PDA

View Full Version : wading boots

honda 450
11-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Those who have got to know me, on the old site & this new one, will know that i fish small water only, the tougher the better. In the last post Heading Upwards, the photo,s show, what i would call tough wading. I have waded a lot tougher that this. Hour after hour, your feet being twisted & tourchered, in this uneven, unforgiven surroundings. Where a lot of cheap wading boots, most likely woundn,t last long & become a danger, to your well being.
There are no room for mistakes here. But i feel that my boots, are not up to the job in hand, i have a pair of Orvis & simms. The Simms are the newer guide boots. Tough boots they are, but this kind of wading each time, i head out, might not have been on list, for the people who designed the boots.??
I would say that the boundries, for surport & general toughness , have been pushed a little further that the general boots are designed for. (( Maybe a lot )).
I had a pair of these a while back in my hand.

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5623

My first thoughts, where, these are one tough boot, next thought was, if only i had them with a felt sole & they where built for wading in water for countless hours.
These boots are built for what the mountains can throw at them & still come back for more.
I think every time i,m out, if only i had the surport & toughness of these mountain hiking boots, life would be so much more safer & enjoyable on stream, having the trust of your boots, to take you in & out in style.
I have looked at the Korkers with the different soles, a very good idea, but no better than the simms on build.

I have thought of getting,((( russells to build a pair of boots for my needs )), as the wading boot they have, doesn,t have the surport in the uppers, & most likely like all wading boots after a while will twist on the rocks, leading to feet being sore & the feeling of being worn out, after a hard day on stream.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/index.html

Any Thoughts, on Boots?????

We all talk about Rods, lines, ect. The most important to me is what is on the foot.

adam
11-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Wow, you posted two types of boots, one in each direction...

Be careful of Sportivas, they run narrow, make sure you can at a minimum, try them on before you buy or be able to send them back in exchange.

I've run the gammut on boots a long time ago. I'm a old climber, hiker, surfer and still have the mind of one, feet too. I've hiked ten miles in my flip flops, nice flip flops mind you. Dirt trails with some rock hopping. I've also used Orvis, Simms and Patagonia boots. I'm not sure who is doing the purchasing now for Patagonia but some years ago, it appeared that Yvon himself was. Their wading boots had a straight up alpine climbing boot look to them and they were very lightweight.

Both things important.

If you are walking boulders and un-even rock and ground, you will want support. Smearing footholds in your flexible shoes or sandals will leave your feet and ankles sore. You know this stuff. A heavy boot will work well to support your feet while in ackward positions but heavy is no fun a long way away from the car.

I'm not on a Patagonia kick but I would look there. I haven't looked in the last couple of months but I didn't like the looks of the latest offering in wading boots. Looks aren't everything though. As a matter of fact, I'll take comfort over looks anyday.

If I were going to purchase, and I am going to in the next few months, I'm going with the Simms Guide boots, the ones that look like mountaineering boots but I will be trying them on first, at a minimum, walking around in the store.

If you can find some new old stock Patagonia felts, I can absolutely recomend them without reservation. Walked a million miles in them, rock hopped, cliff climbed, happy.

I do like your idea of purchasing an alpine boot and re-sole them in felt or 5.10 rubber.

I really like that idea.

Gerard
11-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Cabelas use to sell those “lace up” boots with felt soles (combination between a hunting and wading boot) many moons ago. That was one of my all time favourite wading/hiking boots for stream fishing. I had a pair that lasted me close on 7 years – had it resoled twice, but finally had to retire them as the sole support started cracking and the seams finally gave way.

Right now I am using the Simms Guide Boots and they are good. I also have a pair of the original Simms Aqua Stealth guide boots that are as fine a wading boot as you are likely to find. Without going into the aqua stealth vs felt debate, I think those original boots were better than what I’ve seen being produced today.

JB in SC
11-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I attempt to stay out of the little streams as much as possible. I'm giving some thought to a pair of either Patagonias or Simms Headwaters with rubber sticky soles.

I have a pair of Chota felt soles, but they are like walking on ball bearings in leaves and pine needles.

FFCOL
11-15-2009, 11:03 PM
New member. For the last 2 seasons I've used Simms Riversheds with studded Aquastealth's and have loved them. They are light enough with good support and fairly durable. I've been told the new Goodyear soles are as good, but have not tried them. The Riversheds will be my next boot again. Iv'e seen a deal for Headwaters rubber sole for $80, depending on your size. PM me if you want.

Bryan

adam
11-21-2009, 02:49 PM
If I could find these in size 11, I would own a pair.

Bite "Converter" Fishing Boot.

[attachment=0:2h5slk2c]Bite_Converter.jpg[/attachment:2h5slk2c]

mikeytwoshoes
11-21-2009, 07:53 PM
why?

trout-nut
11-21-2009, 08:44 PM
I have the simms studed felt soles and I'm probably going to get a pair of the new vibram soles this spring.

adam
11-21-2009, 11:52 PM
why?

Good boots.

Comfortable, the sole is some sort of different sticky compound.

I know a guy who has them.

They don't make them any more.

Sean
11-22-2009, 09:26 AM
i've got a pair of simms freestones with the vibram soles. only thing i regret is not spending more and getting a lighter pair of boots but the freestones are wider boots and fit my feet well. I'm never going back to felt or anything else. these vibram soles have the best grip i've experienced yet.

