PDA

View Full Version : A Wild Friend

BrkTrt
11-22-2009, 07:04 PM
A wild friend who call this Massachusetts stream home.

He also calls this salty bay home too.

A sea run brook trout.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/salter2-2.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/DSCN6403.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/brookie47/DSCN6393-1.jpg

- Brk Trt

terry
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Very nice. I love those salters. Thanks

rsetina
11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
That's a beautiful brook trout. Nice looking water too.

Satoshi
11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I've just found Smallstream. com is open again, and found this post.
What a great looking fish!
So, brookies can go down to the sea.
Could you tell me how you can tell this is a sea-run form? Usually, sea-run salmonids appear more silvery in body color. I'm just curious, because I've never been heard of sea-run brook trout before.

BrkTrt
11-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I've just found Smallstream. com is open again, and found this post.
What a great looking fish!
So, brookies can go down to the sea.
Could you tell me how you can tell this is a sea-run form? Usually, sea-run salmonids appear more silvery in body color. I'm just curious, because I've never been heard of sea-run brook trout before.

They are born in fresh water where they remain until they can migrate to the bay. They remain there through the winter and then move back up into the cooler spring fed stream. They will stay there until they spawn, which can be anytime between Late September to mid November.

While in the salt they do change to a pale coloration but take on their brook trout colors once entering fresh water.

This guy was taken and released in late September at the tide water mark.

- Brk Trt

Satoshi
11-23-2009, 08:03 PM
They are born in fresh water where they remain until they can migrate to the bay. They remain there through the winter and then move back up into the cooler spring fed stream. They will stay there until they spawn, which can be anytime between Late September to mid November.

While in the salt they do change to a pale coloration but take on their brook trout colors once entering fresh water.

Interesting!
I used to think brook trout might be the only salmonid species without any relation to the sea. Now I know they are also like other salmonids, able to migrate to the seawater. Thank you for not only beautiful, but a very informative report.

rossa
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Interesting!
I used to think brook trout might be the only salmonid species without any relation to the sea. Now I know they are also like other salmonids, able to migrate to the seawater. Thank you for not only beautiful, but a very informative report.

Any pictures of Iwana for us by any chance?

Mostyn
11-24-2009, 06:34 AM
What a beautiful area! Great photos and a really interesting post.