PDA

View Full Version : The Snake and the Brown Trout

rayfound
11-07-2009, 12:25 AM
A few weeks ago, a couple friends and I were fishing a small stream here in Southern California, and I got this video of a snake latched onto a Brown Trout.

A few months earlier, I had caught this fish from that hole... I mean, the exact 2 square foot spot... I can't help but wonder if its the same fish.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o162/Rayfound/Brown.jpg

Eventually I was able to free the fish using a couple sticks from nearby trees. He seemed fine afterward.

Honestly, if it was a 5-8' trout, I would have just watched the snake eat it, but as it was a really nice fish (and it really didn't look like that snake had any chance of swallowing it... but with snakes you never know), I decided I like fish a heck of a lot more than I like snakes... so I freed the fish, who seemed to recover rather well from the ordeal.

Pardon my language.

[youtube:6epawxb2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbirXzyiHQ&feature=autofb[/youtube:6epawxb2]

trout-nut
11-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I believe that snake bite off a little more than it could handle. Nice pics. :D

3creeks
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I'd like to see the sequel it was too short! Nice work, though. Let's see... Brown Trout...I'm guessing West Fork SG, yes? The snakes are out in force this year. I've seen 7 rattlers and numerous other snakes in my travels around So. Cal. That one was more aggressive than most.

ofuros
11-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Not something you see happen everyday...I love these little, perhaps, once in a lifetime moments, we stumble across when streamside.
Captured on film too.....I'm impressed :o

Kirby
12-20-2009, 11:12 AM
was this on Bear Creek?

Gerard
12-21-2009, 03:42 AM
I’ve witnessed the opposite occurrence on a small stream near Cape Town – a small snake was crossing a pool and got attacked by a brown, smaller than the snake mind you. The snake got away and the brown seemed pi$$ed – I hooked him straight after the incident – I think he was even more pi$$ed then. :lolno:

Brooktrout
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
that was one ambitious snake.

Chef
01-12-2010, 10:43 PM
very cool :)