Doctor
11-24-2009, 06:27 AM
I am an Orvis guarantee man, bought a pair of their top of the range with side zips a few years back,the moment I see any problem,ie felt coming away from the sole or studs coming loose they are back to the store ,on my 3rd pair now .
Dont think they are very well made, but they fit me well ,and gripp like glue on the slippery rocks we have on the upper Wye !
Same thing with waders ,bought a mid priced pair and am now upgraded to top of therange all for one initial outlay,first sign of leaks back they go!Latest pair are now 18 months in and get some wear,including my new toy float tubing.

Zac Sexton
12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
The sad part of this, is I doubt it will be any time soon the major boot manufacturers will go back to the mountaineering style of wading boot. I've talked with reps. from most the major boot suppliers, and it seems the major demand is for lightweight boots. Like Adam said, lightweight and durability don't really go hand-in-hand (though I think they could with the right materials and stitching...). I talked with a Simms rep. a couple years ago at the Retailer Show in Denver, and she said they were going to do a bit more with boots and fewer seams, i.e. solid synthetic leather without all the mesh and crap. I was expressing my concerns about boots wearing out rather early...

So far the best boot I've found for durability was designed by John Simms, in the late 80s (I think). I get the chance to fish with Morrison, one of his daughters, now and again, and she has a pile of her old man's gear, that I often borrow, b/c mine is usually worn out, or I forget it... :oops: But, on one particular trip to Pyramid Lake, my boots were pretty much just duct tape, and Morrison let me borrow a pair she got from her dad (who convieniently wears the same size boot I do!). They were Koflach (sp.?) designed mountaineering boots with felt soles. I think Morrison said they were more than a decade old and were what her dad originally designed for wading boots. At any rate, they looked only slightly used, like someone fished 'em for a weekend and put them on the shelf. John fishes harder than most--even at 72 years old he still rows clients down the Snake River, so they were used well before I got them. They were, in my mind, the epitome of what a wading boot should be. I told Morrison to tell her dad that I'd buy them from him, if he didn't need them. I never heard back...

So, what you need to do is the same thing, as Simms has moved away from that design idea. Get a cozy mountaineering boot (with synthetic leather...), and mount the Patagonia sticky soles on (if you are doing more hiking than walking on wet rocks), and I'd add studs. I've been testing boots w/ rubber soles, and have Simms & Patagonia in a couple models. My favorite for hiking and wading has been the Patagonia sticky rubber boots, but I added Simms studs, and they grip very well. And I've been a rather huge skeptic, and still have some testing to do on more granitic rock, as my last trips have been on basaltic rock primarily. I think the ideal boot, is the Koflach boot, with the Patagonia sticky rubber, with Simms' new stud that should be available soon, this winter. They have a triangular shape and are so sharp, they cut glass! The Kingfisher Fly Shop in Missoula might have some left. I ordered some and should have them when our seasonal orders are completed. But, you need to be sure you sew the rubber sole in... Most soles I've seen that are just glued, will eventually pop off and leave you cussing and bruised.

I hike a bit, myself, and find most wading boots are made for anglers sitting in drift boats, and/or those who fish big rivers with small substrates (gravel/sand), and just walk straight to the river from an access point. Except for the boots John Simms designed (which would be improved with rubber for hiking...), I have yet to find the perfect boot. Oh, and my solution to durability was to buy two pairs of boots, so I will have a back-up.

Man, I'm getting wordy, but I'm almost always thinking about this topic...You can also use AquaSeal, and glue the seams on the boot and high-wear areas, i.e. toes and sides of toes, before you fish. That will add lots of durability, and the ability to repair high-stress areas, before they cut through the stitching or wear through the boot.

Not sure this helps, but I smell what you're stepping in!

In Wild Waters,

Zac

adam
12-12-2009, 06:53 PM
http://secondascent.com/s/index.php?tar ... t_id=29925 (http://secondascent.com/s/index.php?target=products&product_id=29925)

Check those out.

I have had Koflach plastic shell mountaineering boots, I used them in the late 80's on for climbing and snowsurfing. I fancied myself climbing Everest, still have my ice axe... I loved them dearly, they hinged and worked very well. You could easily have them cobbled to any sole you wanted, that's what those guys do and the rubber is available.

Research it.

There are technical ice climbing boots that are hard shell and petite, also there are alpine approach slash ice climbing boots that nearly fit this ID.

Zac, I thought the two of us were alone in this, it is interesting to note your similar experience and for sure, I do appreciate your time invested in on this topic.

mikeytwoshoes
12-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I fancy yer old tired ass climbing everest.
likewise I fancy my little brother's old tired ass climbing everest.

you guys are nutz.

adam
12-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Mikey, I dream big, sometimes my dreams come true...

I'm going to take your comment as you understood what I was writing about.

I'm getting closer all the time with my UL backpacking kit, I dearly hope you are ready.

mikeytwoshoes
12-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Mikey, I dream big, sometimes my dreams come true...

I'm going to take your comment as you understood what I was writing about.

I'm getting closer all the time with my UL backpacking kit, I dearly hope you are ready.

ej thought he could climb everset too. as it were no problem. just continue to plod along. I see it as far more than that.

don't worry about me. I can walk forever. ready or not.

Chef
12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
I am going to use these in a few and will do a script on them. I've used a ton of different boots and use to really dig the Marlwalkers (Patagonia) for the saline plus hiking upstream. We'll see how these fair.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/rivers ... 223.106.75 (http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/rivershed_wading_boot_streamtread.html?id=2425VfoU :72.223.106.75)