PDA

View Full Version : It was a dark and stormy night...

gusstrand
11-10-2009, 02:01 PM
A fly fishing story... One sentence at a time. Add your sentence... one per day per person, please...

Today was the day I had decided to visit that stream I had seen along the road, meandering in to the woods...

mikeytwoshoes
11-10-2009, 02:53 PM
...strung up my rig and realized I had no flies w/ me...

trout-nut
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Found an old used and abused fly stuck in my hat.

Jax
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Tied it on and spat on it for good luck.

mikeytwoshoes
11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I smell like bamboo. that's just true. couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

Windknot
11-10-2009, 07:29 PM
So I ignored the one sentence, one post per day rules :lol: , and rubbed some stream gravel on me to get the bamboo smell off.

greendrake
11-10-2009, 08:44 PM
So I ignored the one sentence, one post per day rules :lol: , and rubbed some stream gravel on me to get the bamboo smell off.

:lol: :shaking2: :lol: :clap: I'm laughing so hard that I lost my train of thought.Now I'll have to wait until tomorrow to add my sentence.

adam
11-10-2009, 09:44 PM
laughing

Jax
11-10-2009, 10:05 PM
laughing is good for the sole, so I must go down to the sea to catch one. Or perhaps a Sea Run Trout.

Doctor
11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
laughing is good for the sole, so I must go down to the sea to catch one. Or perhaps a Sea Run Trout.

In wales of course we call them Sewin,not soles but the sea runs! Said in a Dylan Thomas accent.

gusstrand
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Our story so far:

Today was the day I had decided to visit that stream I had seen along the road, meandering in to the woods...

..strung up my rig and realized I had no flies w/ me...

Found an old used and abused fly stuck in my hat.

Tied it on and spat on it for good luck.

I smell like bamboo. that's just true. couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

laughing

In wales of course we call them Sewin,not soles but the sea runs! Said in a Dylan Thomas accent.

gusstrand
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
While the Dylan Thomas accent was in my head, I noticed that it was getting to be dusk, and citing Thomas, I looked to make a final cast... Do not go gentle in to that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Jax
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM
But fear not the coming of the night for with the night comes the moon by which to fish for trout by sound if not by sight.

papasequoia
11-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I knew where the lair of the big, brown trout was because I had seen it as it had exploded from the water in the fading evening light of the previous night, sending a shower of droplets flying in all directions as it leaped up and lunged for my cat which had wandered far out over the river on a quivering willow branch as it pursued a grasshopper.

[Good to see you back, smallstreams! The fate of my cat is in your hands.]

greendrake
11-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Knowing that the big trout was still there made me all the more determined to catch it,even if it meant using Tabby for bait :shifty:

Windknot
11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I quickly fired a cast at Tabby, snagging his collar with the used and abused articulated streamer(complete with spit) i had pulled from my hat, and caught him mid air on the backcast.

(That was a helluva sentence there papa!)

papasequoia
11-11-2009, 11:22 PM
(That was a helluva sentence there papa!)
:D Have you ever read the 'dark and stormy night' contest winners (Bulwer-Lytton contest)? Here's a link to the 2009 winners: http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/2009.htm

Jax
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Tabby hit the water running with the Vee of a huge bow wave closing down on him or her very rapidly.

greendrake
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
With one last heroic effort Tabby leaped and landed on terra firma as the maul of the huge trout snapped shut,my reel was screaming because Tabby was now into my backing as she streaked for the woods.

gusstrand
11-12-2009, 04:34 PM
during this feline flinging, I hadn't seen the deep yellow pair of eyes that had been monitoring the fracas from the shadows of a deep pine grove...

papasequoia
11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Fortunately the alien woman with the deep, yellow eyes that stepped naked but for a pair of hip waders from the forest was carrying a fly rod, because if it had been a spin rod I wouldn't have given her a second glance.

greendrake
11-12-2009, 05:27 PM
:lol: :shaking2: :lol: OMG I just spit a mouthful of coffee on my keyboard.cOULD YOU POST A PICTURE OF THAT ALIEN BY ANY CHANCE?

Windknot
11-12-2009, 05:44 PM
While I cranked down the drag on Tabby, the naked alien proceeded to the river and stepped into the run NOT 5 FT BELOW ME!!

Jax
11-12-2009, 05:49 PM
With a smile that turned my knees to jelly she asked if I had a spare fly. Now I was in a quandary Only one fly. What to do?

Mostyn
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
HE! Was a tall fair haired young man; he was carrying a 7ft, Cane Rod with a Hardy Reel and was using one of Mr, Zhu's silk lines!

Doctor
11-13-2009, 05:43 AM
HE! Was a tall fair haired young man; he was carrying a 7ft, Cane Rod with a Hardy Reel and was using one of Mr, Zhu's silk lines!

