7-tips-on-making-and-breaking-habits/)

That's the first article I read and I am going to read it again and again and use it to help me in my life.

Habits make the man. Aristotle said, “We are what we repeatedly do.” If you want to be productive, you need the habit of planning. If you want to be physically fit, you need the habit of exercise. When you take a look at the habits in your life, what are they saying about you?

If you want to feel less restless and become more productive, it’s imperative that you break from your bad habits and develop good ones. When you have to decide every single day whether you’re going to go the gym, plan out your day, or read a good book, when you leave those choices up to your whims, to that day’s circumstances and your current mood, you’ll usually end up punting. It’s psychologically taxing to make the same decisions every day, and the more you fail to live up to your goals and break a contract with yourself, the less confident you become, and the less success you have with each new endeavor. As you begin to see yourself as a failure, it becomes a terrible self-fulfilling prophecy.

Men who feel like life is hard often have failed to form good habits. Every day is a struggle between what they want to do and what they end up doing instead. They can never find that groove, where the habits that make you stronger, healthier, and happier become almost automatic, giving you that feeling so central to a satisfied life: that of making continual progress.

If you’re not happy with where you’re at with your habits, below I’ve provided a few timeless tips that great men have employed to become the men they wished to be.

...and the article goes into the seven steps, good simple, easy to understand concepts that are founded in understanding and success.

This will assist me in improving my life and those around me.

Very manly if I may say so myself.