PDA

View Full Version : A new way

greendrake
11-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I tend to get in ruts and stay there.Mostly,I think, because I believe in the old adage "If it ain't broke,don't fix it."
For quite some time I thought I had all the fly tying things I needed and didn't pay attention to new stuff.The other day I came across this video on a bobbin and thought I should get one for several reasons. One being that I've gotten back into fly tying again and two being that I use a fly tying bobbin to put the guides on bamboo rods with silk thread instead of using a rod wrapper.
So my question for you guys is: Are any of you using this bobbin and is it worth getting one.
All comments appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Will

http://moldychum.vodspot.tv/

Check out the video on the Ekich Automatic Bobbin

mikeytwoshoes
11-15-2009, 11:15 AM
will - that bobbin has intrigued me ever since it came on the scene. a beautiful design no doubt.
the price of the bobbin is prohibitive though. no way I can rationalize buying it.

and fwiw, I also wrap guides w/ a bobbin. it just works for me. far better than any tensioning device I've encountered or fashioned. nice to know that I'm not the only one.

Sean
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I've always wanted one as well but like Mikey can't afford one when standard ones seem to do the job just fine as well.

Kollman
11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I am in the same boat with you guys. I got to tie with one at a FFF event and really enjoyed it, but not for a $100. I have since seen it as low as $80, but until they get below the $50 mark, I won't even think about it. I thought I was getting crazy when I paid $22 for a Rite Bobbin. I like those for tying my deer hair flies, it gives me a little more grip when flaring the hair. Can do the same with any bobbin, but fits my hand better.

Sean
11-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I really like renzetti bobbins and they go for about 20 bucks a piece. I'd rather buy 5 more of those then the Ekich

jmeyerc
11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I am in the same boat with you guys. I got to tie with one at a FFF event and really enjoyed it, but not for a $100. I have since seen it as low as $80, but until they get below the $50 mark, I won't even think about it. I thought I was getting crazy when I paid $22 for a Rite Bobbin. I like those for tying my deer hair flies, it gives me a little more grip when flaring the hair. Can do the same with any bobbin, but fits my hand better.

I thought I was buying a wonderful thing when I bought a Timeco bobbin for $45 - it has been a problem which eventually came right, but have seen better bobbins for the same price if not a $1 cheaper in some cases. But I'm with you Kollman, I could not justify paying such a large amount for one.

Jeanne

greendrake
11-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. The video didn't mention the price nor could I find it on the website.I posted the question before doing any other research on the bobbin.Had I known that they were $100 :shock: I wouldn't even have bothered.That's rediculous for a bobbin.I thought that they would probably be a little pricey but it sure ain't justified in my book. :crazy:
Will

rsetina
11-17-2009, 01:26 AM
Will,

I bought a Nor-vise a few years ago and the bobbin that comes with it is not bad. I don't know how the Ekich Bobbin stacks up to the $50 bobbin from Nor-vise but here's link. He comes to shows around the country so if you can find one where he's going to be you can check it out for yourself. The $50 kit comes with 3 extra spools.
http://www.nor-vise.com

http://nor-vise.com/products/productpages/newimages_2008/Bobbin_Kit.jpg

greendrake
11-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks Rick, I'll check that one out.
Will

mikeytwoshoes
11-17-2009, 09:10 AM
gosh - since it's only $50 you can get two!
not me though.

Kollman
11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Looks like the Norvise dropped their prices a bit since I last looked at them. How easy is it to load thread on the bobbins from your normal thread spool?

terry
11-18-2009, 08:36 AM
That's expensive.

It's probably my lack of skill and experience, but I like the cheap ceramic tube bobbins you can pick up for around $10.

trout-nut
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree with Terry the el cheapo ones work just fine for me also. I'm still using the ones I bought 20 plus years ago. Don't even remember what kind they are.

Roy
01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I have played with that Ekich bobbin holder at a show, was really impressed that anybody would spend the price of two years' fishing licences on a tool that isn't a rod.
I use Rite bobbin holders for flimsy threads like Uni 8/0
otherwise Tiemco standard bobbins and similar suit me fine

If I were restricted to one tool it would be a standard mini bobbin holder.
You can throw away every other tool and still tie flies; to tie without a bobbin holder is a new learning curve.
I tied some seriously complex flies using no tools for Eric Austin's Luddite Challenge a few years ago, that was hard - and fun.
The hardest part was applying dubbing to an unsupported thread.

100 bucks for a bobbin holder, get a life, as mentioned above
:crazy:
:shock: :D :lol: :mrgreen:

jmeyerc
01-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Will,

I bought a Nor-vise a few years ago and the bobbin that comes with it is not bad. I don't know how the Ekich Bobbin stacks up to the $50 bobbin from Nor-vise but here's link. He comes to shows around the country so if you can find one where he's going to be you can check it out for yourself. The $50 kit comes with 3 extra spools.
http://www.nor-vise.com

http://nor-vise.com/products/productpages/newimages_2008/Bobbin_Kit.jpg

I've seen uTube vids of the nor-vise and the nor-vise bobbin, and it looks fantastic and so easy to use. if I was in the States I probably would invest in one myself.

Jeanne