No I need to see more of the wadered one ,I screamed!

papasequoia
11-13-2009, 11:15 AM
The sun had broken from behind the clouds and momentarily blinded me but as it slipped back behind the clouds I saw that I had only been momentarily mistaken and that this was indeed one very gorgeous female alien, so as I continued to reel in Tabby from the woods I pondered on how the only problem I had to deal with now was what to do with someone who low-holes you on the river and then has the temerity to for your last fly, no matter how beautiful and naked they may be.

[There ya go Doc, back on track :sunny: ]

Mostyn
11-13-2009, 12:15 PM
The sun had broken from behind the clouds and momentarily blinded me but as it slipped back behind the clouds I saw that I had only been momentarily mistaken and that this was indeed one very gorgeous female alien, so as I continued to reel in Tabby from the woods I pondered on how the only problem I had to deal with now was what to do with someone who low-holes you on the river and then has the temerity to for your last fly, no matter how beautiful and naked they may be.

[There ya go Doc, back on track :sunny: ]

This was indeed a strange encounter; we were all being fooled! This alien has the ability to change the appearance of "GENDER" at will! He/she? had the prowess of a fine angler and cast a strait and true line up-stream; the presentation of fly on water was excellent! Obviously an accomplished dry fly angler.

papasequoia
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
A fly fishing story... One sentence at a time. Add your sentence... one per day per person, please...
:sunny: :ugeek:

Jax
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
:thumbup: :oops: ;)

Windknot
11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
As I was pondering the lowhole incident, a F&G officer in a black suit and dark glasses walked out with a large silver weapon and disintegrated the alien while simultaneously erasing any memory of the alien from mostyn's brain with a blue flash of light from what looked like a pen.

Mostyn
11-13-2009, 06:44 PM
As I was pondering the lowhole incident, a F&G officer in a black suit and dark glasses walked out with a large silver weapon and disintegrated the alien while simultaneously erasing any memory of the alien from mostyn's brain with a blue flash of light from what looked like a pen.

Thank goodness for that! Who Introduced the alien in to this fly fishing story? lets hope the Fish & Game officer got to him first!! Or it could turn up here again!!

greendrake
11-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Upon arrival back at my vehicle,I was still trying to determine the origin of all the snot-like globs of slime covering me and the thought that Tabby was nowhere to be seen never crossed my mind.

papasequoia
11-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Good efforts Windknot and GreenDrake, but it is going to take even more work to get this train back on the tracks (who was that masked man who introduced the alien, anyways?) :roll:

[youtube:3tyb2qfz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WszE4_hGZpk[/youtube:3tyb2qfz]

Mostyn
11-14-2009, 03:38 AM
Damn, looks as though the alien has been brought back by the masked man! The F&G guy missed him! Maybe his mind was on pussy? Fish eats Cat & Alien explodes; slime all over him! so disturbed by this event, his "Train of Thought Was Derailed"

Windknot
11-14-2009, 03:42 AM
And just as I was contemplating the strange events of the evening and preparing to go home, I realized that the HUGE trout I had seen earlier had gone unmolested (save for Tabby) and that there was still enough light to make it to the river for a few last casts( wish I had a nickel for every time I've told myself that!!)

RESET

greendrake
11-14-2009, 07:09 AM
And so,with all the stealth I could muster,I crept back to the sylvan glade.

Doctor
11-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Hoping to find the monster trout, would settle for the Alien Babe though ! :twisted:

papasequoia
11-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Somehow I had lost my last fly, (I had the strangest feeling that I had given it away), but fortunately I had a box of hooks in my overloaded vest, so I took one out, grabbed some strange looking fur off of a bush that looked like cat hair of all things, snipped a stray thread off of my olive-colored vest, and did the best I could to make a fly out of it, and all things considered I think I did fairly well, so I tied it on the end of my tippet and crept slowly to where I knew the big brown would be starting to feed.

[I can almost hear my sixth grade English teacher screaming about the run-on sentences...]

Jax
11-14-2009, 08:56 PM
And feeding he was on bite sized portions of topshelf cat food being pitched into the water by Jax who was calling here kitty here kittycat in a forlone voice tears streaming down his cheeks.

Mostyn
11-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Hell; what a night! Tying flies in the dark night, from bits of pussy fur and loose thread; and a coarse angler throwing cat food at a monster trout! I decided to move up-stream of these guys and get back to fly fishing with conventional methods.

greendrake
11-15-2009, 09:23 AM
And yet,even while moving upstream to get away from this bizarre spectacle,I felt compelled to keep glancing back for fear that I might miss something.

papasequoia
11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
As I looked back, I saw the monster brown exploding from the water, a mouth full of enormous teeth opening wider and wider as it closed in on Jax's hand which was in the process of tossing more cat food into the water!

(I tried to resist posting that sentence, I really did) :?

Jax
11-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Jax being no slouch immediately flung his hand back into the backhand position and the trout landed hard up against a nearby tree leaving Jax to rue his decision to interfere with the natural progression of things and checked the damage to his hand as the trout flip flopped it's way back into the water where it swam about in ever decreasing circles.

