PDA

View Full Version : how to extend a 7 foot furled leader?

bark-eater
12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Hello, I am messing around with a crappie pole and just got a couple 7 foot furled leaders to try. I would like to add 4 feet or so to the overall length. I was considering extending the hook end with 8lb fluorocarbon or the pole end with 14 pound mono or 30 pound ice fishing line would work? Those are my choices on hand. Thanks, woody

CM_Stewart
12-13-2009, 10:55 AM
woody,

I've never used 30# icefishing line so I really can't comment on it. What material is it made of? Of the other two options, I think adding 8# fluoro to the hook end will work better than adding 14# mono to the pole end. The butt of your furled leader will almost certainly have greater mass than the 14# mono, which would likely cause your line to hinge at the junction of the two - preventing a smooth, accurate cast.

Of course, what I would do myself is to try all three and see what actually works the best.

None of the crappie poles I've tried (and I've tried a half dozen or so) will cast as light a line as a real tenkara rod, so if your furled leader - fluoro combo doesn't cast well, you might have to go up to a heavier line, either a longer furled leader or heavier a fluorocarbon level line. Of course, the heavier your line, the less delicate your presentation.

Whichever solution you end up with, you'll need to fish with a tippet lighter than 8#, though, because your rod may not survive if you hook a serious fish (I broke a cappie pole while using a tippet lighter than that).

bark-eater
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
The weather wasn't cooperating today. I tried 14# mono+medium furled leader+6# fluorocarbon+5x tippet. It didnt feel as good as a light furled leader+14#mono+6# fluorocarbon+5x tippet. Just about all of the combination's Ive tried will cast about 20 feet, but the rod develops a snap and shudder if overloaded. The shudder seems to stall the cast. The snap was reduced with a much lighter fly but is still there. I hope this means I can use a lighter leader. I had good luck with a cut down fly line from ebay, even with a breeze, but 14# mono wasn't any good in any wind. I will go through some more combos as the weather permits.

adam
12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/337cm-Portable-Tele ... 45efa8979a (http://cgi.ebay.com/337cm-Portable-Telescoping-11-Sections-Fishing-Rod-Pole_W0QQitemZ300373546906QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item45efa8979a)

$12 delivered.

I have a proper Tenkara rod, there fore I won't really promote it's use or even review it.

If you are going to get into it, buy a proper rod made for tenkara technique.

I just put this out there for those who may not be able to afford a nice tenkara rod, this is close and inexpensive.

bark-eater
12-14-2009, 06:35 AM
I was considering trying one of these:

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole-3.6.htm

bark-eater
12-14-2009, 09:11 AM
And ended up ordering this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0511991458 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220511991458)

bark-eater
12-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Rats..broke the Cabelas pole... while taking it down the section bellow the tip collapsed. Cabelas is sending a replacement. It was casting well with the light 7 foot furled leader 3 feet of 6# line and a 3 ft 5x tippet. Carbon fiber: One minute its there......

CM_Stewart
12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Rats..broke the Cabelas pole... while taking it down the section bellow the tip collapsed.

I know the feeling. I broke a Cabela's pole, too - though for me it was the next section below yours. I cannibalized one of my others (I'd tried all three lengths) and then broke it again on a fish.

I suppose they aren't a bad way to see if you like a significantly different fishing method without spending a lot of money, but they're really not the same as the real thing. And to be honest, compared to a fly rod, fly reel and fly line, the real thing really isn't all that expensive.

edited to add: If you try it for a while with either the Cabela's pole or one of the ebay poles, and decide you like it, you really do owe it to yourself to get a real tenkara rod.

adam
12-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Absolutely.

I don't think offering inexpensive alternatives does the discipline a disadvantage. People don't always want to go out and buy a Ferrari, they may want to start out with a Fiat first.

:D

Anyone who is going to go far with it is going to end up with a good Tenkara rod anyway...

Chris' advice is good.

bark-eater
12-14-2009, 01:50 PM
I did a quick repair with cellophane tape and tried out a level line from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290377762405&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

The line seems to cast farther, but need more of a flick get moving. It seems very wind sensitive and also was fouling the tip of the rod more often. The different types of lines all have different characteristics. I'm still favoring the cut down fly line, but will be getting a longer furled line. I realy think the practice fly I made is to heavy, so thats another variable to work with. Im glad i didnt have a real tenkara rod when i felt the rod section collapse in my hands... Im still trying to figure out the snap and quiver that happens when the fly reaches the end of the loop. Do the real tenkara rods do this when improperly "loaded"?

CM_Stewart
12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Im still trying to figure out the snap and quiver that happens when the fly reaches the end of the loop. Do the real tenkara rods do this when improperly "loaded"?

Yes, but not nearly as much because the tip section on a tenkara rod is extremely flexible, much moreso than on the Cabela's pole, and that takes up some of the "snap." I think the snap you feel at the end of the cast is the line straightening out fully without having dissipated all of it's energy to wind resistance so the remaining momentum tugs on the rod. If you are casting a line that is too heavy it is quite noticeable, and your cut down flyline is probably too heavy. On the other hand, if your line is too light it doesn't have enough energy and wind resistance kills the forward momentum before it can turn over the tippet. Probably the primary reason level lines in Japan are fluorocarbon rather than nylon mono like the ebay line is that it is much denser and thus less susceptible to wind resistance. Fluorocarbon casts much more easily, but mono is a lot cheaper and available in a range of hi-vis colors. As far as I know, the only hi-vis fluorocarbon for tenkara lines available in the US is the pink line that Tenkara USA sells. I think the ebay line might be more visible in low light conditions and 17# mono is heavy enough to cast, though not as easily as the 15# fluorocarbon.

LMarshall
12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Chris, you beat me to the punch! :lol:

Woody, If you find you're really interested in tenkara I'd recommend the Iwana from TenkaraUSA. At around $130 it's cost is really minor compared to what you'd spend on new fly line, reel, and rod, and I can guarantee you'll get just as much enjoyment out of it. I'm a broke college student, so cost is always a concern.

CM_Stewart
12-24-2009, 04:07 PM
I bought some of the 17# level line on ebay just to see what it was like. I haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but I think I'm going to like it quite a bit better than the 17# golden Stren which has been my low light line of choice. It is extremely visible - to the point where if I get skunked I'll probably blame it on the line for scaring the fish :mrgreen: . In low light conditions, though, I think it will be very nice indeed. I think I know what line it is, but if I'm right it's been discontinued and ebay seems to be the only remaining source. You can readily buy a very similar line in 15# or 20#, but 15# may be just a bit light and 20# is just a bit heavy (and I think it only comes in 900 or 650 yard spools - and just what are you going to do with the other 896 yards?).

I still prefer fluorocarbon except for low light conditions, though.