PDA

View Full Version : a little help? ideas? suggestions for lightweight rod tube

adam
11-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I am going to do a little thru-fishing with an overnighter or two on a couple of local streams. I will fish Tenkara style and fly fish as well. My rods are 26" lengths when broken down. I will also carry minimal fly gear, the one reel and a small line wallet for the Tenkara lines and fly fishing leaders.

I am looking for suggestions for THE lightest way to stow the rods. Absolutely the lightest way to carry them both or individually in the back pack. The Tenkara rod I can carry by itself as it is telescoping, I don't mind if the first section gets a little beat up but if there is a solution where I can get my flyrod (a bamboo by choice) and the Tenkara rod both in there, all good.

I'm thinking maybe I should just get the smallest diameter, petite thin wall aluminum tube 7071 aluminum or ? for the bamboo and strap the Tenkara rod or stuff it next to that tube in it's sock. The other pieces just tuck them here and there in the pack.

What is the lightest but servicable rod tube for a fly rod?

I'm sure footed, I don't fall much at all and certainly when I hike, I will be even more conservative. I'm concerned with the weight of the tube and the pack as I have not stuffed a fly rod tube in a back pack before. I am looking at each component of my back packing kit, shaving as many ounces and grams as possible.

The funny thing is, I could probably lose 30lbs of body fat and carry a normally configured kit!

*blushing*

Thanks in advance.

Any tips are gratefully appreciated.

I am detailing my exploits in ultralight backpack thru-fishing at the public side of grassart.net found HERE (http://www.grassart.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=ec3bf984fbf4591ba38411e6619b5cc6).

Ernest
11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Adam,

The budget solution is to go to the local frame shop and ask if you can do a little dumpster diving for the sturdy mailing tubes that prints come in before they are framed. They come in various diameters and lengths. Most are cardboard, but that makes them all the easier to cut down to size, and then discard after a few trips.

I use a couple of large diameter ones for map storage at home.

My frame shop also gave me a bombproof plastic tube about five feet long that was in the center of the roll of paper that they use to wrap their framed work. It's too big for backpacking, about 4" in diameter, but I cut it down and made end caps, and it's great for carrying three or four rods together in the car, rather than having three or four individual cases rattling around back there.

adam
11-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Ernest, that is very kind of you.

I'm looking for something super light.

Every component of my pack is going to be weighed both on a scale and in my mind if I absolutely need it or not. The Tenkara rod is pretty hardy and can survive on it's own in or strapped to the pack as it is a telescopic graphite rod and in it's closed position, much of that section is protected by the handle (I use a pine handle version). The bamboo pack rod is being made and it is quite a beautiful rod to behold. I would just bring a beater stick if I didn't care but I do care what I fish, especially in pristine places. I chose a really nice rod to carry. I need to protect it, I guess it is at the core of the question. I guess it would be pretty hard to beat the light weight of a petite aluminum tube, probably only by a graphite tube or even some sort of plastic. For the few grams saved, it's probably best I save them somewhere else, like my waistline.

But I posted the question because I am sure there are others before me who have tackled this already.

That was cool of you.

Thank you.

Doctor
11-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Adam,
hi long time no speak !
Guess I would look for some of the lite weight plastic drainage tubing from your local plumbing merchant ,the new white stuff we have in the uk seems to weigh next to nothing ,hope you have something similar over there,end caps could be screw tops of glass containers held in place with duct tape or electricians insulating tape.

adam
11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking of adding a small bit of mylar to the rod bag, will serve purpose and very light weight.

adam
11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
hi long time no speak !

He Doc, thanks for the tip.

Glad to be back and glad to see you back.

Doctor
11-10-2009, 12:03 PM
hi long time no speak !

He Doc, thanks for the tip.

Glad to be back and glad to see you back.

Missed you to bro , good to be back on track as it were.

Glad to have some internet continuity ,nice to see Chef and the rest of Big cat joining in.Chef was a major help some 3 /4 years ago on some menu ideas,top man !

JB in SC
11-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Adam,

I don't know if these are tough enough but appear to be lightweight.

http://www.cleartecpackaging.com

I have no association with the business.

Best,
JB

adam
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Perfect, close to my mylar idea. I'll look into it and good to see you back!

Stephen
11-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Is the issue material of the tube; or how it is drilled for lightness while maintaining structural integrity? Think ultralight reel ...

papasequoia
11-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Check out this spot:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking_fly_fisherman.html

Where this 4 oz. tube is mentioned:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ultralight_fishing_fly_rod_case.html

Jon

adam
11-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Check out this spot:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking_fly_fisherman.html

Where this 4 oz. tube is mentioned:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ultralight_fishing_fly_rod_case.html

Jon

YESSSS!!!

Jon, you are the man, thank you.

EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Now I know I'm on the right track.

rsetina
11-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Adam,

The fluorescent tube guards you can buy at the hardware store are 2.5 inches inside diameter, and the white PVC caps fit perfect. You may be able to find a rubber cap that fits well too.

Theo
01-03-2010, 06:06 AM
For the past few years I've been carrying my little 5-piece pack rod in a telescopic black plastic poster tube (branded MHWay) which I picked up in an art supply shop in central London.

It's 2.5" in diameter, very lightweight, complete with shoulder straps on each end... and now as far as I can tell out of production... which is a shame since I shortened it slightly to suit the 5-piece pack rod, and would love another one or two for other rods which are slightly longer. Fatter tubes around 3.25" are now available, but the slimline strikes me as better: you might want to keep an eye out for something similar?

Theo

adam
01-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Theo, I am all set with the transparent tubes JB linked me to.

I have seen the tube you are describing at a art supply store here. Can't remember the name but same configuration. They are also used for blueprints...

Thanks for your suggestion.

Dig your web sites by the way.

Theo
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Dig your web sites by the way.

Thanks Adam... they keep me amused anyway ;)

Theo

cfr
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Dunno if you have found your solution yet, but what about thin-walled Carbon tubes??? For caps you can have a very light wood pop-in cap turned, or the plastic pop-in caps.