Mostyn
11-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Jax being no slouch immediately flung his hand back into the backhand position and the trout landed hard up against a nearby tree leaving Jax to rue his decision to interfere with the natural progression of things and checked the damage to his hand as the trout flip flopped it's way back into the water where it swam about in ever decreasing circles.

Around and around it swam until it disappeared in to the depths of darkness! But will Jax, need some stitches? or perhaps a plaster for his injured hand? hope it's not his casting hand.

Doctor
11-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Around and around it swam until it disappeared in to the depths of darkness! But will Jax, need some stitches? or perhaps a plaster for his injured hand? hope it's not his casting hand.
Any of Jax's hands are important ,have you seen a roughy?Especially tied with alien extra large cat fur?

Jax
11-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Actually Doctor; Had I had a "Roughy" to hand I would not have been throwing Cat Food at the trout but would have offered a roughy up and you know the end result would have been a Brown Trout in the bag then released and I am having my shredded fingers repaired with lots of Rum.

greendrake
11-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Leaving Jax with his bottle of rum I headed back to the vehicle thinking to myself "It's time to get out of this time warp!"

Doctor
11-17-2009, 05:23 AM
Liking fingers mended with rum ,well some time later I awoke with a very sore head!

Mostyn
11-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Liking fingers mended with rum ,well some time later I awoke with a very sore head!

And realised that the " Dark & Stormy Night" Was just a dream! Phew, what a relief! So feeling relieved of the terrible dream; I headed off for a spot of fishing on my favourite stream, where the small Brown Trout are perfectly formed and beautifully coloured with golden bellies and reddish brown spots; and the water is as clear as crystal.

Jax
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM

And realised that the " Dark & Stormy Night" Was just a dream! Phew, what a relief! So feeling relieved of the terrible dream; I headed off for a spot of fishing on my favourite stream, where the small Brown Trout are perfectly formed and beautifully coloured with golden bellies and reddish brown spots; and the water is as clear as crystal.

Only to realise that my trip up to my favourite stream was in fact part of this nightmare and the Monster Brown was an absolute reality just waiting for the next poor unwary fly fisher to show up and try to fool him and the big brown relished the shiver of anticipation that traveled down his spine.

Roy
12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
so Roy gave Jax a huge hopper to offer to the brute,
hell, if he doesn't want that we will have to revert to subtlety :o
it is, after all, a dream

Jax
12-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Having accepted the Hopper from Roy and tying it to his leader Jax offered up a cast more in hope than with any conviction and watched with bated breath as the Brown rose slowly up through the water only to have the fly snatched off it's nose by a cheeky little Rainbow.

Roy
12-06-2009, 07:19 AM
A couple of quick surges and the rainbow was done, Jax led him across the pool when there was a huge boil as the Monster Brown gulped down the rainbow and headed for the bottom

Mostyn
03-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Bug-ger me, where's Jax, looks like the monster brown trout; has pulled Jax in to the water! Down to the depths of the deep pool! I hope he re,surfaces soon!

Danny S
03-01-2010, 10:37 AM
But alas! just as I thought all was lost, I saw a rod tip stick up above the surface.

Mostyn
03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
The Rod Tip Was Hollow! He's using it to breathe under water!

Jax
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Now you must know that poor old Jax was struggling very hard to get back to the surface and using the rod as a breathing tube was due to his time in Africa where he learned the trick from a friend who used the technique to snare ducks which he found easier than stalking the ducks with a hollowed out Pumpkin covering his head.

But I digress. Jax was still working on getting back to the surface when it occured to him it was only his facination with being in a position to see the Big brown snug under the bank in a handy undercut looking at him with a Huge Grin on his face, was keeping his feet on the bottom. So; he pushed off from the bottom and made for the surface.

Fortunately Mosteyn was handy and managed to drag Jax onto the bank. After the customary Thankyou's and accepting a jocular jibe or two Jax settled down to check his rod and reel in anticipation of getting it on in the next round with the Monster Brown.

Mostyn
03-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Yes I must admit, Jax was looking no worse for ware; even after experiencing his underwater ordeal! The tough old begger carried on fishing; after checking the tackle was still in good order, of course!

Jax
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Sad to say the Monster was not seen again that day. So Jax gathered up his gear and headed home well aware he had been given a lesson in how to outsmart a fly fisher by a crafty old brown. Tomorrow will be another day. ;)

Mostyn
03-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Yesterday is History! Today, bright and early saw the dawn break in to a clear blue sky! could not wait to get back fishing on that beautiful small stream.

erics beetle
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
For he knew that no one had ever shot the falls in a wicker basket before and was purple lycra and harris tweed the correct clothing to be seen in...

Mostyn
03-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Or would this Idiotic Garb, frighten the small wild inhabitants? These blo-ody boat people get everywhere! Spoils the tranquillity of fishing a small stream!

erics beetle
03-12-2010, 05:30 AM
The boat people , those strange clinker built folk inhabiting the hills and valleys of wales. For whom the term rowlocks is not just a double entendre

Mostyn
03-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Alas, the west Walian was thwarted! His Coracle of woven Willow, was too large for a beautiful small stream!