PDA

View Full Version : Pebble Mine Argument

Mostyn
11-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Hi Eric,

Firstly, let me say, I'm not surprised you were awarded an A'' Grade for this Essay!

Secondly, I hope the people from the Bristol Bay area continue to fight for the preservation of such a beautiful environment! Why is it that Mans desire for wealth takes president over what Mother Nature has nurtured and sustained for thousands of years? The answer is GREED! Lets hope the Mining Company and it's Financiers are never allowed to dig for minerals of any kind in such a wonderful place.

Mostyn

ags
11-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi, I remember your post/request for suggestions posted on the "Old Board". Will read your work (and comment later) because what you have found and developed will be applicable to other places where they want to destroy the environment for a few quick pennies for a few greedy people.
ags.

ags
11-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Here's another "paper" you might find interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/19/sport ... stery.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/19/sports/outdoors-from-england-fishing-s-international-man-of-mystery.html)

Some of those old guys like Marshall Tito and Generalissimo Francisco Franco new exactly how to protect the environment. As did the rich guy, Peter Powers - he hired the poachers who would obviously know who "done it" if any poaching occurred on their streams/lakes!

ags
11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Suggest that you do a Summary of 4 or 5 pages which (1) summarizes the benefits and costs in dollars associated with developing the mine and (2) summarizes the benefits and costs in dollars associate with saving and keeping the land as nature created it over that 60 year time frame. (Am assuming that the net economic contribution of keeping things natural will exceed the net contribution of the mine.) If so, then send it and the composition to your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives and some of the appropriate committees in both the House and Senate that deal with conservation and environmental issues.

Know that you have already done this, but would suggest that you again thoroughly scrutinize the number of jobs that the mining interests say they are creating. Having been exposed to quiet a few economic development interests and groups during my working years, I can say that they do exaggerate their benefits - like the number of jobs they create and the economic value of their contribution to the economy of an area. They also tend to overlook and understate the costs of the environmental and social damages they do to an area.