PDA

View Full Version : Novemebr TR

Sean
11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Yesterday a bunch of friends and I went and fished an inland lake with an extended trout season. Inland trout closes at the end of Sept here in WI. It is typically slow there but the fish are big and aggressive but they don't like to eat much but will chase your fly clear across the lake if you could cast that far.

Hunter got the first fish of the day. This fish I would say is about average maybe even a little on the small side for the lake.

Hunter landing the fish with Todd rowing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/HansenRods/Fishing%202009/PB130001.jpg

Sage looks hungry
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/HansenRods/Fishing%202009/PB130002-2.jpg

Hunter had to leave around 11 and as we approached the boat landing waiting for Todd to jump in the boat with me and a friend named Scott who was crazy enough to drive all the way from green bay. Scott has only been fly fishing for about two years but jumped in head first and already owns a really nice Hyde drift boat which we were fishing out of. right at the boat landing I caught this nice butterball of a male around 20ish inches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/HansenRods/Fishing%202009/PB130003.jpg

He was my small fish of the day.

Scott was kind enough to row all morning so Todd and I continued to fish and had a lot of chases but around half an hour before we had to go I hooked with a really big hen. I spotted her just sitting in one spot which is unusual for these fish which we throw big streamers to on long leaders. So I just plopped my unweighted streamer on her head and didn't move it. She calmly and slowly took about 2 or 3 seconds took a look at it and then just sucked it in like it was a dry fly. I set the hook hard and she was there and just thrashed and fought hard. And I fish a leader that is easily over 12 feet long here since the fish are very line shy but I fish 8lb floro or mono since they don't seem to be too leader shy. The butt section of leader was well into my rod while I was fighting her. This fish was unbelievable and easily my most memorable fish this year. We all saw everything which was just awesome. You'll all have to wait for pics since I am waiting for Todd to email them to me. She was easily over 2 feet long. just a huge hen.

greendrake
11-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Can't wait to see that one.I feel sorry for all you guys that have early season closures.Our season in Maryland is open year round.
Will

Sean
11-15-2009, 03:04 PM
we have a lot of natural reproduction in our streams so the closure is to protect the spawning fish. I've found that the only month I don't really fish is december when those special lakes freeze and there aren't any migratory fish. Come january there are special spring ponds which the season opens for and they don't freeze over that I can fish until the normal trout season opens. I just have to change my targets and locations throughout the year and I can fish almost every month of the year.

Kollman
11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice trip report! You guys have inspired me to get out and chase some trout in our lakes in my kayak. See what fun I can find.

Sean
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
We do this every year. We do what we can to extend our season and stay away from the crowds on the tribs that are chasin the dying salmon. Once it gets a little colder we are usually the only people out there. It's been crowded the last few time due to the unusually warm weather.

Chef
11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Well done and great snaps!

Sean
11-30-2009, 12:47 AM
thanks

I'm still waiting for some pictures